Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Jump back into contract with the GSIII?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A
    Posts
    326
    Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    0

    Jump back into contract with the GSIII?

    Hi,

    I've been out of contract since April with my precious grandfathered, unlimited data plan. My main concern is to keep the unlimited data feature. I have no problem paying full price for all future devices to keep it as long as possible. But I've thought that since I have an upgrade available, why not get locked into 2 more years of it and get a GSIII cheaper in the process until the 28th, when that's no longer possible?

    I'd hate to get into contract with such a company, as I've been quite upset with all the negative consumer actions they've taken in just the last 18 months alone. But I'd like to lock myself in at least to keep the unlimited data as it may be taken away from me anytime while I am month-to-month. Even if they leave it as it is, why not score a GSIII for $250 instead of $650?

    What is the worst that can happen? If they forcefully take it away, I can hopefully leave without paying an ETF? I know even then, these companies will literally fight tooth and nail to keep you from leaving without paying them an ETF, they will never let you go that easily, even if they breach their own end of the contract.

    I'm guessing more likely is that within a few months, they will start throttling unlimited plans just as ATT started to do last year, but which would not affect contract so I'd have to keep going or leave and definitely pay the ETF.

    I am highly doubting that Verizon will let me keep unthrottled, unlimited data until at least June of 2014, while they are slowly and surely moving as many customers as they can to their tiered plans and salivating at higher ARPU and overage fees.

    I'm wondering if I should head into my local store this weekend. I have a gift card available for use as well but when pre-ordering online, their system stated the card could only be used in store, I guess that's only for pre-orders then.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,325
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Go for it. That's what most of us are doing in the next week.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,993
    Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    What is the worst that can happen? If they forcefully take it away, I can hopefully leave without paying an ETF? I know even then, these companies will literally fight tooth and nail to keep you from leaving without paying them an ETF, they will never let you go that easily, even if they breach their own end of the contract.
    As it looks like today, as long as your keep your contract that contains unlimited data, you stay under that contact even if past the mandatory 2 year minimum time.

    If you choose to ask Verizon for a new contract, for whatever reason, then Verizon will require that new contract to contain one of their then-current data plans (tiered, shared, or whatever the future holds).

    Can you live with your current plan and your GSIII forever? Even as others move onto new technicalities? Even as Verizon might "tease" you with something new? Only you can answer that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    260
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Hi,

    I've been out of contract since April with my precious grandfathered, unlimited data plan. My main concern is to keep the unlimited data feature. I have no problem paying full price for all future devices to keep it as long as possible. But I've thought that since I have an upgrade available, why not get locked into 2 more years of it and get a GSIII cheaper in the process until the 28th, when that's no longer possible?

    I'd hate to get into contract with such a company, as I've been quite upset with all the negative consumer actions they've taken in just the last 18 months alone. But I'd like to lock myself in at least to keep the unlimited data as it may be taken away from me anytime while I am month-to-month. Even if they leave it as it is, why not score a GSIII for $250 instead of $650?

    What is the worst that can happen? If they forcefully take it away, I can hopefully leave without paying an ETF? I know even then, these companies will literally fight tooth and nail to keep you from leaving without paying them an ETF, they will never let you go that easily, even if they breach their own end of the contract.

    I'm guessing more likely is that within a few months, they will start throttling unlimited plans just as ATT started to do last year, but which would not affect contract so I'd have to keep going or leave and definitely pay the ETF.

    I am highly doubting that Verizon will let me keep unthrottled, unlimited data until at least June of 2014, while they are slowly and surely moving as many customers as they can to their tiered plans and salivating at higher ARPU and overage fees.

    I'm wondering if I should head into my local store this weekend. I have a gift card available for use as well but when pre-ordering online, their system stated the card could only be used in store, I guess that's only for pre-orders then.
    "Precious grandfathered unlimited data plan" at what monthly total price? $90 , $100 $120 ?

    Sent from my LG-P509 using HowardForums

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A
    Posts
    326
    Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaco1 View Post
    "Precious grandfathered unlimited data plan" at what monthly total price? $90 , $100 $120 ?

    Sent from my LG-P509 using HowardForums
    Currently, I'm paying around $60 after taxes with a 450 minute single plan, PAYG texting and unlimited data. This is because of a 25% education discount I got from my university.

    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    As it looks like today, as long as your keep your contract that contains unlimited data, you stay under that contact even if past the mandatory 2 year minimum time.

    If you choose to ask Verizon for a new contract, for whatever reason, then Verizon will require that new contract to contain one of their then-current data plans (tiered, shared, or whatever the future holds).

    Can you live with your current plan and your GSIII forever? Even as others move onto new technicalities? Even as Verizon might "tease" you with something new? Only you can answer that.
    After the GSIII, I have no problem buying all future 4G phones off-contract to keep my unlimited data for as long as possible. I am one to switch phones frequently and the full retail price doesn't bother me. I'll bet once they launch their LTE-Advanced "5G" phones, they will say my unlimited data plan is not compatible with those devices in their billing system, and I'd have to switch to tiered data.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    927
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Currently, I'm paying around $60 after taxes with a 450 minute single plan, PAYG texting and unlimited data. This is because of a 25% education discount I got from my university.



    After the GSIII, I have no problem buying all future 4G phones off-contract to keep my unlimited data for as long as possible. I am one to switch phones frequently and the full retail price doesn't bother me. I'll bet once they launch their LTE-Advanced "5G" phones, they will say my unlimited data plan is not compatible with those devices in their billing system, and I'd have to switch to tiered data.
    Pretty sure LTE advanced is backwards compatible with older LTE release equipment. So long as you can live with 75mbps max speed on your phone it shouldn't be an issue, and 75mbps will be enough for at least the next 4 years I bet. Plus LTE Cat 4 or 5 devices might come out and still be compatible with the unlimited plan letting you get 150mbps or 300mbps on unlimited.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,406
    Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Hi,

    I've been out of contract since April with my precious grandfathered, unlimited data plan. My main concern is to keep the unlimited data feature. I have no problem paying full price for all future devices to keep it as long as possible. But I've thought that since I have an upgrade available, why not get locked into 2 more years of it and get a GSIII cheaper in the process until the 28th, when that's no longer possible?

    I'd hate to get into contract with such a company, as I've been quite upset with all the negative consumer actions they've taken in just the last 18 months alone. But I'd like to lock myself in at least to keep the unlimited data as it may be taken away from me anytime while I am month-to-month. Even if they leave it as it is, why not score a GSIII for $250 instead of $650?

    What is the worst that can happen? If they forcefully take it away, I can hopefully leave without paying an ETF? I know even then, these companies will literally fight tooth and nail to keep you from leaving without paying them an ETF, they will never let you go that easily, even if they breach their own end of the contract.

    I'm guessing more likely is that within a few months, they will start throttling unlimited plans just as ATT started to do last year, but which would not affect contract so I'd have to keep going or leave and definitely pay the ETF.

    I am highly doubting that Verizon will let me keep unthrottled, unlimited data until at least June of 2014, while they are slowly and surely moving as many customers as they can to their tiered plans and salivating at higher ARPU and overage fees.

    I'm wondering if I should head into my local store this weekend. I have a gift card available for use as well but when pre-ordering online, their system stated the card could only be used in store, I guess that's only for pre-orders then.
    If they forcefully take unlimited data, that's a material breach of contract, and you walk with no ETF and a device you can re-sell. Translation: they're not going to. If they did anything, it would be throttling, but considering no one even noticed their 3G throttling policy, so I doubt it would be anything on 4G.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A
    Posts
    326
    Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just walked into a VZW store today and the store rep said if I upgrade to the GSIII, I would lose my unlimited data plan since its being released after June 28th and a customer service rep said the same thing. Quite surprising. But they said I can upgrade to any current device before the 28th like the RAZR Maxx and keep the unlimited data plan. Anyone else hear this?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    143
    Carrier(s)
    Vrizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    I just walked into a VZW store today and the store rep said if I upgrade to the GSIII, I would lose my unlimited data plan since its being released after June 28th and a customer service rep said the same thing. Quite surprising. But they said I can upgrade to any current device before the 28th like the RAZR Maxx and keep the unlimited data plan. Anyone else hear this?
    You spoke to two people who didn't know what they were talking about. Try a third person. If they give you the same answer, ask them to look it up really quick.

    Sent from my SCH-I800 using HowardForums

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A
    Posts
    326
    Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyDodge View Post
    You spoke to two people who didn't know what they were talking about. Try a third person. If they give you the same answer, ask them to look it up really quick.

    Sent from my SCH-I800 using HowardForums
    Maybe 3rd time is the charm. I thought it was strange since I am able to pre-order it online through VZW and keep the unlimited data. But I'd hate to pre-order it and get changed to a tiered data plan out of the blue. I want to pre-order in store because I have a gift card where the website stated they could not accept it and I'd have to head into a store, maybe the gift card can be used for orders online but not online preorders?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,325
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    I just walked into a VZW store today and the store rep said if I upgrade to the GSIII, I would lose my unlimited data plan since its being released after June 28th and a customer service rep said the same thing. Quite surprising. But they said I can upgrade to any current device before the 28th like the RAZR Maxx and keep the unlimited data plan. Anyone else hear this?
    Well the store rep is technically right. If you go in and buy a subsidized GSIII when it's released, you will lose your unlimited data. The only way to keep unlimited is if you preorder it before the new plans go into effect.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A
    Posts
    326
    Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Having talked to an online rep just now, he said that I could only keep my unlimited data via pre-ordering online, not by phone nor store. Can anyone else confirm or refute this?

    Has anyone with unlimited data tried to pre-order by store or phone instead of the website???

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Western USA
    Posts
    31
    Device(s)
    Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    VZW original member
    Feedback Score
    0
    I preordered at the store and the mgr said I keep my plan as it is now, he said I was a lucky one to have everything unlimited.

    Sent from my DROIDX using HowardForums
    Make a bet every day, because you might walk around lucky and not know it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    927
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Having talked to an online rep just now, he said that I could only keep my unlimited data via pre-ordering online, not by phone nor store. Can anyone else confirm or refute this?

    Has anyone with unlimited data tried to pre-order by store or phone instead of the website???
    EDIT: Nevermind, my situation is just not normal at all, and I think I was just sold the phone on my sister's dumbphone line so can't say if unlimited can be kept by unlimited lines with upgrades available when preordering over the phone.

    I preordered by phone on the night of the 12th and was told I could keep unlimited data. I just checked my email again though to verify the reciept says unlimited and it says 2GB, so the guy lied to me. Time to cancel that preorder. ugh.

    Admittedly i did a transfer upgrade so it may be because it is a transfer upgrade from my sister's line. So it is possible they simply sold me the phone tied to her line and the 2GB plan is for her line, though that would be an annoying way to do a transfer upgrade, and it would be problematic too as the email doesn't state which phone number my order is tied to.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just pre-ordered the Galaxy S3 (online) as an upgrade from my Fascinate. In doing so, I had to renew my 2 year contract, but I did get to keep my current plan intact: 450 minutes, 250 texts for $5, and unlimited data.
    It would seem I still get to keep my unlimited data for at least two more years, which will now be 4G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buyout for Bell collapsed. Will Telus jump back into the picture?
    By QPhone in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 05:05 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
  3. Photo back into phone with Easy GPRS
    By hqn3 in forum Samsung
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 07:38 PM
  4. going back in time with the TX210/310
    By gentleman in forum Panasonic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 11:53 PM
  5. is Motorola back on top with the V60c ?
    By f20c in forum Motorola
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2001, 04:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks