Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sprint network in Kansas/Oklahoma

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Nothing is supposed to change until March 1 here, so we will see what happens on that date.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Nothing is supposed to change until March 1 here, so we will see what happens on that date.
    Does your phone say Sprint or Roaming or what?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    Attachment 78228

According to the notice, on March 1 it will switch to the circle, triangle, etc, whatever your particular phone model shows to indicate roaming.

Device(s)
    Motorola Timeport P8167 (IS-95A)
    Feedback Score
    For CDMA/CDMA1X airlink tech on IS-41 underlying network tech, the PRL controls roaming behavior. It dictates which networks the device can access in what priority and how those networks are indicated as native or roaming coverage.

Right now, ggore's handset displays Sprint/Pioneer SID 00324 NID 00000 and SID 00324 NID 65535 coverage as Sprint native coverage because that is how those SID/NID pairs are marked in the PRL. See "Roaming Ind:Native" in the interpreted PRL excerpt below:

Code:
    SID: 324/0 - Pioneer Cellular - ENID OK - Priority: More - Roaming Ind:Native
    1X Scan: CLR/Both CLR/Both
    EV Scan: Pioneer Cellular - 0080:5100(More) - PCS/475 PCS/525 CLR/425

SID: 324 - Pioneer Cellular - ENID OK - Priority: More - Roaming Ind:Native
    1X Scan: PCS/425 PCS/550 PCS/925 PCS/225
    By March 1, Sprint will push out a new PRL to ggore's iPhone that will change the roaming indicator for those two SID/NID pairs to align with Pioneer SID 00324 NID 00005, which is Pioneer's own Cellular 850 MHz coverage and used to be marked as Sprint native but has since been switched to roaming: "Roaming Indomestic." See the current Pioneer roaming SID/NID pair below:

Code:
    SID: 324/5 - Pioneer Cellular - ENID OK - Priority: More - Roaming Ind:Domestic
    1X Scan: CLR/Both CLR/Both
    http://www.batonrougebroadband.info/Sprint_60683.txt

AJ

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Good info as always, AJ. What happens if after Sprint pushes out their new post-March 1 PRL, one were to simply roll back to pre-March 1 PRL, which is usually quite easy to do on an Android phone?
    Thrill me...

Device(s)
    Motorola Timeport P8167 (IS-95A)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    Good info as always, AJ. What happens if after Sprint pushes out their new post-March 1 PRL, one were to simply roll back to pre-March 1 PRL, which is usually quite easy to do on an Android phone?
    Yes, good question, one that I thought someone might ask.

Keep in mind that the handset PRL roaming indicator and the backend billing system are wholly separate. The PRL roaming indicator controls only how networks are displayed on the device, not how those networks are billed.

For example, I have a few VZW, former Alltel, and USCC PRLs stored on the microSD card in my Android handset, on which I have also downgraded to an older, user accessible EPST.apk. So, I can side load one of those PRLs if ever I need EV-DO roaming on VZW or USCC. Now, no matter what my handset displays when using a foreign PRL, the Sprint billing system still records that usage on VZW or USCC as roaming. Hence, I always stay well, well below the 300 MB data roaming limit.

Thus, if one were to side load an older PRL after March 1 or somehow dodge the Sprint PRL push, yes, the handset would continue to display the two previously noted Pioneer SID/NID pairs as Sprint native coverage (and would continue to include EV-DO access, if that is removed in the new PRL). But that would be no "get out of jail free card," as the Sprint billing system would still record all Pioneer usage as roaming, subject to the usual roaming limitations.

AJ

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I guess all this means that on March 1 I will have a 3-month old Sprint iPhone 4S for sale (Any takers?) and be looking for a new carrier. Since Pioneer does not sell the iPhone, I wonder if Verizon will sell me an iPhone to use here while roaming on Pioneer's system 100% of the time? Will I be jumping from one frying pan into another?

Those are the only two choices of carrier available here since this is an AT&T dead spot. T-Mobile is available, but they roam on CellularOne's system, and Pioneer has bought CellularOne, sale to be completed this spring. T-Mobile is evidently doing the same with CellularOne as Sprint was with Pioneer, as T-Mobile's website shows this as native coverage, but if you put a T-Mobile SIM into an unlocked iPhone 4 it will show up with the little circle icon next to the T-Mobile logo, which indicates roaming.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The little circle next to the carrier name doesn't mean roaming on GSM, it indicates GPRS which is slower than edge.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bpaulson View Post
    The little circle next to the carrier name doesn't mean roaming on GSM, it indicates GPRS which is slower than edge.
    Thanks for the info. I have a Sprint iPhone, so it will show whatever symbol it does to indicate roaming, which is what Sprint customers will be doing 100% of the time after March 1

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I have a Sprint iPhone, so it will show whatever symbol it does to indicate roaming, which is what Sprint customers will be doing 100% of the time after March 1
    The circle on the Verizon iPhone means 1X if I am not mistaken.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    These screen caps are within my home town, a place of supposed strength for Verizon. Ugh. Why do all cellular providers here have to suck?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    I forgot the best one... Guess which system ID this is from, and which provider it is from.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I guess all this means that on March 1 I will have a 3-month old Sprint iPhone 4S for sale (Any takers?) and be looking for a new carrier. Since Pioneer does not sell the iPhone, I wonder if Verizon will sell me an iPhone to use here while roaming on Pioneer's system 100% of the time? Will I be jumping from one frying pan into another?
    Verizon could care less if you roam all the time. I know LOTS of people in Alaska and Kentucky who have Verizon but roam all the time and never have a problem.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Verizon could care less if you roam all the time. I know LOTS of people in Alaska and Kentucky who have Verizon but roam all the time and never have a problem.
    That's good to know, because I plan to switch to Verizon. Pioneer is a local company and they have a great system with absolutely perfect coverage everywhere, and high speed data, but they don't offer the iPhone and that's a no-go for me. Their flagship smartphones right now are the Motorola Milestone and Samsung Showcase, phones from 2009 for heaven's sake!

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Or if you see my field test mode screens, Southern Illinois. Another site where I hit ATN 3G roaming in the Southern Illinois market is the new Carterville High School. Three bars of ATN, none of Verizon. Especially weird since most of the people in the new gym there had VZW phones. Apparently Alltel bleeding customers is not limited to Chester or the other fringe areas of the CMA. Even still, the Alltel speeds were only about 1/2 of what I would get on Verizon EV-DO.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast