Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Verizon customers on individual plan with smartphone and no corp. discount?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score

Any Verizon customers on individual plan with smartphone and no corp. discount?

First off I am on a Verizon family plan and also an ATT family plan.

But we all know Verizon has by far the most expensive plans available. And we all know going pre pay makes so much sense especially for the first two lines. The carriers profit margin start eroding once there are 3 lines in a family plan especially with the huge smartphone subsidies given (especially if the customers elect to buy a subsidized iphone)

So my question is:

Are there any individual plan users with Verizon using smartphones with no corp. discounts? (who actually pay their own cell bill instead of having their company pay the bill)

If you are, than consider yourself Verizon's most profitable customer. You are the type of customer Verizon wants. Other carriers offer any mobile etc (Sprint/ATT) for the same individual plans.

Unless coverage is so poor and Verizon the only game in town, it makes very little sense to stick with Verizon as a individual line user. Going prepaid is the better choice unless you must have that particular phone Verizon only sells on the post paid plans.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread moved.
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Or unless you want 4g data....and dont say t mobile offers prepaid 4g data hspa+ is not 4g. Arent we a free society that can choose what provider we want?? And really whats the point of the thread besides saying something everybody knows. Prepaid offers some advantages to some people. If you want cheap service with zero support and limited features prepaids for you. If you want the latest and greatest and actually like customer support then its not.

Sent from my ADR8995 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Actually I PM the moderator for moving this thread. It's all about education for the public. There are reasons for people being on a particular carrier. And very few people are on individual plans with Verizon wireless with smartphones unless they:
    1. Have no coverage in their area
    2. Have corp. discounts
    3. Or grandfathered into features/plans that aren't available anymore.
    4. Or have plenty of money and price isn't any issue.

Look, I have both ATT and Verizon. This is not a Verizon bashing post. It was never intended to be.

It was about the education of people who do not come to this form a lot.

It's like I try to educate people that while Verizon and other carriers recently have started throwing out hints that smartphone subsidies are eroding their profits.

What Verizon and other carriers really are saying is:

1. People are on family plans to save money
    2. We can't keep subsidizing lines 2-5 especially if they buy an iPhone for a $400 subsidized price
    3. We can't really say it's the iPhone that's the most heavily subsidized phone because for competitive reasons we like to keep the MSRP price of those high end LTE Android devices the same as the iPhone even though we really buy them for 40% less than MSRP (per Sprint CEO remarks)

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well thank goodness they have you to educate them. Wheeew.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Now ill ask you some questions. Why is the cell phone industry the only one where people feel the company shouldnt turn a profit? What are they in business to do? If any other company notices a loss or a minimal profit in one area how do they respond to it? Glad you mentioned Sprint. Why cant Sprint turn a profit? Is it because they gave away the farm for so long and now when its time for them to actually upgrade and mantain there network they dont have the money to do it? So they borrow borrow borrow to complete the steps just to compete in the modern cell phone world??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyh318 View Post
    Well thank goodness they have you to educate them. Wheeew.

You will be surprised how many Americans do not understand the concept of what a cell phone subsidy means. And many still think even paying $199 for an iPhone on contract is too expensive.

The American model in which cell phones are brought are much different from the rest of the world.

I don't have issues paying $500-700 full price for phone and I have in the past with higher end Nokia phones. But 90-95% of American do have that problem.

And that gets to the real question. Americans do not understand that family talk plans in which lines 2-5 buy expensive smartphones are eroding carrier profits.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    I guess americans dont understand anything. Funny the rest of the world copies our free enterprise system though. Ahhh capitalism is a great thing.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    I guess i am missing the point. Ok. The customer gets what he wants a shiney new phone for under 200 bucks. The provider gets what they want a customer and revenue for 2 years. Wheres the foul? They let you read the contract before you sign it. They tell you how much your bill is before you sign it. If the consumer,who has all the power in the transaction, feels that the cost is to high he or she has the right to walk away. Same with prepaid. If the consumer feels there not getting what they want they can walk away. Ones not better than the other they just offer different things. And whats wrong with verizon or any carrier making money on the transaction? Isnt that why there in business?? Your telling me prepaid carriers make zero profit?? Then how is Carlos Slim one of the richest men in the world? He leased airtime dirt cheap and sold it at a profit. Thats the american way. Buy low sell high. Its what everyone strives to do.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    You will be surprised how many Americans do not understand the concept of what a cell phone subsidy means. And many still think even paying $199 for an iPhone on contract is too expensive.

The American model in which cell phones are brought are much different from the rest of the world.
    Your right but it was the American carriers that created the monster that they now have to feed.

T-Mobile has tried to offer non subsidized phones on incredible plans but nobody is biting. 99.99 a month is an incredible deal for unlimited talk, text and 2GB of high speed data (then throttle) per line.

Rather ironic that even in this lousy economy, the most expensive carrier keeps posting the best subscriber additions quarter after quarter.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Your right but it was the American carriers that created the monster that they now have to feed.

T-Mobile has tried to offer non subsidized phones on incredible plans but nobody is biting. 99.99 a month is an incredible deal for unlimited talk, text and 2GB of high speed data (then throttle) per line.

Rather ironic that even in this lousy economy, the most expensive carrier keeps posting the best subscriber additions quarter after quarter.
    The last data I could find was way back in 2006 when it was reported 40% of users were on family plans. That's 2006 before the smartphone boom.

I am pretty sure the percentage of users on family talk plans has exploded to around 70% on Verizon and other carriers. Carriers do not report percentage of users on individual or family plans. For obvious reasons. People know individual plans generate the best profits. But "subscribers" have meaning to investors. More post-paid subscribers means Wall Street is happy. The American public isn't bright enough to know secondary lines mean less profit for carriers.

Verizon added 500K post paid "new subscribers" last quarter compared to ATT's 150K post plan subscribers. People are questioning whether ATT added any net subscribers because of the way tablet subscribers are factored in.

It is my opinion many of the new "subscribers" are additions to family plans instead of individual plans. Why is this very important?

Individual lines generate far more profit than familytalk additions.

I have nothing against profit margins or companies making profits. I own both ATT stock now in addition to my previously owned Verizon stock. They are great income generating stocks paying 5% plus dividend.

The issue we have in the USA is the family talk plans present great value to the American's and make the most sense for people on smartphone plans.

In Europe, there are no such things as "family plans" All the plans are essentially individual plans. That's why you see European carriers offer iPhone for "free" on contract. While in the USA, carriers offer subsidized phones the same regardless if one primary or secondary lines. Secondary lines generate half the profit as primary lines.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Because they offer the best service. You guys make it sound like verizon is 3 times the amount of anyone else. Most people will pay 20 to 30 bucks more a month for a better product. Simple as that. Again noone is forcing you to use a cell phone or any provider. The choice is yours what you do.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    And your right obviously family plans are the better deal. The carrier benefits also from family plans. But it dont make individual plans dumb. Its just different strokes for different folks. T mobile plans arent bad the un subbed plans are an ok idea but tmobile is dying so fast there willing to try anything. Its a shame but true. The cell industry as a whole is better when all 4 companies are in good shape. Its turned into the big 2 against the little 2 and the little 2 are bleeding heavily.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    This kinda ties in with the sub charges. Read an interesting study done a few years ago. Thry asked people would they rather take 100 bucks right now or 30 a week for the next 4 weeks. Now obviously the 30 a week in the long run is the better deal but 87% of the people took the 100 now. Same with cell phones. People would rather take the savings upfront on the phone rather than save 20 bucks a month over 2 years. Cell providers know this and its what the people want. Imagine the uproar if verizon or att said ok we will charge cheaper monthly rates but u gotta pay 500 bucks for that droid razr. It would kill the industry. You would see the second rise of the dumbphone. The original razr would make a huge comeback. It just makes no economical sense for either side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast