Thread: iPhone 4S on VZN and Canadian Carrier?

Feedback Score

iPhone 4S on VZN and Canadian Carrier?

I have an iPhone 4S on VZN and live on a border. 2/3 of my time is spent in Canada, but usually close enough to border to have cell coverage.

However, my girlfriend, her family, and my work are all in Canada. I don't want to lose my VZN phone as I travel a lot in the U.S as well, and love the 4S and the VZN network. However, I am carrying a Nexus S unlocked on a Canadian provider as my Canadian phone, and I just can't get used to having two phones in my pocket.

I was wondering, I should be able to call VZN and request an unlock (as I am going over seas in a few weeks as well), when I get back, can I try my microSIM in my VZN iPhone 4S if it is unlocked?

I am thinking that yes, it will work.. But how will it work if I have the SIM in, while in the US? or will I have to pop the SIM in and out when I need to switch networks?

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how the iPhone deals with this, software wise, and if it would maybe simplify my tech.

Thanks!

Miles

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    In the US, you cannot use the Verizon handset on US GSM carriers (At&t, Tmobile). Even an unlock provided by Verizon will not change that. It would work internationally on GSM networks internationally.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    A bit more detail: the VZW version of the iPhone has been configured to disallow SIMs with a country ID specifying North America. This is separate from "SIM locking" which disallows any SIM other than that of the particular provider. A locked VZW iPhone will only accept a VZW SIM (which will not roam on North American GSM networks); an unlocked one will accept any SIM EXCEPT one from the US or Canada.

Device(s)
    Note 9, S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 4S!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune_VII View Post
    iPhone 4S!
    Wow, that makes a whole difference!! So glad you posted that insightful post.

Device(s)
    Note 9, S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Wow, that makes a whole difference!! So glad you posted that insightful post.
    No problem. So glad that that post made you happy.

And btw that was a forum error for the "this phone vs this phone".

kthxbai.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why not just get a Nationwide + Canada plan and get international data just to use if you have no WiFi around you when in Canada?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    Why not just get a Nationwide + Canada plan and get international data just to use if you have no WiFi around you when in Canada?
    One problem with the NW+C voice plan (don't get me going on Global Data!) based on the OP's described usage is that VZW has been starting to enforce the "more than 50% use in Canada over 3 consecutive billing periods" part of the contract recently. Nobody I know has had their account terminated yet, but they did have to escalate their case to a supervisor to get a "one-time" waiver.

OP, wish I had a better suggestion, but ultimately the 2-phone thing may be the most economical.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba'al View Post
    One problem with the NW+C voice plan (don't get me going on Global Data!) based on the OP's described usage is that VZW has been starting to enforce the "more than 50% use in Canada over 3 consecutive billing periods" part of the contract recently. Nobody I know has had their account terminated yet, but they did have to escalate their case to a supervisor to get a "one-time" waiver.

OP, wish I had a better suggestion, but ultimately the 2-phone thing may be the most economical.
    Exactly, and the need to have a Canadian number.

May just have to stick with two phones, thanks!