Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Android or Apple?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Studies are now showing that 4" to 4.5" represent the ideal size people want in a smartphone. I believe that is now the sweet spot. You can extend that to 4.7" with Ice Cream Sandwich because the phone removes buttons and enlarges the screen downward to replace the capacitive buttons with screen buttons.
    Such studies are pointless because everyone has their own tastes and dislikes.

Sent from my R800x using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    They're not. Individual tastes can be translated over large populations into segments and niches. The key is to determine which one is the largest and about how big are the rest. This does not mean those who like the smallest and largest phones will be ignored (see Samsung), but they would already have some predisposition how big and viable are each of the size markets.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    For me, it was a lot easier to go from an iPhone to an Android than to go back to an iPhone after being on a high end Android. Going from iPhone to Android felt like a new world of features and customizations opened up. Going back felt like I was being restricted. Hence, I am back on Android. Even little things like 4g download speeds, flash and hotspot capabilities on a prepaid sim are things I took for granted until I actually got these features on an Android. Now I can't live without them. But I also would not recommend Android to my mom. She is not very tech savvy and doesn't want to think about her phone. So iPhone it is for her. The other nice thing about an iPhone is that it holds its value well. You can always find someone to take it off your hands at a premium price even when it is two generations old.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII blue
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    What if I want a phone with a smaller screen but high end specs like the galaxy s2 or the motorola razr? I dont need a HUGE screen nor do I want one because I have small hands but that leaves me in the crap mid range android market which sucks! So Apple has done well IMHO.

Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    They're not. Individual tastes can be translated over large populations into segments and niches. The key is to determine which one is the largest and about how big are the rest. This does not mean those who like the smallest and largest phones will be ignored (see Samsung), but they would already have some predisposition how big and viable are each of the size markets.
    But what everyone likes may not be the best for you. From my experience, the market is just a load of sheep!

I say try both and see what works for you.

For me, Swype is enough of a reason to stay with Android.

Written with a SH7218u using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky2006 View Post
    What if I want a phone with a smaller screen but high end specs like the galaxy s2 or the motorola razr? I dont need a HUGE screen nor do I want one because I have small hands but that leaves me in the crap mid range android market which sucks! So Apple has done well IMHO.
    Samsung Galaxy Blaze just released on TMobile. 3.9 inch screen, duo core, 42mpbs download capability.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII blue
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
    Samsung Galaxy Blaze just released on TMobile. 3.9 inch screen, duo core, 42mpbs download capability.

thats all fine and good but I live in canada... and it wont work on Bell mobility.

Feedback Score
    thats all fine and good but I live in canada... and it wont work on Bell mobility.
    You can buy it unlocked from any number of electronics retailers that sell unlocked phones. Full retail on this is less than $500. It has the 3g/4g bands 850/AWS/1900/2100. It will definitely work on Telus. I am 99% sure it will also work on Bell and Rogers except on LTE. But Telus is your best bet since it also has a high speed HSPA+ network.

Feedback Score
    Btw, GSMArena is reporting a rumor that the iPhone 5 will have a 4.6 inch screen. If true, what will you do?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by martindesu View Post
    But what everyone likes may not be the best for you. From my experience, the market is just a load of sheep!

I say try both and see what works for you.

For me, Swype is enough of a reason to stay with Android.

But, isn't that also being a sheep?

It's important to realize that the two OS platforms are built different and have different strengths and both have weaknesses. Android OS weakness is Java. Many apps are Java based, though Android OS doesn't utilize full Java. Oracle suing Google over their poaching of Oracle Java code without licensing it might hurt Android. Whole chunks of offending Java code have been removed from Android OS. This affects such areas as MIDI control. This may not affect the average smartphone user who only wants Angry Birds or Facebook integration with their home screen, but it does affect power nerds who want to integrate their Android OS device with their recording studio. iOS isn't for everyone and certainly Android OS isn't either. Some of us iOS users aren't sheep. Half the battle is getting the average Android OS user to understand that there is problem at all.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    But, isn't that also being a sheep?

It's important to realize that the two OS platforms are built different and have different strengths and both have weaknesses. Android OS weakness is Java. Many apps are Java based, though Android OS doesn't utilize full Java. Oracle suing Google over their poaching of Oracle Java code without licensing it might hurt Android. Whole chunks of offending Java code have been removed from Android OS. This affects such areas as MIDI control. This may not affect the average smartphone user who only wants Angry Birds or Facebook integration with their home screen, but it does affect power nerds who want to integrate their Android OS device with their recording studio. iOS isn't for everyone and certainly Android OS isn't either. Some of us iOS users aren't sheep. Half the battle is getting the average Android OS user to understand that there is problem at all.
    What "battle" are you talking about and why do you care unless you happen to work for Apple? People are certainly "aware" of Android problems even if they don't know what Android is because Apple is the king of marketing buzz words like "fragmentation." So maybe half the battle is to overcome stereotypes as well? God fanboys are tiring. Just buy what you like and stop trying to convince others that your system is the best.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII blue
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
    Btw, GSMArena is reporting a rumor that the iPhone 5 will have a 4.6 inch screen. If true, what will you do?
    that rumor is exactly that... a rumor, I've read on iPhonehacks.com that in 2 different articles its been a rumor and apple has no plans of going much bigger then 3.5 inches if at all, they'd have to do too much work in order to get a retina display for a 4.6 inch screen and all the apps would have to be redone.

Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree with internet user. I own both and also have an iPad. I love technology, in all shapes and sizes.Apple's phone is excellent; very polished and tight. My Android on the other hand is not, but it has different strengths.

Most of the phones on the market today are simply amazing. When I got my first phone,it couldn't even SMS!

Feedback Score
    I went from a blackberry curve which I had for a year to the evo which i used for a year and a half and used my upgrade last week on a iphone 4s. I talk very little about 30 minutes a month but text in the 1000's as with email and browse online literally a ton, The blackberry browser stunk so bad the evo was like having a laptop in my pocket or hip, Android is great for ease of use, browsing and customizing your phone. My main ***** with the htc was the terrible battery life which left me charging at work usually 3 times a day hence my being ready for a upgrade, i work in a industrial setting and the size of the new samsung turned me off and i felt it was time to try the iphone, so far other than the ridiculous way you have to make ringtones in itunes i am very happy, The iphone seems tough and after a couple days i have learned to use it fairly well. i am not a gamer or app junkie, just a 40 year guy who likes to surf and listen to my iron maiden in the avalanche and surf the web on my down time between jobs at the shop, either way you go you will be happy. my experience with the one android phone was great except for the battery life, with my iphone 1 charge is lasting all day and I can do what i did before and not have to carry a ipod and a phone

Feedback Score
    Yep. Purchasing features that are important to you is much more rationale than purchasing on the basis of fanboism. I find that blind fan boys can rationalize any vice into a virtue on their own systems and any virtue into a vice on the other platform.

Me, I'm looking for features that I want at a price that that doesn't leave me feeling ripped off. Apple doesn't offer me the features I want at a reasonable price right now. Android does. It's similar to a debate I have with my brother about cars. He loves Mercedes Benz and is willing to pay 45K for a C-class so that Mercedes logo can be displayed for the world to see. I drive an Audi A4 which is 10K cheaper and superior in everyway from a performance and features perspective. Right now Android is the A4 and Apple is the C-class.

That may change with the next iPhone we will see. I may even go to a Windows phone once their apps market is populated enough because it will mean I can integrate seamlessly with my productivity software which is mostly Office based. Again, we will see. Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast