Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID 4 XT894 Release Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    ... the only time the on-screen nav buttons completely disappear, or 'hide', is for a video with the same aspect ratio as the display.
    Quick note--1.77:1 (i.e. 16:9) is the aspect ratio for HDTV, so there is/will be a significant amount of content with this aspect ratio. (e.g. pretty much any TV series shot in the last few years.)

Personally, I'm also not sure that the typical theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 would leave enough extra room on the bottom of the screen for the control buttons unless the image was moved to the top of the screen (instead of centered--with letterboxing both above and below--which is typically the case).

I think 2.35/2.39:1 should work, tho - Mark

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Really the point was that video is a relatively small subset of what people do with smartphones -- "and for everything else there's . . ." nav buttons in the way.

The implication is that -- for pretty much everything but video -- the size (for purposes of comparison) of a display with on-screen nav buttons is reduced and is *effectively* smaller than a display of the same *physical* size on a device with physical nav buttons.

For example, the Droid 4 has a 4" display with physical nav buttons but is *effectively* as big as the new 4.3" Photon Q because the Photon uses some of that screen space for nav buttons. Or take the SGSIII at 4.8" with physical buttons. If the RAZR HD display is to be functionally that large it will need, at least, a 5" display to make up for the space occupied by its on-screen nav buttons.

A user-option auto-hide function for the nav buttons that worked for *all* apps all the time (and not just for the rare case of viewing videos at the exact same aspect ratio as the display) so that the user is never able to see any part of them except when, perhaps via a gesture, he requests to see them, would mostly negate that effective shrinkage of all displays with on-screen nav buttons.

Unfortunately, so far there is no "Setting" for such an 'auto-hide the nav buttons' option.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 07-31-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (now)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Photon Q is actually what the Droid 4 should have been to entice users.

-4.3" ColorBoost screen (which is highly regarded) probably makes the D4 pentile matrix screen look horrible.
    -1.5 Ghz Dual Core S4 Processor probably outperforms the Droid 4's TI 1.2 Ghz Dual Core Processor

Those 2 things alone, make it quite a bit nicer than the Droid 4. I wonder if Motorola will release something similar/better near the holidays for Verizon.
    A phone is only fun when you can modify it anyway you please.

The Verizon UI....unhackable? I think not

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Roger that -- except that the virtual buttons gobble up the display size increase. When it switched to on-screen buttons Moto needed to go a bit extra, say 4.5", if it also wanted an effective increase in useful screen size.

I'm still, vainly I suppose, hoping for a D4G MAXX HD. Vzw did promise a global-enabled D4 . . .

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    soak test beginning soon. about time for ics.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    And GSM global radio activation, too, as promised. . . ?

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, as I have said several times before, all of the ICS builds for Razr and D4 have global capability by default.

The Bionic also can be enabled but is not on the official list of devices, so the leaked ICS builds for that phone do not include the RF_BC_BAND_CONFIG_I edit by default.

They do NOT allow use on domestic US GSM carriers and have that blocked by a separate mechanism from the band configuration.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I was aware that you had hacked those GSM radios some months ago. I somehow missed the word that the vzw issued ICS OTAs would officially enable the global feature on those unrooted stock ROM handsets. Six months later is still way better than never.

So, are there separate GSM and LTE sim cards? How does that work physically in the cellphone for global 4g use?

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you're itching to get some of that ice creamy goodness (sucks to have to say that now that Jelly Bean has already been released to the world) without any sort of hackery, the wait may be coming to an end...

Link

Feedback Score
    I just hope this solves the LTE connection issue. My 4G icon is white more than blue nowadays.

Mark

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Anybody wanna put up odds as to whether the D4 will *ever* get a vzw JB OTA?

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We already have the full XML.zip of fastboot images for the new XT894 6.16.217 ICS release, so we are safe to be able to flash and mod at will now. This is great news and will ease any transitional problems that users may have had who have used interim leaked builds and/or custom ROMs.

I think the D4 will be very likely to get a JB update, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for it.
    This is a good,solid release and should make many users happy as it is a significant improvement in overall device usability and enjoyment.

Then again, you seem to take every opportunity to cast this phone in a poor light, so have at it!

BTW, I am running the leaked JB official build for the Xoom and its also very stable and should drop soon, so I would give Moto pretty decent marks for continued support of both legacy and unprofitable devices late into their life cycle.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Guilty. Yes, the D4 mightily disappointed me because I very much wanted the phone it should -- and could -- have been last November. But having the the freedom to move back to full stock at will is "great news". With this I could now genuinely consider a used D4 vs. a Rezound. Keyboard v. unlocked bootloader, hmm . . . ?

I had seen posts that the vzw LTE Xoom would not be getting 'official' JellyBean?

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-14-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

This build was leaked as a nandroid backup by someone who got it directly from Motorola.

It is a release keys build, and he said it was the final build and should be seen soon.

Oh, I just glanced at uptime...170+ hours...I will go ahead and call it stable.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Anybody wanna put up odds as to whether the D4 will *ever* get a vzw JB OTA?
    You mean it wouldn't, even if RAZR and RAZR MAXX do?

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast