Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jump back into contract with the GSIII?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P (personal)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (personal)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Hi,

I've been out of contract since April with my precious grandfathered, unlimited data plan.....

What is the worst that can happen? If they forcefully take it away, I can hopefully leave without paying an ETF? I know even then, these companies will literally fight tooth and nail to keep you from leaving without paying them an ETF, they will never let you go that easily, even if they breach their own end of the contract.
    I would be very careful about this. You state that you are currently out of contract. If you purchase a subsidized GSIII, you will be forced to sign a new 2 year contract. Since you ARE currently out of contract, that would mean this is not an upgrade or contract extension and you would be forced to pick from a family plan or a tiered data plan, meaning you would lose your unlimited data.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Feedback Score
    You can try going to the VZW website to pre-order the S3. Select "Existing Customer" and go thru the steps. When you get to the section for plan selection, see if they let you keep your current plan and options. Just don't go too far and confirm the order. However, you'd have to enter credit card info to complete the order.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by inkdesigner View Post
    I would be very careful about this. You state that you are currently out of contract. If you purchase a subsidized GSIII, you will be forced to sign a new 2 year contract. Since you ARE currently out of contract, that would mean this is not an upgrade or contract extension and you would be forced to pick from a family plan or a tiered data plan, meaning you would lose your unlimited data.

I have been out of contract for 2+ years (buy my phones on EB and CL). I am able to pre-order the SIII and keep my current plan, including unlimited data.

Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by inkdesigner View Post

That's a good point you brought up. I did go online to pre-order and I was able to retain my unlimited data plan, fortunately. Yet, I am still comtemplating to get back into contract with them regardless. I know I only have one week left before they really kill off unlimited data for all upgraders. Again, I have no problem buying a GSIII or other phones off contract, but if I can get it for cheaper and retain my unlimited data, why not, I say?

I am anxiously looking at Sprint and how they will fare with their unlimited LTE data.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    That's a good point you brought up. I did go online to pre-order and I was able to retain my unlimited data plan, fortunately. Yet, I am still comtemplating to get back into contract with them regardless. I know I only have one week left before they really kill off unlimited data for all upgraders. Again, I have no problem buying a GSIII or other phones off contract, but if I can get it for cheaper and retain my unlimited data, why not, I say?

I am anxiously looking at Sprint and how they will fare with their unlimited LTE data.
    As long as you don't see yourself desperately wanting to leave Verizon in the next two years (I know that can be difficult to predict at times), I say go for the subsidized phone and lock in unlimited for two years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2