Thread: Questions About GSM/Functionality in US

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Questions About GSM/Functionality in US

Hello there. I've got a couple of questions regarding using Japanese phones in North America. I'm new to this so bear with me!

I currently live in the US under an 850/1900 GSM frequency. A friend of mine has used a phone from South Korea before without the 850 frequency, and it didn't work, so whenever we browse international phones, we always make sure there's 850 available. I purchased my own South Korean phone a couple years ago and though 850 was available, the reception was sketchy and it added an extra number in front of my phone number, so I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to these phones.

So as I'm browsing unlocked Docomo phones on eBay just out of curiosity, I notice that most of them do not carry 850 on the GSM, but it's available on 3G. So out of experience, because 3G is available in my area, would the phone still be compatible? I understand the point that 3G data wouldn't work, I'm only concerned about talk and sms texting. I would love to invest in one of these beauties in the future, but it'd be devastating if it wouldn't work over here, since they are quite expensive.

Any help making sense of this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What carrier are you?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm with AT&T. I actually just emailed the guy who runs Kyoex, and he says that Docomo phones run perfectly on AT&T's 3G network. So I'm hoping that would mean I won't have to do much narrowing down besides the high prices of these phones?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah he's right although you only use the GSM/ GPRS on the network. 3G on keitais don't work in the US :P

What phone(s) do you have in mind?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well, I was looking into a cheaper starter model, because the one I'd love to have is the Fujitsu F-02D, but it's pretty expensive. But when I was looking at that phone, and much like a lot of the models, 850 is not on the GSM Network, so that's why I asked the question. While I have a 3G SIM card, will it automatically go on that network, where the phone does have the 850 frequency? I know the internet and data won't work, I just care about being able to make and receive phone calls and texts.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    need to find out if your area has at least 1900 gsm and 850 3g, some phones might be able to let you see what tower you are on and freq

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoolchoi View Post
    Yeah he's right although you only use the GSM/ GPRS on the network. 3G on keitais don't work in the US :P

What phone(s) do you have in mind?
    Actually more recent Docomos have 850 3G that is compatible with AT&T's 3G and any other carrier that supports that band for 3G. Also, like aw said, make sure you have 850 in your area otherwise you may get stuck with 1900 GSM (EDGE).

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    i honestly think att runs only gprs in most parts of my area on 1900. At my school, was it was the only place my sh1810c saw edge

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia Z5 Premium E6853
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / T-Mobile Germany / Orange Poland /
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Some phones as far back as N-02A for me at least was able to hop on AT&T's 850Mhz 3G and it actually made my overall battery life on that phone a whole lot longer than in GPRS/GSM.

It's all good (^_^)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...668534-IonNuke <<< My Feedback... rising from the dead.

Everyone's on their own for hypersims. I'm out har har har har har~~~~

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Alright, so I found wirelessadvisor.com and it just told me that in my area, both 850 MHz an 1900 MHz are available; I couldn't find out which one is used more often over the other.

So I'm thinking as long as the 3G is compatible, I might be okay, though my intentions are telling me to maybe keep looking and be absolutely positive I'll get it to work. Thanks for the help guys!

Device(s)
    SH-01F, F-01F, SO-04E, SO-02F, F-02F, F-02D
    Carrier(s)
    Docomo
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As long as you have 850mhz availability, then 3G will work just fine

Im 100% sure of this, seeing as I have thousands of customers in the USA who are using Docomo phones on AT&T's 3G network

Also a few of my close friends living in California are using docomo phones just fine with their AT&T 3G simcards

^_^
    Pew Pew Keitai Lazer~~~~

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well, that takes care of that! Thanks for being so helpful, Kyoex!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoex View Post
    As long as you have 850mhz availability, then 3G will work just fine

Im 100% sure of this, seeing as I have thousands of customers in the USA who are using Docomo phones on AT&T's 3G network

Also a few of my close friends living in California are using docomo phones just fine with their AT&T 3G simcards

^_^
    Hi! I'm considering buying a docomo android phone from you off of ebay later on but I wanted to wait a little until I was absolutely sure about it. You said your customers can use the docomo phones on at&t, but not t-mobile, right? is it because t-mobile uses the AWS system? Also, were they able to get online/use the internet along with getting calls and messages just fine?

I just want to know for sure that I can fully use the phone (calls, text messaging, as well as using the market and internet, etc.) if I'm going to switch carriers, as I am with a carrier that uses CDMA, so I was hoping to move to t-mobile, but if what I read is true, then I would have to go to at&t instead to be able to use it and get full functionality?

Device(s)
    Docomo Aquos SH-04F
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm on AT&T and i have a Softbank 923SH I bought only got GSM signal but I was able to get text messages (In and out) and calls (In and out). Had NO cpr issues. Just wished I was able to atleast get picture messaging. ( I was excited to see on my phone when it said "Data Packages: Available") :P