Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Belle worth it?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score

Is Belle worth it?

I've been seeing a lot of complaining about Belle, steep learning curve, missing home screen functions, losing stuff during the update and having to re-install, etc. So is it worth upgrade?

I also have some specific questions.
    Does the music player display lyrics (like the 5800)?

Does the music player have an EQ for manual adjustment and creating custom presets (also available on the old 5800)?

Those 2 missing features erk me to no end (mainy the missing EQ)! If they put them back, that alone would make it worthwhile for me.

I've read that camera quality may be slightly less, but battery life is slighly better. Any other performance differences (RF, WiFi reception, audio quality, etc.)?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In that/your case, Belle is not worth it.
    no custom EQ
    no lyric display

Device(s)
    Sony Z3 (D6616)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    the battery life is a whole lot better, not just slightly lol the learning curve isn't that bad. if you've every played around with any other phone, it's like the same thing. the only thing that i find hard is figuring out what i want on my homescreen and how many home screens to make.

that and the camera has small issues.

but like you i wish for an manual eq adjustment. the music player does have better UI. you can actually push repeat or shuffled without going to the stupid menu.

the phone is just better imo. just a few issues they need to work out that i can live with

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xivera1003 View Post
    In that/your case, Belle is not worth it.
    no custom EQ
    no lyric display
    That's disappointing.

I can't believe they took the custom EQ out of the music player on the newer devices. It's such a vital feature! But since my N8 never had it, I guess I can live with it (as I have been).

Thanks for the info!

@ sillieidiot,
    Thanks for the additional info! Better battery life makes it tempting. Although I get pretty good run time on Anna. Unless I'm tethering with Joikuspot. Or, especially when running Symtorrent (yikes!). It's a little scary how hot the phone gets when downloading torrents.

Anyone else have anything to add about their experience with Belle vs Anna or (S^3)?

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT+T
    Feedback Score
    I never reply negatively because nothing is perfect, but (i know you wont believe) I put the sim back into my N97 !!
    Unless i had a bad download, Im not happy with the anna>belle update. I use Mobbler/Slacker all the time..not belle compatable, The Joikuspot light arrangement is so different, you have to activate wifi on, then start the app, then you cant take a phone call, the differentiating factor of symbian, doing 5 things at once, gone. Not happy. You could edit music files on s60V5, not with N8, yuck. I cant get through a day anymore with battery and lastly, I never had these freezing issues at all. I have to hold the power button for 15 seconds every two days to dump. Yuck, I hear so many great things from everyone, but I failed to read that S60v5 apps I had on my 5800 then N97 pretty much worked with the symbian V3 orig firmware and then Anna ..some DO NOT work with Belle. Here's what I didnt add-up...the developers aren't cranking anything for symbian (or if they are, not seeing anything)..Wish I stayed with Anna. Please dont start the mudslinging because I am only one user not happy. My phone use needs are mine and are not belle compatable.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It's good to know. You'd think from hearing from people on MyNokiaBlog that Belle is the best thing since sliced bread, but obviously they're just as blinded as iSheep.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT+T
    Feedback Score
    Migo, I think all the hype is because the belle 'feel' is droid-like. Dont know because Ive been with nokia for quite a few years , but ill switch to android gingerbread for a while and test the waters. The whole backwards-compatable functionality that kept some of the same apps/function since 5800 gets a whole new take with belle. Even my ramblow app is super weird on belle.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    That, and it's also something new so they can pretend the previous problems don't exist anymore. Same as a Mac user - their solution to any Mac problem is to buy the newest Mac. Seems that Symbian users figure buying a new phone or getting a software update will cure what ails them.

Sent from my Lumia 710 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tinleyiltom View Post
    I never reply negatively because nothing is perfect, but (i know you wont believe) I put the sim back into my N97 !!
    Unless i had a bad download, Im not happy with the anna>belle update. I use Mobbler/Slacker all the time..not belle compatable, The Joikuspot light arrangement is so different, you have to activate wifi on, then start the app, then you cant take a phone call, the differentiating factor of symbian, doing 5 things at once, gone. Not happy. You could edit music files on s60V5, not with N8, yuck. I cant get through a day anymore with battery and lastly, I never had these freezing issues at all. I have to hold the power button for 15 seconds every two days to dump. Yuck, I hear so many great things from everyone, but I failed to read that S60v5 apps I had on my 5800 then N97 pretty much worked with the symbian V3 orig firmware and then Anna ..some DO NOT work with Belle. Here's what I didnt add-up...the developers aren't cranking anything for symbian (or if they are, not seeing anything)..Wish I stayed with Anna. Please dont start the mudslinging because I am only one user not happy. My phone use needs are mine and are not belle compatable.
    If you want Mobbler to work, you have to download the file from http://code.google.com/p/mobbler/ as it isn't available on the Nokiat Store. It was the first thing I installed on my N8 after the Belle update, and it works just as good as ever.
    I want to buy your Nokia E7.

HoFo Feedback (9+, 0-)

Feedback Score
    Somethings get better some worst.

I found that after updating to anna and then to belle that both times I had to wipe everything and start new to get decent battery life.

Personally I am happier in Belle because of the interactive widgets. All the nokia widgets look so nice and up to date vs all of the other apps widgets that I won't use anymore because they look\function so outdated, I only use the nokia ones. I don't think anyone has come out with a modern widget besides nokia as of now.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tinleyiltom View Post
    Migo, I think all the hype is because the belle 'feel' is droid-like...
    That's what's really annoying me about Symbian. Nokia is trying to turn it into another OS, but they can't decide between IOS or Andriod. Personally I bought into Symbian because I liked... Symbian! Shocking, I know!

Going from a 5800 to an N8 I lost 2 buttons. The 5800 had 3 hardware phone buttons, while the N8 has the lame iPhone-esque single button. Not an upgrade IMO. I also liked the unique icons, but after Anna we got iPhone-like icons that are vague and all too similar looking. My GF grabbed my phone to use the calculator and couldn't figure out which icon it was.

Now Belle has a zillion home screens like Android. I haven't upgraded to Belle yet, so I don't know how I'll feel about that. I suppose if I don't lose any more functionality it'll be okay, but so far it seems that each "upgrade" losses more and more functionality in a quest to turn Symbian into something less useful.

I've used IOS and Android, and I still prefer Symbian. My reasons for disliking IOS are far too many to get into now, and Android just seems incomplete. So much basic functionality, like file management and seamless integration of external memory sources is either missing or kludged. Oh, and no support for Ad-Hock network connections! WTF is up with that?! [sigh] Well, at least Bluetooth works with Android. LOL!

It's too bad Nokia doesn't allow software downgrades, so if you dislike the "upgrade" you could go back.

As much as I miss some of the functionality of my venerable 5800XM, going back is not an option, because even with its faults, the N8 still has far more right than wrong. The build quality, amazing screen, awesome camera, GPU, media compatibility, HDMI, USB-on-the-go, 16GB mass memory + Micro-SD expandability (that works seamlessly out of the box), etc.

Sorry... [/rant off]

Thanks to those who have responded so far.

Still undecided on Belle. Additional input and experiences appreciated.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    lets put it this way. Elop put all his chips on Windows for a good reason.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    To finally put Nokia out of its misery?

I thought most believed that Windows Phone was a boneheaded move.

And what does that have to do with my questions about Belle?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about lyrics, but I think one of the custom firmwares restores the equalizer in the music player.
    Homescreen wise, I've gone from two in Anna to three in Belle. I like the larger widgets.
    For the menu, I don't mind the round icons. I love having an A-Z list view. The app search is useful sometimes.

It sounds like you should keep Anna on your N8 and get an 808 for Belle

Feedback Score
    One thing that does suck is apps. There are less now.

After upgrading I can no longer find in the nokia store games like
    galaxy something (came with stock anna for free)
    original NFS that originally came with N8
    The only hockey game is now gone (I paid like 3$ for it and never got to play it)

Also often when upgrading you loose saved game information so all the hours I had on some game loft RGP is gone. I wish there was a way to back up saved games or save online...

I also lost a few non game apps like
    the weather network (the only real weather app IMO even though it looked ultra shtty)
    weather wrc
    fast panel

Probably more...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast