View Poll Results: Which Phone to get...

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Motorola Razr Maxx

27 61.36%
  • Samsung Galaxy III

17 38.64%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Morotorla Razr Maxx or Samsung Galaxy III

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    I do remember reading about your son's phone. Do they both have an account synced? That solved my problem.
    Yeah, my son's Bionic had the same problem regularly since he got the phone, although according to him it seemed to have improved (maybe it was because of the recent Bionic updates?). However, at the end of April, we had spent a weekend in Boston and while we were at Faneuil Hall, he mentioned that the data connection was gone and had been for a while. Looking at his phone, it showed full bars, but no 3G, 1x or 4GLTE icon. Restarting the phone did bring back the data connection. Nevertheless, when he does lose the data connection, it does come back quite a bit quicker than compared to the Maxx.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    That app is for correcting connectivity issues that stem from mainly from using battery saving apps or other user-downloaded apps that cause conflicts and change the data connectivity settings on the phone. This app isn't some magical fix for a dropped connection. All it does is correct the settings on the phone when something else has altered them. And you know what's funny? Samsung has one of those apps too - Restore Connectivity Settings. So I guess by your standards, that means all Samsung LTE devices are lemons too then?

The problem Jseah detailed are not well-documented issues on the MAXX, RAZR, or Droid 4. Some Bionic users experienced similar problems early on, but those were addressed via an update. If you want to talk about well-documented data drops, look at the Galaxy Nexus, the Droid Charge, and the Stratosphere, Samsung's CDMA/LTE smartphones on Verizon, all of which are well-known to drop not only data, but voice as well quite often. The Fascinate was plagued with this problem as well. And it's a problem that impacts a large number of users. Unless Samsung has made some major improvements, the possibility of poor radios on the GSIII is something to definitely keep in mind when assessing it.

I had the Rezound for two months. It's a solid device, and it definitely has good radio performance. But it dropped a connection when switching between 3G and 4G in a weak signal area just as much as any other non-Samsung Verizon LTE device that I've had, and I've had each of them. The radios on the MAXX have performed better than any other Verizon LTE device in my usage, and that includes traveling all over the country regularly to varying coverage areas.
    I had the Thunderbolt, and am now using a Rezound (used my last upgrade to get the Rezound for my wife, who then used my daughter's upgrade to get the Maxx and I got the hand me down). Both of the phones also experience data drops when switching from 3G to 4G or vice versa. In fact, some times the phone will go through the whole gamut...no data, 1x, 3G, and 4G. However, the no data typically lasts less than a minute.

My wife is the type, although she does have an electrical engineering degree, is absolutely illiterate when it comes to technology. She has absolutely no desire to learn about phone settings. Case in point, she was annoyed how the phone would scream "Droid!" whenever she got an email, so she hands me the phone and tells me to turn it off. Or when she sees the kids using an app that interests her, she hands them the phone and asks them to install it for her. She is the ideal candidate for an iPhone. When the LTE version comes out, I'll have to bite the bullet and get her one at full retail.

Her current workaround to not losing her data connection when at home is to connect to our home WiFi, which is what my son does as well. I guess this will be good training for when Verizon takes away grandfathered unlimited and forces people to go onto shared tiered data. I can see myself buying one or two phones as full retail to keep unlimited, but not for all 5 lines.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't understand how anyone can vote in this poll before the S3 is launched/reviewed. The international version reviews give us an idea of how it will perform, but there's really not too much to compare to the Maxx (other than aesthetics, which is subjective, and specs) until the phone is in people's hands.

In my opinion, the Razr Maxx seems to be a great phone (based on what I've read and how much I enjoyed my Droid X), but I would wait to see what the GS3 has to offer before making any decisions. And who knows, maybe by then we'll know more about the Razr HD.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmonkey15 View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can vote in this poll before the S3 is launched/reviewed. The international version reviews give us an idea of how it will perform, but there's really not too much to compare to the Maxx (other than aesthetics, which is subjective, and specs) until the phone is in people's hands.

In my opinion, the Razr Maxx seems to be a great phone (based on what I've read and how much I enjoyed my Droid X), but I would wait to see what the GS3 has to offer before making any decisions. And who knows, maybe by then we'll know more about the Razr HD.
    That's a fair point. We really can't completely know until the Verizon version of the SIII is available. That said, a person trying to decide between getting a MAXX now or waiting for the SIII (the OP falls into that category and started the thread to address that situation) can get a good idea of what the SIII will be like on Verizon based off the international version and Samsung's recent Android phones on Verizon.

But, like you said, no one can authoritatively compare the two at this point.
    Current lineup: Galaxy Note 2, MotoActv

Previous smartphones: Galaxy S3, One X, Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Galaxy Note, iPhone 4S, Droid Bionic, Stratosphere, Droid Charge, Vitality, Droid Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Droid Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: Transformer Pad TF300, Evo View 4G, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I can probably give an answer to this in a month since I plan on stopping by Best Buy on the way home from work to pre-order two SIII's. The one downside is it looks like the phone pre-orders won't be shipping until July 9th. Hopefully, Verizon isn't going to schedule making shared data plans available beginning July 8th.

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hello Everyone,
    Thank you for all your comments... I currently have the Fascinate.. It has held up very nicely for me at least... I just read an article on phone scoop that the SIII will be upgraded to accept 3rd pary GSM chips for going out of the country.. I will have to wait a little to read more reviews about the verizon version.. I hope the come out with it soon...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    It is normal, and very well documented. Bionic/Razr/Maxx/Droid 4 all share the same data drops.

It's so normal, in fact, that Motorola has an app to restore data connectivity. The phone is a lemon. Get the SGS3, or the Rezound... the Rezound having second-to-none RF performance.

Jseah - have your wife get that app I linked to.
    Thank you, someone who isn't pushing the Moto just because

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It is normal, and very well documented. Bionic/Razr/Maxx/Droid 4 all share the same data drops.

It's so normal, in fact, that Motorola has an app to restore data connectivity. The phone is a lemon. Get the SGS3, or the Rezound... the Rezound having second-to-none RF performance.

Jseah - have your wife get that app I linked to.
    @buffalo, it looks like you're full of it on this one. From your profile, you don't use an LTE phone, you got the name of the app wrong, you don't know it's purpose or if it's fitting for jseah, yet you told him to download it, you are unaware that samsung and lg made similar apps for the same purpose as described by bsweetness (battery saver/task killer apps screwing up the phone) and you ignore others' posts on similar problems with other phones.

Btw, I have no problems with people's positive opinions of the Rezound or the sgs3.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I've been really happy with the maxx. No complaints with the phone. Wish my cell bill was cheaper but can't win em all.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There are many things about an S 3 I'm not sure of and flat out don't like. First, its not out yet, so you can't buy it yet. It could be available easily or become constrained like the Incredible was. Second, a 4.8" screen is outright ridiculous to use as a mobile device for your pocket. Manufacturers will keep building bigger as long as it sells. 4.3" is the cut off. I've seen the 5" phablet Samsung Note and it may be right for some to use, but not the vast majority. Third, it has the WOAT software skin touchwiz. Its cheap looking and boring as hell. The Maxx has its pros and cons as well but there is a Razr HD is coming out very soon and it could be a closer match or even beat the S 3, so that would be a better comparison.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums
    The Wireless Hero

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @buffalo, it looks like you're full of it on this one. From your profile, you don't use an LTE phone, you got the name of the app wrong, you don't know it's purpose or if it's fitting for jseah, yet you told him to download it, you are unaware that samsung and lg made similar apps for the same purpose as described by bsweetness (battery saver/task killer apps screwing up the phone) and you ignore others' posts on similar problems with other phones.

Btw, I have no problems with people's positive opinions of the Rezound or the sgs3.
    What are you talking about? It says right in my profile "Samsung Galaxy Nexus"... a year ago it said "HTC Thunderbolt"... and after that it said "Motorola Droid Razr"... It also says that I use a BlackBerry Bold II on T-Mobile... and I didn't get the name of the app wrong - I never so much as said the name, I provided a direct link to it on the play store - nor did I link to it for the wrong purpose. The app is a recommendation from the XDA to resolve the known issues with the recent Moto radios dropping data connectivity randomly. Go to Google yourself, start typing "Motorola Droid Razr Data" and the first suggested hit, being the most popular search entry, will finish your search with "...Connection Problems". Or, conversely, read the review comments on why people downloaded the app.

The Rezound has, bar none, the best radio on Verizon currently.

But yeah... I don't use LTE, nor am I aware of the well-known problem with Moto's recent radios, nor does my 62 year old mother own my old Razr as a constant source of frustration for me, nor does my 65 year old father own my own Thunderbolt as yet another source of frustration, nor does my brother own the Bionic who is yet another source of frustration for me as I recommended it. Razr and Bionic issues are resolved thru the use of that app. Don't believe me? Fine. Ignorance about the issue, I'm sure, is bliss.
    Last edited by BuffaloTF; 06-06-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DJDevine View Post
    There are many things about an S 3 I'm not sure of and flat out don't like. First, its not out yet, so you can't buy it yet. It could be available easily or become constrained like the Incredible was. Second, a 4.8" screen is outright ridiculous to use as a mobile device for your pocket. Manufacturers will keep building bigger as long as it sells. 4.3" is the cut off. I've seen the 5" phablet Samsung Note and it may be right for some to use, but not the vast majority. Third, it has the WOAT software skin touchwiz. Its cheap looking and boring as hell. The Maxx has its pros and cons as well but there is a Razr HD is coming out very soon and it could be a closer match or even beat the S 3, so that would be a better comparison.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums
    DJ, I'm not sure who made you the expert on what size phone is ridiculous. There are a lot of people who wish the larger screen size for a variety of reasons. In my case, old eyes and being able to use the phone to troubleshoot remotely using video and/or pics is greatly enhanced by a larger screen. I also don't wear skinny jeans and am taller than 5'6" so this phone will fit my pocket. In any case, you at least had the good sense to realize that as long as the larger phones sell, the manufacturers will build them. I just don't trust Samsung products, so I'm skeptical about the quality of this phone until it's been around a while. Razr HD reminds me of the iPhone 5/LTE.... so far it's just a lot of noise with no release date or live sightings.... So that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement to wait, esp if you need a phone now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What are you talking about? It says right in my profile "Samsung Galaxy Nexus"... a year ago it said "HTC Thunderbolt"... and after that it said "Motorola Droid Razr"... It also says that I use a BlackBerry Bold II on T-Mobile...
    On the Howard's app, Blackberry is listed at the top, Verizon #1, Tmo $2, and Nexus at the bottom.

and I didn't get the name of the app wrong - I never so much as said the name, I provided a direct link to it on the play store - nor did I link to it for the wrong purpose.
    Look at your sentence and your link. I'm assuming you wrote it. The purpose of the app us to restore "settings", as in turn LTE on, same as the Samsung and LG apps, when settings may have been changed by Easy Battery Saver + Task Killer app. By the way, the app says it is not compatible with the Bionic.

The app is a recommendation from the XDA
    Could you post the link? The only ones I find, below, ask about it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1677481

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1517742

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...kjn3U1g26KkFaw

But yeah... I don't use LTE, nor am I aware of the well-known problem with Moto's recent radios, nor does my 62 year old mother own my old Razr as a constant source of frustration for me, nor does my 65 year old father own my own Thunderbolt as yet another source of frustration, nor does my brother own the Bionic who is yet another source of frustration for me as I recommended it. Razr and Bionic issues are resolved thru the use of that app. Don't believe me? Fine. Ignorance about the issue, I'm sure, is bliss.
    I'm sure you know Thunderbolt is not Motorola. You may wish to uninstall the bad task killer app but glad that works for them. Since I only pass through LTE areas, mine is usually off to save battery.
    LTE connectivity issues have been a problem for Verizon on many devices ever since it was launched. No one has argued about the Rezound.
    Last edited by Steveanderson13; 06-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    On the Howard's app, Blackberry is listed at the top, Verizon #1, Tmo $2, and Nexus at the bottom.

Look at your sentence and your link. I'm assuming you wrote it. The purpose of the app us to restore "settings", as in turn LTE on, same as the Samsung and LG apps, when settings may have been changed by Easy Battery Saver + Task Killer app. By the way, the app says it is not compatible with the Bionic.

Could you post the link? The only ones I find, below, ask about it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1677481

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1517742

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...kjn3U1g26KkFaw

I'm sure you know Thunderbolt is not Motorola. You may wish to uninstall the bad task killer app but glad that works for them. Since I only pass through LTE areas, mine is usually off to save battery.
    LTE connectivity issues have been a problem for Verizon on many devices ever since it was launched. No one has argued about the Rezound.
    T-Mobile is my work phone, used only for work. And it's listed second. T-Mobile doesn't even show up at all, except in my modify profile settings. I've had Verizon since 1995, though it was called Frontier then... then it was Bell Atlantic... then Verizon Wireless. And who ever said the Thunderbolt experienced these problems? It's a response to me "not even using an LTE device"... which I have, since the exact day the first LTE phone was available.

Nobody uses a task killer. And my sentence did not name the app, there was no proper noun - it was a simple sentence where I changed the hyperlink to words.

How about this one? Notice how I'm writing a sentence that has nothing to do with the title of the thread this links to.

How about some other forums:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ion-issue.html

http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...onnection.html

Verizon's official forums

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/770732

Motorola forums discussing the issue

Here's the Motorola official post on their own forums with the Forum Manager making the initial post, saying that it's "only" for battery saver/task killer related issues. He's quickly corrected that it works for the ever-present data connectivity issues on the Razr by people that don't use either, and he thanks them for the info.

I mean, come on... there's pages upon pages upon pages of these things. I could spend all day copying them in here.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile doesn't even show up at all, except in my modify profile settings.
    It shows up; otherwise I would not have known.

And who ever said the Thunderbolt experienced these problems?
    YOU included it in the same paragraph with the same description of "frustrating".

Talented. Glance through that and see the other phones mentioned with problems.

Great; now you have more work to do looking up and posting all similar threads for all devices for all carriers then counting them.

Here's the Motorola official post on their own forums with the Forum Manager making the initial post, saying that it's "only" for battery saver/task killer related issues. He's quickly corrected that it works for the ever-present data connectivity issues on the Razr by people that don't use either, and he thanks them for the info.
    Would you copy and paste the "he's quickly corrected, etc." part? I don't read that.

I mean, come on... there's pages upon pages upon pages of these things. I could spend all day copying them in here.
    You have the time; get the ones for the other devices while you're at it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast