Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Commission & Salary structures

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VZWINDIRECTGUY View Post
    Converged solutions is never going to sell if your in urban areas.
    Not sure why this is the case. People buy cable services all the time.

We sell it, not a lot. Still something with no inventory and as far as I can tell no chargeback mechanism in place with no contract for unlimited high speed data. What is not to like for the customer and for the retailer?

Branding ourselves in the community as a cable outlet is going to take time. But people dislike the corporate cable office almost like they dislike corp vzw stores, so we give them a decent option.

I would say that if you done not branched out past cellular and accessories in the next 2 years, you are probably going to be an even rarer and ever dwindling breed. The margins only get tighter on wireless, while corp profits climb nicely. Imagine what life would be like if corp profits were reduced.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score

Re: Commission & Salary structures

The problem we have locally with convergence... you can bundle Qwest (DSL, now CenturyLink) and VZW. At this point, you call CenturyLink for account changes. Bundle discount? $0, you just "don't have to bother with two bills." Not much bother when they're on autopay 8-) My parents did this (why? No clue), then once they had to temporarily unbundle to make some account changes they just never rebundled.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Not sure why this is the case. People buy cable services all the time.

We sell it, not a lot. Still something with no inventory and as far as I can tell no chargeback mechanism in place with no contract for unlimited high speed data. What is not to like for the customer and for the retailer?

Branding ourselves in the community as a cable outlet is going to take time. But people dislike the corporate cable office almost like they dislike corp vzw stores, so we give them a decent option.

I would say that if you done not branched out past cellular and accessories in the next 2 years, you are probably going to be an even rarer and ever dwindling breed. The margins only get tighter on wireless, while corp profits climb nicely. Imagine what life would be like if corp profits were reduced.

I will carry anything that I do not have to inventory, totally agree there. What I disagree with is that this is going to replace the lower profits that are we going to continue to see in wireless. When selling phones we are already competing with corporate, online, and many others. You mean to tell me that comcast will be any easier when they do not allow you to advertise it, you are competing with verizon and now comcast online, direct comcast salespeople, comcast corporate offices, and all of their mailings with instant discounts etc. You are now a 3rd middle man and for that reason you will never move it in volume or make any money.

Feedback Score
    I have been an indirect agent in Ohio for 5yrs. My payment is unique, and is a direct reflection of everything the store earns. I am a sub-agent of sorts. Over the last few years, our commissions from Verizon have been getting lower and lower. I was wondering if you would have any info on the actual commission per new line/renewal from Verizon, as I never get to see the actual commission. I only get to see what the owner of the company tells me. I found The Cellular Connection actual commission sheet and they are getting paid $90 more per new line/renewal. That company is a monster, so I assume Verizon is compensating them better. But what I don't understand, is why I lose money on almost every top tier phone when I am selling them for the same price as Verizon is?? It doesn't make sense for them to only want me to sell cheap phones to make money. I would appreciate any advice you can give me and in return I will help you in any way I can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwohio View Post
    I have been an indirect agent in Ohio for 5yrs. My payment is unique, and is a direct reflection of everything the store earns. I am a sub-agent of sorts. Over the last few years, our commissions from Verizon have been getting lower and lower. I was wondering if you would have any info on the actual commission per new line/renewal from Verizon, as I never get to see the actual commission. I only get to see what the owner of the company tells me. I found The Cellular Connection actual commission sheet and they are getting paid $90 more per new line/renewal. That company is a monster, so I assume Verizon is compensating them better. But what I don't understand, is why I lose money on almost every top tier phone when I am selling them for the same price as Verizon is?? It doesn't make sense for them to only want me to sell cheap phones to make money. I would appreciate any advice you can give me and in return I will help you in any way I can.
    You are not suppose to match most of the verizon online prices. Agents that are direct with verizon with hundreds of stores do not match all of the online prices. Sub agents are not going to come close to matching, if you are matching to loose money I hope your strategy is not to make it by volume.

Feedback Score

Commission & Salary structures

My actual commission checks are larger now because of high subsidies and the large commissions on iPhones and other smartphones. In the end we make about the same in all of them. Smartphones average a little more than basic phones and I hear basic phones are going to get even less. Knock on wood but I'm making decent money today. I generally match online pricing too. I'd need to see some specific examples. The Razrs are some of the worst right now with the sale prices. Maybe $80 profit. Most smartphones are $120-$140 range id say. Basic phones $50-$100 range.

Occasionally a smartphone sale would lose money if I match a really good sale or maybe $30 or something crazy low.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, new comp schedule starting 5/1. Love how once I get it memorized, they change it again.

Feedback Score

Any details? I'm afraid!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by starfish00 View Post
    Any details? I'm afraid!
    LOWer..................................

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    As usual, we are the frogs in the pot of water gradually be warmed to a boil.
    Diversify.
    Anyone gotten into phone repair? Much money in that? Or pretty much just learn to replace Iphone glass don't get too cute?

Feedback Score

It's not bad at all. Pretty much everything we're selling for better. Basic phone upgrades slightly less. Not even enough to mention and to be expected. MBB is up, smartphone tiers consolidated to 3 but tier 1 is higher for us. The other two I think are down slightly but nothing to really speak of. I usually have almost all tier 1 devices anyway. All tiers including basic phones I believe are slightly higher for new acts. More device types count towards volume bonus as well. If you have a problem with new structure your focus is in the wrong area and you're selling the wrong things.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Problem is going to be the handset loss will just up more on Tier 1 devices, which means we make the same thing for more risk on the chargebacks. Just got slammed last month on iPhone chargebacks from 2 different deadbeat customers, so that is a sore spot for me right now.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    As usual, we are the frogs in the pot of water gradually be warmed to a boil.
    Diversify.
    Anyone gotten into phone repair? Much money in that? Or pretty much just learn to replace Iphone glass don't get too cute?

I got certified for cellular repair. There is decent money in it and there is definitely need out there for it, I just have not started advertising it yet. Just getting jobs from walk in traffic and word of mouth. Going to start focusing on it more this month finally.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _KC_ View Post
    Problem is going to be the handset loss will just up more on Tier 1 devices, which means we make the same thing for more risk on the chargebacks. Just got slammed last month on iPhone chargebacks from 2 different deadbeat customers, so that is a sore spot for me right now.

I agree, love how when the commissions first come out you have people who actually think its going to be better lol That is never the case, if it looks better wait a bit and you will see a change in new phones introduced with much higher subsidies or some other bs change. In the end any commission change is never to your advantage, you would be very naive to believe anything else.

Feedback Score
    To answer the original question I have changed the commission structure in my store. We have set commissions per phone which average about 8% of gp but can be less on lets say a 64gb iphone 5 compared to 16gb iphone 5 since you have to consider the CC fees of about 3% off the extra $200 being charged. Every few weeks we always concentrate on a few devices which im sure everyone else does, currently I got a really good deal on incredible 4g so guess what, HUGE commissions on those right now. Also $5 bonus on new smartphone and mbb lines.

I moved my accessory commissions up to 12.5% GP from 10% to motivate accessory sales more. If I am charged back my reps will get triple their commission chargeback to deter making bad sales/choices. In addition we have set goals per month for the store overall with tiered bonuses that range from $50 up to $300 more a month but the $300 isnt really attainable but sure does look good posted up on the wall and I wish they would hit that number, id be more then happy to pay it out.

Starting reps make $8 an hour if I have to train, $9 an hour if they have experience. My more reliable fulltime guys have a set salary of $2000 a month plus commission. I dont have a set store manager since I take care of most of the duties, am considering a fulltime assistant manager/manager and will be in the $2400 a month plus commission range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast