Thread: GingerSteem Extreme for LG Esteem MS910

Device(s)
    They ask this question 4 times, and then ask it again.
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

GingerSteem Extreme for LG Esteem MS910

I didn't think any developers would make custom roms for MetroPCS phones, but we're finally getting some love.

First, the credits:
    • Developer: mtmichaelson - GingerSteem - Please dont forget to toss mt some cheddar too if you donating for this.
    • Developer: PlayfulGod - GingerSteem Extreme
    • and I know there are a lot of other people to thank (like the guy who did the zergling root), and a bunch of devs along the way. Sorry if I missed you.

My comments:
    - It took me about 25 minutes to read through and get this rom on my phone.
    - I have purchased "LG Esteem Optimizer" on the Android market and this custom rom is SooOoOo much better.
    - I kind of cringed when I heard my phone say "Droid" because I do like MetroPCS, and I hate the term "Droid," but I'm getting used to it.
    - I LOVE how fast it is. Not sure about how the battery life is yet, but I'll post replies when I get a better feel for it.
    - I REALLY like how it has the "tv-turning-off" animation when you power off the screen.
    - So far, I LOVE MY PHONE! It's definitely faster than when I first unboxed it.

WARNING: Proceed at your own risk. You might brick your phone.

Ok, it's pretty easy to get it all set up.

Name:  200px-Gse1.png
Views: 9219
Size:  101.9 KB

Downloads:
    1) Root & Recovery Mod:
    You need a recovery mod so that you can backup/install other roms. We have 2 for the LG Esteem.

ClockWorkMod & RaidZeroMod. Pick one or the other, I chose Clockwork since the name is more familiar, but either should be fine.

Clockworkmod
    Raidzeromod

2) GingerSteem Extreme for LG Esteem MS910
    Highlights include:
    • Removal of bloatware
    • Plague Kernal / Overclocked (up to 2GHz, although most people are stable at 1.7-1.8)
    • Battery & Speed tweaks
    • Much faster boot / Moto Razr intro
    • ADW Launcher
    • GingerFusion Theme (pretty cool actually)
    GingerSteem_Extreme_signed.zip
    Copy this to your external SD card (or internal memory card).

Getting Root & Installing Recovery Mod:
    1A) Unzip the downloaded file to your computer.
    1B) Update your LG Drivers if you haven't already
    1C) Connect your phone to your desktop (Internet Connection mode)
    1D) Run the batch file intended for your OS. A DOS prompt will open. Press enter, zergling root, install cwm/rzr mod. . . . .
    1E) Your phone will reboot.
    note: if you already have your phone rooted, but do not have a recovery mod, just run the batch anyways.

Now you're rooted and you have a recovery rom installed.

Installing the Custom Rom:
    note: you will lose all your apps, messages, contacts, etc. if you need to back them up, go ahead and do so. If you have a gmail set up, your contacts should be saved, but yea, this is your responsibility, not mine.
    2A) Power off your phone.
    2B) Hold down volume UP and DOWN and POWER buttons. Keep holding down the VOLUME buttons when it vibrates and let go of the POWER button. It'll ask if you want to wipe/reset. Press power 3 times. If you installed ClockWork or RaidZero, it won't reset/wipe your data. It'll take you to the recovery menu.
    2C) At the recovery menu: Make a BACKUP! Just in case. This part could take awhile.
    2D) Wipe Data!
    2E) Install zip from sdcard.
    2F) Choose GingerSteem_Extrmeme_signed.zip
    2G) Reboot! Done!
    note: to block carrier logging, you need to reboot after initial reboot whatever that means.

Original Posts:
    If you want the full instructions:
    or
    If you'd like to donate to the developers:

http://androidforums.com/roms-playfu...eem-ms910.html
    http://androidforums.com/esteem-all-...eem-ms910.html

I'll update with any new findings or anything else that I want to follow up on. Since I wiped all my apps, I need to install all of them and see if the phone is still quick.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Well, I installed about 20 or so apps I use and there isn't a sign of slow down.

It really feels like a new device altogether.

Still loving that screen-off animation, I like the new unlock screen too. I really didn't like how how had to swipe so far just to unlock it. Powering on the device is SOOO much faster.

Not sure if other Esteem users had these problems but for me, this custom rom FIXED:
    1) Stuck at screen-lock screen. I would have to turn the screen off, on, and then slide to unlock.
    2) Random restart. It's only been 3 hours, but I'm knocking on wood. So far no random restarts.
    3) It took almost 2 minutes to power on before, and now it's cut down to around 40 seconds.
    4) Battery indicator not accurate. This mod included something to get a better battery reading. Sometimes it would say it's a full charge when I know it couldn't have a full charge from being at zero. I had no idea how to fix it, but finally it's taking 3-4 hours for a full charge instead of saying it's full after 1.5 hours of charging. I know it doesn't sound like it's something to be excited about, but I'm pretty sure that my battery will hold it's charge longer instead seemingly draining faster since it's really at 100% instead of just saying 100%.
    6) Noticeable overall lag. Sometimes I used to wonder how this 2nd-gen Snapdragon processor was just so slow, and thinking I'm going to have to already upgrade to a dual-core. No need to upgrade anymore! With this rom, overclock, and all the nice tweaks, the LG Esteem is finally as snappy as one would expect a smartphone to be. I wouldn't be surprised if this phone with this custom rom is at par with the upcoming dual-cores with metro-bloatware.

Would like to know how others are enjoying this.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo [Afflicted Evo 2.3.3]
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    There's a thread about it already in the Android lounge.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Code Name: L0GiC4L 3ViL
    Quote: "Make love not war... Contribute dont leech.My insane logic gets the job done..."
    Latest Exploits:
    evo full flash (yes mms works), samsung intercept web (ask around), moto droid full flash
    Next Hijack: AFFLICTION ROM

11/4 3000th post

Device(s)
    All of the above, & a MagicJack too.
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Be interesting to see how your battery life is now
    Remember, where ever you go, there you are.http://www.howardforums.com/images/smilies/saaad.gif
    The future is only a past that has yet to be in the present, which was a future in the past.
    http://www.howardforums.com/images/s...llo.gif:micro:

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobstercat View Post
    Be interesting to see how your battery life is now
    I was very curious myself so I tried my best to keep track of my usage and battery level:

Here are my experiences so far.

FYI, I also use Juice Defender Pro at Aggressive setting, SetCPU at 384MHz min 1.8GHz max, brightness 37%, GPS/Wifi/Bluetooth is usually always off unless I'm getting directions, and I'm almost always on 4G data (except when Juice Defender turns off data when my screen is off). Regular stock battery. Also, I have a good habit of using the Application Manager widget to close tasks that I don't use.

Small sample of battery life during a call:
    Yesterday, I noticed that a 35 minute phone conversation (wired headset) used about 7% of battery. I probably could've gotten more, but I have this habit of turning on my screen and swiping back and forth on my home screens when I'm on the phone and am bored or thinking about something.

First 4 hours of light use:
    If you've noticed, the status bar battery indicator isn't just an icon, it's a percentage. I was at 100% when I woke up, 4 hours later of mostly standby (I didn't use the phone much, just downloaded Adobe Flash 11 and watched a 4 minute 480p youtube video through the browser, and checked facebook for about 3 minutes), the battery was at 88%. I'm quite pleased by the standby time alone. Prior to the rom change, I would lose close to 10% an hour on standby.

45 minutes of music: (6% usage)
    I use PowerAmp as my music player, and the screen is only on when I'm skipping to a different song. I'm using headphones. 45 minutes later, 82%

About an 40 minutes of standby: (3% usage)
    Only usage was one phone calls totaling 2 minutes of talk-time. 79%

35 minutes of active use: (14% usage)
    Spent around 8 minutes configuring Juice Defender: but ended up just keeping my original settings.
    27 minutes of Samurai II: Vengeance (dual-touch 3d game). 35 minutes later: 65%
    note: although I wasn't using the web, I think the data was still on.

20 minutes of active use using web: (8% usage)
    5 minutes Facebook, 10 minutes Youtube, 5 minutes figuring out how to get used to google voice commands. 57%

1 hour 20 minutes of standyby: (9% usage)
    No use at all except to check the time or something. 48%
    note: I noticed that I left my Juice Defender settings on "customize" instead of "aggressive." 7% per hour is better than stock, but I was getting better standby battery usage before so I changed it back to aggressive and changed it so that data turns on after I unlock the screen, not just as soon as the screen turns on.

25 minutes of standby + 3 minute phone call: (2% usage)
    I called my congresswoman to let request that she vote against SOPA. You guys should too! 46%
    https://wfc2.wiredforchange.com/o/90...ction_KEY=8173

22 minutes of phone-calls (18min+1min+3min): (8% usage)
    3 phone calls. This seems inconsistent with the call I made yesterday. I'm wondering if it has something to do with using the headset. 38%

I thought this was a decent amount of data to get somewhat of a feel for the battery-life.

Total:

27 min talk-time (10%)
    45 min of music (6%)
    45 min of apps usage (15%)
    20 min of web/youtube usage (8%)
    6 hour 20 min standyby (23%)

Application Battery Use: (since I used only 62% of my battery, in parenthesis is the weighted battery use).
    Android System: 77% (47% of battery)
    Samurai II: 14% (8.7%)
    Cell Standby: 6% (3.7%)
    Phone Idle: 3% (1.9%)
    Voice Calls: 2% (1.2%)

8 hours 37 minutes total. Apparently the facebook app, youtube, juice defender, browser are all part of android system. I'm guessing the android system is being used during the calls and idle/standby times.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the battery life.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I'm still very excited about this rom.

I took some Benchmarks:

Antutu:
    Name:  ScreenShot.png
Views: 8595
Size:  89.1 KBName:  ScreenShot_1.png
Views: 8636
Size:  92.1 KB

It outright beats the Nexus S, and it's comparable to an HTC EVO 3D! That's a dual-core 1.2GHz phone! HAH! I told you this sucker is fast. At 1.9GHz It beats a stock EVO 3D:
    Name:  ScreenShot_2.png
Views: 8464
Size:  88.9 KBName:  ScreenShot_3.png
Views: 8598
Size:  90.8 KB

Quadrant:
    This is a bit of a weaker outdated benchmark app, but here's the score:

Name:  ScreenShot_4.png
Views: 8922
Size:  50.9 KB

I'm too lazy to unroot/factory reset the phone. Can someone with a stock LG Esteem please download Antutu Benchmark and/or Quadrant Benchmark from the Android Market and compare results?

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    i was gonna ask i dont know if it was you or some1 else that mentioned the battery indicator not being accurate? that to me is a priority especially now that i have my extendd battery on it.

edit: i guess it was you i just read above lol

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note8
    Carrier(s)
    metroPCS
    Feedback Score
    so fixed the rebooting? hmmm i might take the dive..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zty View Post
    i was gonna ask i dont know if it was you or some1 else that mentioned the battery indicator not being accurate? that to me is a priority especially now that i have my extendd battery on it.

edit: i guess it was you i just read above lol
    I'm not sure if this rom will fix the battery indicator accuracy for extended batteries. Did you have the accuracy problem before the extended battery? For me, I noticed that even though it said 100%, it really wasn't. Also, it would say 45%, and after a reboot, it would drop down to it's actual 25% level, or sometimes it would say 30%, and it would shut off and I wouldn't be able to turn it back on (since it was actually 0%). Anyways, so far, I'm not getting that issue with this phone anymore.

Also, have you tried Juice Defender? It's great. There's a free version which is all you need really. Try the "aggressive" setting. It doesn't require root and it really does work.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaH22a View Post
    so fixed the rebooting? hmmm i might take the dive..
    I spoke too soon. In the past 2.5 days, it rebooted on it's own once (that I know of), which is still an improvement because I would get 2-5 reboots a day before. Also, I didn't mind it rebooting on me since it reboots so much faster now (around 40 seconds as opposed to 1.5 minutes).

Can anyone run the benchmark on a stock Esteem? Download Antutu Benchmark from the market (free).

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    no i meant i read your post about battery indicator not being accurate sometimes and before i installed this rom my battery indicator was pretty accurate now i guess since im seeing actual percentage instead of a full bar i get paranoid a lil lol but no biggie. anyways were you overclocking it when it rebooted or did you leave it at stock?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zty View Post
    no i meant i read your post about battery indicator not being accurate sometimes and before i installed this rom my battery indicator was pretty accurate now i guess since im seeing actual percentage instead of a full bar i get paranoid a lil lol but no biggie. anyways were you overclocking it when it rebooted or did you leave it at stock?
    Oh, for me it's the complete opposite. Not knowing if my phone was at 70% or 50% would get me paranoid, so I had to download a widget that showed the percentage.

No, I didn't overclock before. It was stock. Then I installed LG Esteem Optimizer which did improve performance by 10-20% but still had reboot issues. With this rom, I believe that the battery life is slightly better despite being overclocked because the phone is undervolted. What are your experiences like with this rom and the extended battery?

Device(s)
    LG MS910
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Link is dead.... Have been trying to get this ROM to no avail.
    The real Esteem:

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    old thread and this rom is from androidforums.com and so is the dev that compiled it.

Heres the direct link to their lg esteem subforum

http://androidforums.com/esteem-all-...eem-ms910.html
    Musician and Producer at chosen-1-records check out some of my work @ http://soundcloud.com/chosen-1-records

Device(s)
    LG MS910
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. I knew about android forums... as well as XDA where he hangs out frequently....or posts a lot. Both of his sites are down and the only links to the ROM is to those sites. Playfuldroidz and unleashedprepaids. Not sure what is going on but haven't been able to got there and haven't been able to find anyone who has an alternate link for this rom.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakybastard View Post
    Yeah. I knew about android forums... as well as XDA where he hangs out frequently....or posts a lot. Both of his sites are down and the only links to the ROM is to those sites. Playfuldroidz and unleashedprepaids. Not sure what is going on but haven't been able to got there and haven't been able to find anyone who has an alternate link for this rom.
    Hi, if you have a LG Esteem MS910, I suggest you go to:
    http://androidforums.com/esteem-all-things-root/

The GingerSteem Extreme rom is a bit outdated, but that forum is still developing from this rom, and to newer things.

You can find the most information about rooted Esteems at this forum.

The rom that is probably the most up-to-date is LDrifta's Number 2 rom. The rom actually stems from the GingerSteem Extreme and other updates/mods/etc.

I actually still use my Esteem and it's been a great phone. Hope you enjoy your phone as much.