Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Anyone come back to BB after iPhone and android?

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    I use my Torch almost exclusively these days. My Nexus S is a major data pig, and uses about 10x the amount my BB does. I'm tired of it. The app permissions are insane for many of them, even the paid ones. It seems I'm paying Google to spy on my life, and paying for the data they use as well. And yes, I know I can turn off background data, but that neuters it for basic functions.

Other than that, it's a decent device. There are just too many hassles to use as a daily driver. I won't buy another one. Ever.
    Are you aware of the fact that in Android4.0 you can limit the amount of background data your Nexus S uses app by app instead of just turning off background data? Im pretty sure your Nexus S has the update waiting for you to do it. Sounds like you're just not prepared to learn about your smartphone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Samsung GALAXY Note 4 32GB +128GB MicroSDXC Charcoal Black
    Apple iPad 4 WIFI+4G LTE 16GB White
    "World can't hold me, too much ambition."Jay-Z

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will never come back to BB. Outdated slow POS.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Casio Commando is back-up phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Off and on...

Quote Originally Posted by oral2012 View Post
    I have come back and left many times. Once for the iPhone
    I to have left and come back and left as well. I am currently using a 4S with Verizon. I have a Commando ('droid), and a Tour, as well as a Bold. For simplicity I have a Casio Brigade.

I initially went away from Blackberry because I dislike the Tour and Bold's keyboard. I loved the ruggedness of the Brigade, but it's not a smartphone. I have the Commando, but I really don't like Google's assault on privacy and the fact that you seem to "have" to have a Gmail account...(I do, but I sure don't like to be told what to do).

I tried going back to the Bold a few times, but feature wise it's a non-starter. I am not going to even consider another RIM product until I get some inkling that they are going to be around. Often I want to chuck it all and go back to my simple reliable Brigade, but I sure love the totality of the iPhone experience. I'm no data hog...last month .790GB, but I have unlimited data and feel like I would miss it (smartphone) once I went back to the feature phone world.
    Last edited by howard; 04-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Feedback Score
    Actually, my mom couldn't buy this phone. She's been dead since the late 90's.

But, I've had Motorola (many), had Samsung, had Blackberry Torch and had to get rid of it the first week due to exceedlingly poor voice quality. That was too bad, as I liked the rest of it. Went on to a Blackberry Curve (think it was a 8830). Looked at Android. Tried iPhone but didn't like the whizzy rolling screen. Went to a Blackberry Bold 9650. Tried an iPhone a friend loaned me after she got rid of her Blackberry. She wanted me to try it. So I did. It takes great photos and has a great display...kudos to Apple for those two things. But, I couldn't type anything without major frustration. Even she said she had the same problem and wanted her Blackberry back.

Then....I realized. iPhones, Androids, and even tablets are nicely designed for consumers. Things with keyboards are designed for people who want to say something, designed for creators, people who make stuff.

The Blackberry 9650 never freezes, it does what I need, has fabulous voice quality, texting is a breeze, the Opera browser if superb, etc.

I'm staying with my Bold until the last Blackberry goes down the road into history.

Maybe by then mobiles will be incorporated in finger rings or tooth jackets....chose your color.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Blackberry provides great voice quality & RF, battery life is very good compared to competition. Can switch battery on the go.....sorry iPhone (losers). Just kidding

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.205 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Had many androids but always had my berry's active on another line. Many of the androids didn't stay with me for more than a month except 2. Ditched android for iphone4 which was a much better. Used it primarly for a couple months waiting on the 9900 to come out. Got the 9900 on att release day. Put my iphone in airplane mode calls forwarded and haven't looked back. The 9900 is so fast and so smooth. I dust myself on it compared to using my iphone. Battery is better. Web browser is better for reading on the 9900 with the multiple zoom mags with auto in column. BRIDGE got love it.Remote all day watching youtube on my 60" via playbook. I can download and SAVE anything I want to my BB. BBM. Blackberry Travel and Traffic.KEYBOARD. I love having all the menus that some curse because I can do what I want with all the options. Email, there is nothing close to BB.Signal strength and voice quality. Notifications and LED.Its just better.
    Last edited by boss_hog; 04-10-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    Dialtone? My computers stole it.
    Dialtone? The electronic equivalent of saying, "ehhhh..."

Yeah, Boss Hog, I hear you. You got the ideal setup. No question. That's the thing about BB. It's not whizzy whizzy bang bang, instead it's just great......now all BB needs is corporate management that can keep up

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I replaced my 9700 initially for a Nexus S. I got rid of the Nexus after about 2 months, I got fed up with it overheating, its awful battery drain and spontaneous re-boots, sometimes while I was on the phone. A quick check and it soon became clear I wasn't the only Nexus owner who was disatisfied. In fact, there were plenty of others complaining about the exact same issues as I, as well as plenty of complaints from those using different Android phones. The only help I got from the "community" was to load a custom ROM. Why should I? I paid enough for the phone that I had a reasonable expectation for it to actually work.

BB may not be as flash as the other OS's out there but it's reliable and does the job that it says it will on the box, the hardware is the best made out there by a long shot (are you listening Sam"plasticy"Sung?). With the recent improvements with OS7 I'm pretty excited about BB10, especially after seeing some of the performance data from the QNX OS2 tests.

For me reliability and usability are paramount. All that flash is pretty useless if all it achieves is it being re-sold on Kijiji for a loss.
    Last edited by Mann Incognito; 04-12-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by POLO_011 View Post
    Are you aware of the fact that in Android4.0 you can limit the amount of background data your Nexus S uses app by app instead of just turning off background data? Im pretty sure your Nexus S has the update waiting for you to do it. Sounds like you're just not prepared to learn about your smartphone.
    Evidently, you didn't read my post very well.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As big of a fan I was over the 6+ years I used Blackberry devices it's all over for me.

I'll give them one thing they have over any other phones, and that is better battery life. However, I soon realized that that was because I am now using my Android device much more than I ever did with any BB device. I now no longer just use it for email and texting.

The fact that I am getting less battery life due to increased daily usage is justified in my opinion. That's the reason we have phones anyway, right?

So many people, me included in the past, have a sense that the Blackberry devices portray a sense of 'professionalism'. I'm way over this now. Just because someone wears a $10,000 suit everyday doesn't mean anything in terms of 'professionalism' in my opinion. The same can be said for holding a phone and envisioning greater social status.

Anyway, just my $0.02 that RIM has officially lost me as a future customer after so many years of loyal usage.

All the best to the remaining followers.

Feedback Score
    Readers of this forum will likely be highly amused with the Russian professor, Gary Shteyngart's book, Super Sad True Love Story, written after observing campus life amongst the young at American universities. One of his "characters" is the apparat, an advanced smart phone of sorts, that becomes the micro servant of Big Brother, enslaving everyone. The book was chosen by Michiko Kakutani, the New York Times, The Washington Post and a host of others as the best book of 2011.

Prescient.

Imagining any phone, any electronic device portraying professionalism or portraying *anything,* will remain forever in the realm of those who salivate over the palaver of pop culture with its worship of celebrities, "what's out & what's hot" -lists serving the vacant hunger of the lost and the dead.

Congratulation, Mattt23 on your exit from that sewer. Hope you sent your $10,000 suit to the Goodwill.

Anyway, for me, price and convenience remain guiding fulcrums for these damned electronic smartphones. I prefer using all of them less, not more.
    Last edited by Non-Loquacious; 04-12-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo, clarification

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ^^You're amusing my dear lol

Anyway all I was trying to say was that there are so many out there currently using blackberries who insist on continuing to do so because of the look it gives them.

This is not my opinion - an observation only, that I'm just mentioning from regular interactions with customers.

I respect those who come in adamant that the blackberries are the superior phone, but it's just amusing when so many of these customers say that the main reason is because of the professional look it gives them. Just stating what I hear - not something I came up with.

Feedback Score
    Mattt33, as are you.

I thoroughly enjoyed your footnote elaborating on your observations.

You gave me an idea for a satire on ramp fashion with the models dress and mood centered around their smartphones and the "fashion statement it makes" for the press. Ah....I do admire Gary Shteyngart.

Device(s)
    Nokia N80 / 6682 / 7610 / 3650 / 7210 / 8890 / 8390 / 7190 / 6190 / 5190 / 2190
    Carrier(s)
    Fido!!
    Feedback Score
    For years, I kept a BB for my business phone and kept a Nokia/Symbian phone for my personal use. Today I use an HTC Amaze for business, and an iPhone 4S for personal.

For me it simply came down to a lack of innovation. I left BB for the same reasons that I left Nokia/Symbian. They really did fail to keep up in many regards. Other products began to suit my daily needs better.

I don't see people arguing, fighting or flaming over the death of Symbian. It amuses me to see the "business people" in the RIM camp fight this issue with such an emotional response. If the BB still works for you - that's great. But if it doesn't, you shouldn't be afraid to move on. Would you show the same passion towards a photocopier migration from Xerox to Ricoh? How about moving your office phone system from a legacy Norstar to an Avaya system? No. I didn't think so.

I can't foresee any reason for me to ever go back to the BB. On the flip side, if something more compelling than Android or iPhone came out - then I would certainly have to consider those options as well. And if that happened to be a BB product, then so be it. However looking at the odds here - I just can't see it happening.

Cheers,
    SD.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
    For years, I kept a BB for my business phone and kept a Nokia/Symbian phone for my personal use. Today I use an HTC Amaze for business, and an iPhone 4S for personal.

For me it simply came down to a lack of innovation. I left BB for the same reasons that I left Nokia/Symbian. They really did fail to keep up in many regards. Other products began to suit my daily needs better.

I don't see people arguing, fighting or flaming over the death of Symbian. It amuses me to see the "business people" in the RIM camp fight this issue with such an emotional response. If the BB still works for you - that's great. But if it doesn't, you shouldn't be afraid to move on. Would you show the same passion towards a photocopier migration from Xerox to Ricoh? How about moving your office phone system from a legacy Norstar to an Avaya system? No. I didn't think so.

I can't foresee any reason for me to ever go back to the BB. On the flip side, if something more compelling than Android or iPhone came out - then I would certainly have to consider those options as well. And if that happened to be a BB product, then so be it. However looking at the odds here - I just can't see it happening.

Cheers,
    SD.
    + 1. Well said SD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast