Thread: HOW TO: Flash the Nexus S 4G to MetroPCS

Device(s)
    Nexus S 4G
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

HOW TO: Flash the Nexus S 4G to MetroPCS

This is my first write up of a really detailed tutorial on HowardForums. I spent as much as a hour writing this whole thing out, seriously! o: Leave me with your feedback and how things work out for you.

==How to Flash the Nexus S 4G to MetroPCS==

This is just a very detailed write up on how to get the Nexus S 4G flashed to MetroPCS. I get really in-depth with this tutorial. I don't know how much easier I can make it. This tutorial is based of pieces and bits of the HTC EVO 4G flashing tutorial.

At the moment, this will only get you: Talk, Text, and Web, but no MMS for ICS users. It doesn't seem to work, and I'm actually looking for a solution as we speak. I think it works for Gingerbread, anyone want to confirm this for me?

Things you'll need:
    - CDMA Workshop 2.7 OR 3.5 (Google it.)
    - QPST build 323 (Google it.)
    - Experience with QPST and CDMA Workshop...
    - These Samsung drivers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mthba0oaiz...ung_driver.zip
    - This PRL (Enables 3G data, if available): https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8sbim0hqb3kxs8/3028.prl
    - A Nexus S 4G running on STOCK Android 2.3.x or Android 4.0.x
    - Some MiniUSB cables

Disclaimer: Follow these instructions CAREFULLY. Mess up, and things can go bad, and I'm not responsible for whatever happens. Okay, lets begin.

==1. TALK/TEXT==

1. This is the most crucial part. Your ESN needs to be added into the MetroPCS database. No ESN = No phone. (Or to get smart about it, no talk, or text.)

2. We're going to need to use CDMA Workshop for this part of the tutorial. You need to either download it from somewhere on the interwebs, or be a cool guy and actually buy it, up to you.

Before we can start, you will need to download the Samsung drivers (https://www.dropbox.com/s/mthba0oaiz...ung_driver.zip), unzip it, and install the .msi file inside. Thats it for the drivers part.

3. Now that you've gotten the drivers, make your way to your Nexus S 4G, and open up the dialer. Dial *#*#8778#*#*, and you should be pulled into a menu called PhoneUtil. (If you didn't get into PhoneUtil after dialing the code, you need to be on STOCK Android 2.3.x, or 4.0.x!) Next, tap the modem bullets on both UART and USB.

4. Connect your Nexus S 4G to your PC. You should be getting a message about a new device being installed. Once that finished, go to the Start Menu, and right click on "Computer" and choose "Properties". On the left side, click on Device Manager. Once you're in, expand "Ports (COM & LPT) and look for "SAMSUNG Mobile Modem Diagnotic Serial Port (WDM) (COMx)"

The x in (COMx) is the number of the port you'll be using in QPST and CDMA Workshop. It'll be 1,2,3,4,5 and so forth, whatever.

5. Open up CDMA Workshop. Under the Main tab, find COM Settings, and change the Port to whatever the SAMSUNG Mobile Model Diag Port told us earlier. I got COM6, so I would open up the drop down menu and choose COM6. Don't touch the baud rate. Go down and click "Connect", and then click "Read".

**If the phone does not answer, wake up your Nexus S 4G.**

You should then see a bunch of number and stuff on the left under Phone Information, awesome! Next, make your way to the Security tab. We need to unlock the phone before we can do anything. Under SPC, in the blank field, enter in "000000" (without quotations), then click on SPC and then click send. You should get the message saying "SPC is correct. Phone unlocked", opossum-grade awesome!

6. Go to the NAM tab, and click Read at the bottom. You should see a bunch of numbers and other things, but what we want to look at is "MIN" and "Dir_Number". You need to change these numbers accordingly. Dir_Number is your actual phone number, and MIN is your Mobile Identification Number. Your MIN can be found from one of your older phones. Once you put those in, click on Write at the bottom.

7. Next, make your way to the "Other" tab. Find PRL, and make sure the boxes read "Universal, and NAM1". Click the Write button, and find the PRL file that you downloaded earlier. (3028.prl) Once you find it, double click it, and wait for it to finish.

8. Almost done with CDMA Workshop! Also, be VERY careful with this part because a simple mistake CAN brick your phone. Finally, head over to this website here: http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/

We need to get our NV items, as well as our MetroPCS MSL. In the field where it says "Enter your login string", type in [email protected]. (So if your phone number were 555-555-5555, you'd put in [email protected]) Before clicking generate, make sure you have the correct version of CDMA Workshop on the bubbles selected! Okay, so you should have gotten a .txt file after clicking generate. Save it to somewhere you can find it.

Go back to CDMA Workshop, and go into the "Memory" tab. Find "NV Items" and click Write. You'll get a warning message, click OK. Find the .txt file you got from whiterabbit, and open it in CDMA Workshop. *Make sure that this process does NOT get interrupted!* Once that's done, not only have you just taken the first steps into getting WEB working, but you've gotten Talk and Text working on your Nexus! Give yourself a pat on the back.

Also, you will need to get your MetroPCS MSL Code. To get this, on the whiterabbit page, near the field that says "Enter 1 MEID/ESN per line in the text area to your left, then click the calculate button.", enter your ESN/MEID in the field, and click generate. Under MetroPCS MSL, write that down, we'll need it later.

Close CDMA Workshop, and reboot your phone.

==2. DATA/WEB==

Time to work with QPST! This stuff is going to really require your attention to "spot the differences". I say that because I'm going to use pictures. on this part to make life simple.

1. Open up QPST Configuration, and while you're doing that connect your Nexus S 4G to your PC, again.

2. Remember that port we used for CDMA Workshop? It might be the same as last time. Mainly, look for the Phone "FFA-6550-ZRF6500". Do you see it? If not, go to Add New Port. Uncheck "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnotic ports only". Select the ports that showed up and click OK. Wait and see if it finds your phone now. It should.

(If the ports are enabled, but you still don't see your phone, on your Nexus S 4G, go to the dialer, and enter in *#*#8778#*#* and make sure those fields are still on MODEM.

3. With your phone highlighted, go to "Start Clients" at the top, and choose Service Programming.

4. On the new window that showed up, click on your Nexus, and click OK.

5. Another window should come up. Click "Read from Phone" at the bottom, and with the window asking for your SPC, just press OK. Let it read, and make sure that some stuff popped up on Settings. If it did, awesome.

6. Click the right arrow at the top of the window to move the tabs over until you find M.IP, open it. Remember the matching I was talking about earlier? Well, match up the values down here in QPST.

7. When you've matched up those values, under User Profile, you want to click on Profile #0 and click the Edit button. Match up what you see here.

Those red boxes are where your phone number would be. So if your phone number was again, 555-555-5555, you'd need to put in [email protected] in those NAI and Tethered NAI fields.

Once you're done with the matching, click OK, and then, we're going to be doing the same under Profile #1, so click it, and go click Edit, again. You're going to do the EXACT same thing. Match up Profile #1's values with what you did in Profile #0. (Hint: Look at the picture above, and just match it inside of Profile #1)

8. After that, time for more matching! Go to the "PPP Config" tab on the top. We're going to first start off in the "Rm" tab. Copy everything exactly as you see here.

Okay, now we go to the "Um" tab. The only difference here is that you will need to check the "Req PW enc" option, and enter the MetroPCS MSL code that we got earlier.

Make sure you copy those settings, and get that MSL in there. Also, the red blocked off area in the picture above should be your phone number.

Finally, we're going to the "AN" tab. Copy the settings, and make sure you get the MSL code we got earlier in there as well.

Again, the red blocked off area in the picture above is where your phone number would be, and you need to get the MSL code in there.

9. At last, you can finally hit the "Write to phone" button in QPST. Your phone should now be rebooting.

==3. Configuring Web/MMS==

Really simple steps here.

1. When your phone comes back on, go back into the dialer, and dial *#*#8778#*#*, and put your phone back into PDA mode on both UART, and USB.

**If you ever need to use CDMA Workshop or QPST again, you just go back into here, and re-enable MODEM. You need to go back into PDA mode in order to utilize your Nexus's NAND storage.**

2. Connect to a Wi-Fi network, and go into the Google Play Store.

3. Search for the application called "AnyCut", download and install it.

4. Open up AnyCut, and tap on New Shortcut.

5. Tap on Activity.

6. Wait for the list to load, and look for "APNs", tap it, just press Ok, on the following pop-up.

7. Go back into New Shortcut > Activity > and also scroll down to Proxy Settings, and make a Proxy Settings shortcut.

8. Go back to your homescreen and tap on the newly created APNs shortcut.

9. Open up the Sprint APN and match up the settings to the following.

Name: metropcs
    APN: internet
    Proxy: proxy.metropcs.net:3128
    Port: 3128
    Username: [email protected]
    Password: Your MetroPCS MSL Code
    Server: wap.metropcs.net
    MMSC: http://mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc
    MMS port: 3128
    MCC: Don't touch.
    MNC: Don't touch.
    Authentication type: None
    APN type: mms
    ===ICS users may have the settings below==
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    APN enable/disable: Its greyed out. If its not, check it.
    Bearer: Unspecified

You're done, press MENU, and SAVE.

10. Go back to your homescreen, and open the Proxy Settings shortcut.

11. Fill these in.

Proxy hostname: wap.metropcs.net
    Proxy port: 3128
    ===ICS users may have the settings below==
    Bypass proxy for: Do not touch.

When you filled those in, tap Done.

12. Reboot, You. Are. Done! Enjoy your MetroPCS flashed Nexus S 4G.

===
    If there's any problems, you can PM me, or attempt to post it here. I don't browse the forums that often but, its worth a try.

Also, I mentioned earlier, Android 4.0 users may not have working MMS. It doesn't work for me, but I'm toying around with the Android system to get it working. Android 2.3 users should have working MMS.
    Nexus S 4G
    Flashed to MetroPCS
    Talk, Text, Web, Working on MMS.
    3G Data (PRL 3028, Port Saint Lucie 34983)
    ROM: Stock Android 4.0.4

Feedback Score
    So has there been any progress on the MMS?

Feedback Score
    hey man im having an issue with the signal....I did everything u said on the tut...please help