Thread: LTE mifi with wifi storage?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

LTE mifi with wifi storage?

Verizon is getting ready to release an LTE wifi storage mifi...

http://mashable.com/2012/01/10/veriz...orage-seagate/

I don't, see the point of it with Verizon's nickel and diming schemes. I like Verizon's service and I'm a Verizon customer, but there's no way I would buy this with Verizon's current pricing models for 4G LTE service. Yeah you can store 300 HD movies on it but after you watch 1.3 movies using the device, you have to pay overage fees as you've gone over your data allowance and you can forget about doing anything else. In an ideal situation where Verizon has enough LTE switches turned on to not have to worry about (too much) tower congestion and offer unlimited LTE data, it would be okay, but until that happens (if it ever does, which is doubtful) they're just urinating in the wind. It can be taken one of two ways: Either Verizon is putting out this product with the current LTE pricing models to intentionally nickel and dime people, or they're serious about innovation and offering extremely useful products for their customers. I'd guess that it's a combination of both.

If Verizon offered unlimited LTE data, I'd get this on day one. But they don't. And to sell data hungry devices at premiums while limiting data forcing people to use wifi, then turn around and sell a wifi storage device while still having limits on the data use on it while boasting that it can hold up to 300 HD movies is absurd as far as I can see.

Verizon claims that 95% of it's customers don't use over 2 GB of data. These findings led them to limit data with tiered pricing schemes for data, it's biggest offering being 10 GB of data for 80 bucks. 300 HD movies to be stored on a wifi device sounds good, but if I watch over 2 of them in a month I have to pay overage charges?...that's not fair at all.

I like this product, I like Verizon and I'd want to see them excel. I just hope by the time this device is released that Verizon either gets a lot more generous with LTE pricing models and/or have their LTE network be robust enough to handle offering unlimited data again.

Verizon needs to be way more generous with data allowances. 80 dollars should get you at least 100 GB of data; let's be real, Verizon only went tiered to get more money (which is sad considering the state of the economy ), so if they get more money then what would the problem be with offering more data? Hey cable companies only charge you 50 dollars a month for 250 GB of data that doesn't block VOIP services and doesn't have voice lag on Xbox Live so what's the problem?

AT&T said they went to tiered data plans to relieve tower congestion. The intent was to get customers who use a lot of data to pay more and have customers who don't need a lot of data to be allowed to pay less, this is understandable and AT&T later put a lot of money into tower maintenance to help relieve congestion. Verizon stance on moving to tiered data was simply "if you want to use a lot of data you have to pay (more)."

Companies like Sprint had put Carrier IQ in phones in a pathetic attempt to learn the behaviors of their customers and supposedly use that data to "offer better services" when they could've just used common sense: If x tower is overloaded more than the other towers, you need to put one or more towers in the area depending on how often it gets overloaded and how bad it gets oveloaded...CIQ was just a smokescreen, who knows what they've been peeping at?

Sent from my Xperia PLAY using HowardForums
    Last edited by akhi216; 01-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think you've missed the point of this product completely. All this is, is a WiFi NAS, that is also a MiFi. Watching content stored on the hard drive isn't going to use any data allowance since it's through WiFi.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0 View Post
    I think you've missed the point of this product completely. All this is, is a WiFi NAS, that is also a MiFi. Watching content stored on the hard drive isn't going to use any data allowance since it's through WiFi.
    I get it now.

Sent from my Xperia PLAY using HowardForums