Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon's new Share Everything Plans discussion thread

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    I'm curious to see what Blue monkey is going to do. Blue monkey is looking very closely at what red monkey just did. I'm hoping Blue monkey offers more options or keeps the price down.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    And just because there are radios in cars doesn't mean you should use them. Just because you have a sink with tap water doesn't mean you should use it. Etc etc.

They advertise the hell out of the thing like Youtube, Pandora, etc. Being used on their lightning fast 4G network. Blame them...not the consumer. If they don't want you to do that stuff they shouldn't be promoting it. Problem is, they do.

They entice and encourage the behavior then whine about it later.
    Well, marketing and engineering are out of touch with each other. We've seen this at AT&T, Verizon, and others. The idea of streaming Netflix over cellular is an absurdity that marketing people who probably don't know what a mhz is keep perpetuating. Those people should have to know what spectrum, backhaul, congestion, cell shrinkage, etc is before they're allowed to market the product.

Just because you have the ability to be connected to super-fast internet 24/7 doesn't mean it's a good thing. Try reading a book. Pandora is not going to kill anyone's bandwidth, it's only 32kbps in the first place. I've used it heavily with no detriment to my 2GB of bandwidth.

I'd much rather modify my behavior to not use absurd quantities of data than pay more money for something I really don't need. I have 2GB of data shared between my iPhone, laptop, and iPad (through MyWi), and I've only gone over that twice, one month where I didn't tether at all.

Since we're talking about your kid here, how about have her not online in the car? Give her a decent book and an iPod, and save the 500MB.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    And just because there are radios in cars doesn't mean you should use them. Just because you have a sink with tap water doesn't mean you should use it. Etc etc.

They advertise the hell out of the thing like Youtube, Pandora, etc. Being used on their lightning fast 4G network. Blame them...not the consumer. If they don't want you to do that stuff they shouldn't be promoting it. Problem is, they do.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using HowardForums
    And trying to get a teen to not go on Facebook and Youtube is like trying to get a fat person to not eat cake. (no offense to those who are overweight)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    And trying to get a teen to not go on Facebook and Youtube is like trying to get a fat person to not eat cake. (no offense to those who are overweight)
    Hey!!!! I'm fat and offensive!!!

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just placed a pre-order for two SIII's for my two eligible lines and this will be the last upgrades I will ever utilize with Verizon. Depending on how AT&T copies Verizon, I may end up switching to AT&T when my contracts are up.
    I would not be surprised if AT&T's new shared plans almost mirror Verizon's, in fact I'd be more surprised if they didn't. The U.S. cell phone market really is a duopoly and has been since AT&T & Cingular merged IMO.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    I think by saving $2000 bucks over 24 months you have a clear full price device replacement plan in order. With some fancy new smartphones selling for $330 with subsidy and fees when they are $600 full price the decision to not take the pill becomes pretty easy. Even if you assume a $600 device will cost $200 with subsidy you are breaking even and can just plan to go a bit over 2 years per device if it's still working. I went well over 2 years with my OG Droid and felt I was LOSING money the whole time I waited for the Nexus as I had the subsidy available 20 months or whatever after I got the OG Droid at launch.

These changes actually make my decisions much easier. I just keep what I have and buy whatever devices I desire at full price when I want them. It's simpler for me now as I don't feel pressure to do an upgrade as soon as have a subsidy available.
    After thinking about what you wrote, it makes a lot of sense and I have to admit that I have gotten spoiled by the talk, text & data promo that gives me a $100 a month discount on my five smartphone lines. Right now I am paying about $196 a month for 5 lines, all with unlimited data. If I didn't have the talk, text and data discount, I would be paying $290 a month (lose $100 discount, but gain a $6 corporate discount on the data feature for the primary line).

Under the new regime, with 5 lines at $40 per line (with no corporate discount), plus 10 GB for $79 ($100 less a 21% discount), I would be paying $279 a month.

So I would be paying a little bit less, but the big thing is losing the cushion of unlimited data and having to worry about overages.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Don't give them access in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    I would not be surprised if AT&T's new shared plans almost mirror Verizon's, in fact I'd be more surprised if they didn't. The U.S. cell phone market really is a duopoly and has been since AT&T & Cingular merged IMO.
    I'm not sure AT&T can command that kind of money with the shape that their network is in, and with the huge areas that have limited data availability (i.e. broken EDGE).

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Im on the phone trying to see how this affects Alltel Smart Pack plans..

I know Verizon users are screwed, but this would seriously mess the plan up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well I won't be switching to Verizon when the new iPhone comes out now. LTE on VZ would have been nice, but I am not switching from ~$40/month I pay for my shared line w/the family and unlm data to deal with not only a full individual plan cost but now a RIDICULOUS increase for that same stuff and less data. Yeah, not happening. Suck it VZ

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    WTF.

NEW NEWS.

ANY ESN OR SIM CHANGE AFTER JUNE 28th will TRIGGER A CHANGE OF PLANS, INCLUDING ALLTEL SMARTPACK PLANS.

EVEN IF YOU BUY A DEVICE FULL RETAIL, AND YOU ACTIVATE A DIFFERENT PHONE ON YOUR ACCOUNT AFTER JUNE 28TH YOUR PLAN WILL BE SWITCHED.

bye bye Verizon... it has been fun..

Page Plus the 55 Plan here I come.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    WTF.

NEW NEWS.

ANY ESN OR SIM CHANGE AFTER JUNE 28th will TRIGGER A CHANGE OF PLANS, INCLUDING ALLTEL SMARTPACK PLANS.

EVEN IF YOU BUY A DEVICE FULL RETAIL, AND YOU ACTIVATE A DIFFERENT PHONE ON YOUR ACCOUNT AFTER JUNE 28TH YOUR PLAN WILL BE SWITCHED.

bye bye Verizon... it has been fun..

Page Plus the 55 Plan here I come.
    Proof?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    That would suck. But I'd still end up saving a little bit.
    Only if your data usage never increases.

Quote Originally Posted by regor3 View Post
    If you look at the plan it says "Nationwide Family Share Plan" Everyone knows an individual in not a family on a share plan...right?

Take a breath and try to read what the plan is and how it works.
    These are SHARE EVERYTHING plans, not Family Share. It appears that individual plans are dead as of June 28th, except for those grandfathered in.

Exactly! I've been saying that since about this time last year when Vzw was going to tiered data plans. I don't see them ever pricing it per GB though because they want to lock customers into buckets so they have guaranteed revenue every month.

Also $30 for 1 GB of data is ridiculously high. A lot people were predicting Vzw would offer 3-5GB's of shared data for $50-$60 per month, I guess none of us predicted how greedy they could really be.
    I was called cynical for repeatedly pointing out that there would be no savings on these new plans except to a very small number of users. This is as bad as I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    I don't think it's VZW's goal to save their customers money, they'd rather you spend it with them, which is exactly what those plans are designed for, thus mission accomplished
    Verizon said from the beginning their goal was to increase revenue and never said they'd save their customers any money. There were just customers who bought into the idea that Verizon was going to do them a favor.....

Quote Originally Posted by TWC42 View Post
    My analysis of the new plans from my perspective.
    We are an older couple who both have smartphones but use them sparingly. Our total data usage for this past billing period was around 500MB, and that was one of the higher months. We are on the unlimited plan with a $20 discount off each plan. One would think we were crazy to give that up. One phone is eligible for a subsidized upgrade on 7/14, well after the new plans go into effect (6/28).
    Currently we pay $100 for the 1400 minute Talk&Text plan (u/l texting). Can't use less minutes, don't need more.
    Each line is $20 ($10 line, $30 data, $20 discount), and we pay about $20 in taxes and fees for a total around $160.
    If we switch to the new plan with u/l minutes and texting and choose 1 GB data, the total with taxes will be around $150.
    So based on our actual usage, we could save $10 per month, or break even if we chose 2GB, more than adequate.
    But there's another factor to consider, and that is if we want to hold on to our u/l data plan, we must give up getting a subsidized phone. The Razr Maxx, for example is $199 subsidized and $650 retail. That's a $450 subsidy we are giving up, or effectively, a $22 per month discount that we won't get if we stick with our unlimited data plan just because we want to keep unlimited which we absolutely don't need.
    Maybe the new plans aren't so bad after all. At least for those who use very little data.
    These plans are terrible. You are forgetting the biggest part of the equation, data usage is skyrocketing. Your usage is almost guaranteed to increase as more offerings are made available to entice you to use more data. Very few people are not going to see an increase in their data usage and Verizon is banking on that fact. That's why they're hitching their price structure to the only growth in the wireless business, data usage.

It's like that drug dealer offering you a few free lines of coke.... Or the beer commercials on tv telling you how cool you are and how much better the party is if you just suck down some of their swill.....

I imagine Verizon and ATTM have been on the phone plotting out the new rates, but they'll be clever enough to have used prepaid lines in order to hide the collaboration.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Proof?

Just talked to verizon, had a manager confirm these policies.

Feedback Score
    I know it would never happen but we all need to come together and flood the phone lines and mass email VZW and try to get them to rethink. To me looks like corporate has lots there marbles.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    Verizon said from the beginning their goal was to increase revenue and never said they'd save their customers any money. There were just customers who bought into the idea that Verizon was going to do them a favor.....
    The only customers who will possibly save money are those who barely use data. Those customers who never go over 2 GB will break even. Those who use more than 2 GB will end up paying more. Basically, Verizon is telling customers that they really don't want you around if you use a lot of data.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    Just talked to verizon, had a manager confirm these policies.
    And this is contrary to the Verizon documentation that is appearing on various tech blog sites like Droid Life.

Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast