Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how will PP respond to new Verizon offering on ST/NET10

Device(s)
    S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score
    It is good to know there are options, but it is not BYOD, and is there going to be sales tax? Tax on cell plans is not your typical 5-7%, sometimes as high as 15% or so depending. And then there is the whole "unlimited" think which isnt really...but we are all drawn to it due to marketing.
    Galaxy S5 VZ prepaid

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure this has also been mentioned on the other forums, but it appears that Tracphone/straight talk / Carlos slim also bought Simple Mobile last week. I think they were the biggest T-Mobile MVNO. They are now in a solid position to negotiate the best deals with all the big four. I wouldn't be surprised to see better deals for a while and some competitors falling out of the market also. The problem may show up when they end up controlling too much of the market though and start negotiating most favorable nation (MFN) clauses limiting other's ability to compete.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    Market pressure dictates response, not Verizon. If ST is able to offer unlimited data at $45 then PP needs to rethink their business model if they can't answer the bell.
    Page Plus is at the mercy of Verizon and Verizon is not going to open the flood gates just for PP. I would love to see them bump it up just one more gig.

Verizon itself does not seem worried about it when they just rolled out their own plan for 80 a month with 1GB of data.

It's anyone's guess right now, we will not know if it's apples to apples until the reports come in about data usage.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by file014 View Post
    It is good to know there are options, but it is not BYOD, and is there going to be sales tax? Tax on cell plans is not your typical 5-7%, sometimes as high as 15% or so depending. And then there is the whole "unlimited" think which isnt really...but we are all drawn to it due to marketing.
    If BYOD is required for you then ST/ATT is the best option since it includes a supported iPhone that does not require special programming to get it to work. But like I said, they've just added the Verizon offering so I expect BYOD for that network will follow at some point.

As for sales tax, the forum right next to this one has discussions on that and I think it amounts to an additional $3-4 if your state requires it. Folks purchasing on the web get around it by entering addresses from states (like mine) that don't have sales tax.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just purchased the Proclaim for my sister two days ago when I first saw it at Wal-Mart. I think it is a great device and now with the ability to use Verizon network rather than Sprint, ST is going to get more customers that are looking for a very good smartphone on Verizon at prepaid prices. I used it for a bit and was very happy with the purchase. The thing now I think that will make PPC still a notch above ST is BYOD. Until ST offers high-end, well higher-end, smartphones that use Verizon's network, PPC will still be a better buy unless you are a data hog.

Feedback Score
    No way is ST going to bring byod to their VZW/CDMA offering(s). Their CSRs couldn't even begin to handle any of the concepts about programming/activating/ESN changing etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moto227 View Post
    I just purchased the Proclaim for my sister two days ago when I first saw it at Wal-Mart. I think it is a great device and now with the ability to use Verizon network rather than Sprint, ST is going to get more customers that are looking for a very good smartphone on Verizon at prepaid prices. I used it for a bit and was very happy with the purchase. The thing now I think that will make PPC still a notch above ST is BYOD. Until ST offers high-end, well higher-end, smartphones that use Verizon's network, PPC will still be a better buy unless you are a data hog.
    I just changed from st to page plus because the phones on Verizon towers for st suck if you want anything more than talk and text. Do some research and also go to st's Facebook page and ask questions. None of the droids are on Verizon towers. I had st for 1 1/2 years with no problems but also no real improvements in phones. I bought the 511c touch screen 3g on Verizon towers. It was so limited it wasn't worth the money. No streaming video or audio very limited pictures on Facebook.

I now have a droid x on page plus and still saving a lot over contract Verizon and happy with the phone.

If st actually does the BYOD I too would be interested but I don't expect to see it happen.

Just my 2 cents

Feedback Score

Update

After my reply above I did some more current research myself and found that st actually is releasing a droid on Verizon towers. The review below said it will only have 3g at your local zip. That doesn't seem right but I don't know ?

http://wontek.com/prepaid-reviews/St.../Samsung-S720C

It's on their website for $179. I will be interested to see reviews of the phone and its service. Wether or not they limit it's capabilities will be a big win or lose ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's not a "Droid", it's a rebadged Samsung Illusion. They call it the Proclaim. It is an entry-level Android handset, a bit pricey at $179 IMHO. The benefit is that it runs on Verizon. There are several reviews all over the 'net. The mention on data refers to no roaming - coverage on native Verizon network only. Pretty standard for a prepaid offering.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think that the issue is what Page Plus will do to counter this, I imagine that PP was aware this was coming via ST. PP has close relations with the Verizon Prepaid division, Verizon isn't stupid, they work closely with Page Plus, and Straight Talk as well.

My guess is that fairly recently Verizon decided to get serious about Prepaid service, and data offerings in particular. Not that long ago they offered the unlimited feature phone package, at a cost far lower than most would expect from Verizon, they have marketed themselves as a premium brand, and don't mind being viewed as expensive.

Not long after the unlimited feature phone plan was announced, PP began offering a "limited time" upgrade of 1GB of data where it had previously been 500MB (and was a fairly new plan at that). About the same time PP announced the 1GB allotment of data would be permanent Verizon announced that they would be offering a "low cost" prepaid Android plan with unlimited text, talk and 1GB of data for $80.

My guess is that Verizon watched the impact of the unlimited feature phone plan on the network, and when they were happy with the results, went to Page Plus to find out what the impact of smartphones with decent data allotments would present on their network. It looks like they like what they see a lot.

I am not surprised that Verizon would have went with Straight Talk to introduce an "unlimited" smartphone plan instead of PP, Straight Talk has a massive infrastructure, and the ability to handle the initial flood of customers and issues. I am sure that at first there will be an awful lot of people with no idea how to use a smartphone calling in to figure out how to get a Gmail account, and stuff like that. Page Plus just doesn't have the infrastructure to deal with that initial tidal wave. I also imagine that Verizon will monitor the situation closely, and will likely use information learned as it rolls out on Straight Talk to assist the smaller MVNO's when the time comes.

Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    PP is supposedly coming out with some new plans in the next few weeks that are going to have better data options. Take this with a grain of salt but well see.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 10+, Saumsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully PP will be a bit more conservative and cautious about responding to the new Straight Talk offering. PP rolled out UTnT (almost 3 years ago now!) as an "oh crap, we gotta do something NOW!" knee-jerk reaction to ST's unlimited talk & text plan. And we suffered the consequences of that move. Fortunately, PP survived that... CS has recovered, and when was the last time you heard of anyone getting kicked off for calling/texting "too much" with UTnT or The 55?

Feedback Score
    ST has the power of Walmart behind them, PPC has got nothing. It seems the main purpose of a dealer with a physical location is to educate customers each and every time they come in the door. I checked the ST website and tried to do a little research, ST has GSM phones, phones that run on Sprint and now one that runs on Verizon..... An unsuspecting person could pick up something that runs on Sprint by accident only to discover they have no service where they need it. I think there's different limitations on data depending on which network the phone runs on, but that information is hard to find and there are conflicting stories. It seems Verizon dropped unlimited data on prepaid plans in favor of an $80 smartphone plan with 1GB of data.

Pageplus lets you put a $12 plan or standard pin on a smartphone. You can also add a cash pin to a monthly plan to cover things like roaming and overages. ST requires you to use a $45 or $60 pin on their smartphone and so far there's only one model that runs on Verizon which costs $179 while you can get a Droid 1 for under $100 to use on Pageplus.

While Pageplus has some awesome plans, small time dealers just aren't trusted and can't sell phones. IMHO Pageplus would grow faster with a different structure, but it is what it is.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I remember when PP started Unlimited Talk n Text. Hold times for CS went from a few minutes to 10s of minutes, and the CS number was so overwhelmed, many times you could not even get through. CS has greatly improved since then however. Whatever they do, they are going to have to start offering more and MUCH less expensive data.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I think PP needs to undercut the ST $45 plan by revamping the TnT 1200 & 55 plans. Move the 1 GB of included data to the $30 TnT plan. ST doesn't allow Android phones on its $30 plans & most people don't need unlimited minutes & text. This would be a major selling point for PP. Then bump the 55 plan to 2 GB for those who are heavy users.

Sent from my DROIDX using HowardForums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast