Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S III Pre-Release Thread

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wow, looks like they are going all out.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    TC, got any corroboration on this? I'm doubting this.
    Inferring from vzw press release posted by FAUguy. First post after midnight today.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Feedback Score
    Wow, looks like they are going all out.
    Or.....Wow, looks like they are going all Qualcomm!

Pretty sure such things would need to be deliberately disabled if using all Qualcomm and were missing as effort to get them working is probably minimal compared to when you go your own randomly sourced and/or internally developed component route.

I think Krait in S4 has forced everyone's hand in going all Qualcomm in this respect. When it was A9 vs Scorpion you had a clear advantage with A9 and it made since to go with some A9 chip that probably didn't have basebands and such built in. Many would use Qualcomm basebands anyhow though with their A9 chip, but also many went with internally developed LTE basebands. With Krait killing everything, including quadcore A9 with only two cores in many cases, it just doesn't make sense to deviate from a complete qualcomm solution.

Now to see how supply pans out. Rumor has it there will be critical mass in S4 demand before summer is out and that won't be fixed until fall. So if you want one of these devices you should probably get in early.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Inferring from vzw press release posted by FAUguy. First post after midnight today.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Another interesting thing being touted on these I wasn't aware of was the video and other task at the same time capability in some windowed mode. Is this standard SIII ICS thing whether 1 or 2gb of ram or is this something unique to the 2gb RAM versions of SIII. Didn't really pay much attention to the SIII launch.

Regardless, would be nice if such a windowed video and/or generic multitask capability of sorts were added to Android with the next version. The general stalling of RAM at 1gb seems to have been the biggest reason to avoid bothering with such a capability as screen sizes, resolutions, and tablets have made such things more doable technically. No matter the resolution a 3.5" screen just can't support more than one page/app/list of stuff regardless, but as you go over 4.5" and have good resolutions, such things become a lot easier to do and do well.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Straight from the FCC report at the top of page 9 and also later in the actual testing while in SVDO mode. And it works on PCS or Cellular bands alone or in combos using both so you don't need both frequency ranges owned by VZW in your area to use it the way it explains it.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApp...tml?id=1697145
    ... .
    "You are not authorized to access this page "

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Feedback Score
    "You are not authorized to access this page "

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    It's the Part 22 24 report in this link??

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...516947&fcc_id=

It's also mentioned in the Part 27 LTE report under device capabilities along with the SVLTE capability that all the LTE devices seem to have. Thinking VoLTE would be outside FCC testing since it's IP based voice over the same LTE data link as far as I know.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Jasaero, care to speculate on the bootloader situation for the SGSIII?

I'm liking this phone a lot. An unlocked bootloader might be the tipping point for me.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Feedback Score
    Jasaero, care to speculate on the bootloader situation for the SGSIII?

I'm liking this phone a lot. An unlocked bootloader might be the tipping point for me.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    That's doubtful. Pretty sure the bigger problem with Samsung devices on VZW has been dev support more than how easily exploited the Samsung boot loader lock tends to be. Similarity between this device and the Sprint version with both being complete qualcomm internals and having both CDMA/GSM/LTE and only differing in radio frequency could change that quite a bit as I am guessing lots of these devs could share work more successfully. Not sure if you were aware of this, but Sprint Nexus(also CDMA/LTE) is so similar that the device code name is Toroplus to the VZW Toro version.

Now the fact these are VERY close to 4 network open device capable devices(one LTE radio band away) could mean a third version with such capability happened and was sold open through 3rd parties such as Google. Basically this device is REALLY close to what Google would like to have in the play store. Not sure how easy it would be to add the Sprint LTE bands along with VZW's, but that's really the only thing left in creating a completely open 4 network device.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I presume you knew that Sprint is also getting an LTE SGSIII.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Feedback Score
    I presume you knew that Sprint is also getting an LTE SGSIII.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Yes. I was referring to it specifically initially and only mentioned the Sprint Nexus to point out it and the VZW one have almost the same code name.

I speculate that an unlocked Nexus version of the SIII that is fully unlocked and 4 USA network GSM/CDMA/LTE probably also will probably exist. I think it's probably possible, but not exactly sure a device of this nature that is also global could work??

One thing that still confuses me a bit is related to Baseband and radio and antenna. It's always confused me a bit why a GSM/EDGE quadband or pentaband device for example, is only compatible with certain couple UMTS/HSPA bands when all the needed UMTS/HSPA bands are covered for GSM?? I would sorta get it if lots of stuffs needed to work simultaneously, but that doesn't seem to be the case TOO often and almost never when you are just talking a multinetwork "compatible" device.

In the end though a universal GSM/HSPA/CDMA/LTE device seems to be VERY close to possible here in the US now. It would need Quadband LTE to work on ALL the LTE stuff already though once you include Sprint which doesn't even have LTE working anywhere, but is build a PCS LTE network. AT&T is already dual band LTE with AWS and a lower block of the TV spectrum.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    In the end though a universal GSM/HSPA/CDMA/LTE device seems to be VERY close to possible here in the US now.
    So how big would the battery be?

Feedback Score
    So how big would the battery be?
    Same size. The device would never use any more power due to this. Just more baseband/radio modes than most current devices have. Although global VZW LTE devices already basically have this capability. Just cause a device is dualband or quadband or pentaband has nothing to do with battery draw if it's only ever using one or two bands at any one time.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    So what will the next round of arguments against interoperability sound like then?

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Feedback Score
    So what will the next round of arguments against interoperability sound like then?

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    I'm not sure they will exist. With SIMs and move to ALL LTE, pretty sure it's just simply inevitable OEMs will just start building universal devices. Going to be pretty much impossible to argue against it now that they have all went down this same path. We'll see. Some of it could still be tough from a technical standpoint though I suppose as there will be lots of blocks of spectrum JUST for the US market in use.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to change the subject, but I'm curious as to what size the extended battery will be like for this phone (obviously, I'm making the assumption one will be released). The stock battery is already giant, capacity-wise, but because the phone is so thin to begin with, an extended battery wouldn't necessarily make it annoyingly thick (and hopefully not too ugly). I hope Samsung/Verizon give us battery options. Unless of course the phone is so well-optimized that it doesn't need the extra juice...most likely wishful thinking for an LTE device.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast