Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S III Pre-Release Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmonkey15 View Post
    Sorry to change the subject, but I'm curious as to what size the extended battery will be like for this phone (obviously, I'm making the assumption one will be released). The stock battery is already giant, capacity-wise, but because the phone is so thin to begin with, an extended battery wouldn't necessarily make it annoyingly thick (and hopefully not too ugly). I hope Samsung/Verizon give us battery options. Unless of course the phone is so well-optimized that it doesn't need the extra juice...most likely wishful thinking for an LTE device.
    Hard to say. The back cover design has changed a good bit to where it's a now seems to be a middle ground between the S and SII. The S was annoying because it was the wrap around variety that seemed to be easier to break. The SII didn't wrap around at the sides at all and kinda hand stuff that tucked under and ended up flush with the back. This one seems to attach more like the SII, but wrap around more like the original S. I bring all this up because the wrap around nature of this and the S allow more thickness to be added without making the extended cover look hump-back like. The sort flush to the back nature of the SII meant it kinda just removed the lower speaker humped thickness to be made more flush with the back of the device and any thickness beyond that needed to be humpbackish.

Basically this new design will allow for more stock looking back covers that add more thickness while still looking stock than SII so could technically mean a pretty large OEM extended battery. Also should mean that aftermarket generic el-cheapo extended batteries could be huge capacity and not look so bad as this thin(larger area) 2100mah can probably double or triple in thickness and capacity and still not be to thick. Would not be surprised to see seidio and those sorts offer a 4000-5000mah cell.

In the end this is all speculation though as the Galaxy Note doesn't even have an OEM extended battery as far as I know since it's 2500mah stock. 2100mah stock could mean they don't bother with and extended and leave that to the aftermarket.

Feedback Score
    Think I mentioned this would probably be the case earlier based on the FCC testing US GSM bands, but it has now been confirmed.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/05...-via-software/

Now for the finger crossing that a 4 network open device version only available as Samsung third party sales or play store Nexus version hits before too long.

Feedback Score
    Looks like it has been an LTE Radio issue as far as 4 network LTE phones go, but seems Qualcomm will have a solution by years end. Not sure what Moto and others have going on internally with proprietary stuffs, but maybe such things aren't just being explored by Qualcomm?? It's interesting also that this is a 7 band design, but only supports 3 band upto 1000mhz and 3 from 1000-2000Mhz and one over 2000Mhz. That will cover almost any networks setup here in the USA for awhile, but doesn't give you global 4g just yet as standard 3G blocks are all being kept and 3G and all sorts of random spectrum is being used worldwide to build 4G.

Seemingly as we move to a converged data only use of spectrum these radios are apparently going to get pretty complicated as they need to be able to be able to talk on all sorts of random chunks of air.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Qualc...mpaign=Feed%3A

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 plus 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Galaxy SIII...ordered today...some questions answered...

I've seen a few questions about the data plan and the upgrade fee that I didn't see answered....So here goes..
    Went onto VZW web site this am and ordered my SIII....It allowed me to keep my existing "unlimited data" plan for $29.99...It also allowed me to grandfather in a $10.00.... 500 text plus unlimited mobile to mobile text plan that I had....I got the $249.99 32 GB one and the price was listed at $219.00 after some unknown $30.00 discount....However the $30.00 upgrade fee was at the end of the list so I netted out at the $249.99 price....Interestingly it did say my NE2 was gone and not renewed......I called and asked if that ment I had to pay retail after 2 years for a new phone and was told...no there will be another discount when I want to upgrade that will be similar but they didn't have details....So there it is!
    VZW....where our motto is...we are always last on software updates!

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

The D4, I believe, is still waiting for this same promise to be realized, is it not?

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post

The D4, I believe, is still waiting for this same promise to be realized, is it not?

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Yes, but this is more related to being able to take the phone with LTE sim roaming into a different country. All these roaming partners stuff needs to be ready and such before they push updates and make official that is doable. AFAIK NO LTE phones have got this "global" update just yet as it's really not related to the phone so much as the roaming networks and such. Right now you need to have a device that has GSM only roaming sim to roam globally.

Not sure why unlocking so you can use foreign SIMs hasn't been an option from day one with Global GSM capable LTE devices??

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    So, the same network issues will affect both the D4 and the SGSIII?

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    So, the same network issues will affect both the D4 and the SGSIII?

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Well it's more a SIM issue I suppose than network or device. They want the LTE SIMs to work globally and they just don't yet I guess?? They could probably enable it today with some truncated network partner/country list, but are waiting until a more complete set is ready.

No clue on all the technical aspects, but the above is my take. Basically no device can currently roam with LTE SIM everywhere VZW would like, so it's not enabled.

Pretty sure any device with that will eventually get this update could already be getting used globally with local sims in the country you are visiting, but apparently VZW isn't keen on peeps doing that even though they have traditionally helped unlock "global" devices for such things before. Guessing if you put up a stink on such a thing today they might be able to enable such a thing already.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Hard to say. The back cover design has changed a good bit to where it's a now seems to be a middle ground between the S and SII. The S was annoying because it was the wrap around variety that seemed to be easier to break. The SII didn't wrap around at the sides at all and kinda hand stuff that tucked under and ended up flush with the back. This one seems to attach more like the SII, but wrap around more like the original S. I bring all this up because the wrap around nature of this and the S allow more thickness to be added without making the extended cover look hump-back like. The sort flush to the back nature of the SII meant it kinda just removed the lower speaker humped thickness to be made more flush with the back of the device and any thickness beyond that needed to be humpbackish.

Basically this new design will allow for more stock looking back covers that add more thickness while still looking stock than SII so could technically mean a pretty large OEM extended battery. Also should mean that aftermarket generic el-cheapo extended batteries could be huge capacity and not look so bad as this thin(larger area) 2100mah can probably double or triple in thickness and capacity and still not be to thick. Would not be surprised to see seidio and those sorts offer a 4000-5000mah cell.

In the end this is all speculation though as the Galaxy Note doesn't even have an OEM extended battery as far as I know since it's 2500mah stock. 2100mah stock could mean they don't bother with and extended and leave that to the aftermarket.
    That's a good point about the area of the battery. Such a large footprint means making it just a hair thicker should add quick a bit of capacity to the battery. It would be nice to see an extended battery, but I could see them scrapping that idea altogether. I guess we'll know in about a month (hopefully less!).

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I'm getting a bit more serious about this phone. Still I'd very much like to see official vzw specifications unique to the sch-i535 vzw LTE model. If they're on the Verizon site, I haven't found them. Is it usual practice for the lady in red to solicit pre-sale orders without providing complete official specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Could be.....don't hold your horses; but the web site will be definitive.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 06-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Tc, you could ask fauguy if he got a review unit yet.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes please pm him and see if he is testing his unit.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Tc, you could ask fauguy if he got a review unit yet.
    Except ... you just beat me to the punch.

Yeah, a review would resolve some questions that raw specs wouldn't. Then, too, specs might tell us a lot that a hands-on could miss -- like mp3 ringtones or 64GB SD support. Really need both.

So, vzw does often take pre-orders without publishing the full specs?
    That sucks... IMO.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Took this from Verizon pre order page
    Display

4.8” 1280x720 16M HD Super AMOLED™ display

Keyboard

Virtual QWERTY Keyboard

Battery

Standard Battery – 2100 mAh
    Usage time – up to 15 hours OR; Standby time – up to 200 hrs

SAR

Head: 0.48 W/kg ; Body–worn 1.29W/kg

Memory / Processor

Dual core 1.5GHz processor & 2GB of RAM
    16GB internal memory (actual formatted capacity is less)
    Supports up to 64GB microSD card (sold separately)

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
    Took this from Verizon pre order page
    You mean it's been there a week for all to see?

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast