Thread: Pre-paid question [from Canada]

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Pre-paid question [from Canada]

Hi

I am from Canada and would like to visit the States [Florida] to see family. While visiting the states, I would like to get a pre-paid phone where I will be using it solely as emergence only [I contact family or they call me]

I will be going there in 2 weeks and I have a couple/few questions before buy one when visiting.

I am thinking of buying the $100 pre-paid voucher for 365 days as I'll be going back another couple times after within the year.

When looking at the att website for pre-paid, I have 2 choices for very minimal use ... $0.10 per mins or $2 Daily Unlimited Plan.

1. Which of these plans would be more beneficial for me with very very minimal use and would last 365 days before I have to refill again? [I know both the $2 per only deduct if I make a call or activity but not sure if it's worth it since i'll be with family]

2. While I am back in Canada before going back to the States again ... lets say 3 months or slightly more in between, will leaving my phone off be okay without in activity? should I turn on the phone just to have connectivity and turn it off after?

thanks,
    chris

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    On the $0.10 per minute plan, you can talk for up to nineteen minutes for less than what one minute costs on the $2.00 per day plan. There is no need to turn the phone on while in Canada. If the phone is not a smartphone, you have to be careful about pay-per-use data charges depleting your balance.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile_expert View Post
    A. I am thinking of buying the $100 pre-paid voucher for 365 days as I'll be going back another couple times after within the year.
    1. Which of these plans would be more beneficial for me with very very minimal use and would last 365 days before I have to refill again?
    2. While I am back in Canada before going back to the States again ... lets say 3 months or slightly more in between, will leaving my phone off be okay without in activity? should I turn on the phone just to have connectivity and turn it off after?
    Okeh...

A. If you're ready to buy $100 in airtime, several companies are good choices. $100 is 1000 minutes - this is alot. Seek more advice.
    1. I also like the 10-cent plan for your "minimal use."
    2. I'd expect no problem with the phone off.
    Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    Huawei GR5
    Carrier(s)
    Primus/Citifone
    Feedback Score
    I bought a $5 AT&T Go phone when I went to Colorado for Christmas. I chose the $2/day plan because it meant that on the days I made no calls, I didn't pay anything. The days I made calls I usually made several calls to US and Canada. The phone works on Rogers here in Canada but of course costs more. I can check my balance for free, and $100 keeps the phone active for a year. Oddly, the phone did not work in Chicago, giving me a "Emergency Calls Only" message as if there were no SIM in it. It will work in Mexico (says AT&T) but it will not work outside North America. It wouldn't even look for networks in France. I didn't know this because I didn't read the AT&T Go fine print, and I made the (naive) assumption that a GSM phone would work on GSM networks. Ha! As long as I stay in Colorado, Canada, Mexico (I hope) but not Chicago or France, this burner phone will do what I need.

Device(s)
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 on Bell
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    This is good to know, as I am going to Disney World for 10 days and need coverage. I refuse to fork over $1/minute to Rogers for their minimal US roaming plan.