Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moving to US - best carrier / device?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just talked to a friend down there and I've been told Sprint is the worst where I'm going to be. Top that off with the fact that they don't offer any kind of package that would let me call back home to Canada and they're officially disqualified from the running.

The funny thing as I look at this is that Canadians have always complained about how expensive our cell services are... it turns out we're not as bad as we used to be! LOL, wow you plans are all so expensive down there... On the up side there's no long distance charges and you have some nice features that we're missing. Too bad tethering is so expensive... I have a feeling I'm going to miss my Canadian plan!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4real View Post
    Just talked to a friend down there and I've been told Sprint is the worst where I'm going to be. Top that off with the fact that they don't offer any kind of package that would let me call back home to Canada and they're officially disqualified from the running.

The funny thing as I look at this is that Canadians have always complained about how expensive our cell services are... it turns out we're not as bad as we used to be! LOL, wow you plans are all so expensive down there... On the up side there's no long distance charges and you have some nice features that we're missing. Too bad tethering is so expensive... I have a feeling I'm going to miss my Canadian plan!
    Speaking of tethering, if you are willing to pay for it, Verizon has unlimited hotspot for $20 a month, which also grants you unlimited data on your line. There is a thread on the Verizon forum about it. Neither AT&T or T-Mobile offer it. Check it out!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score
    @tmobiley, sounds like you get around a lot! So based on what you're saying it seems like prefer Sprint in my area (Volusia County), but you mainly talk about 3G. What's their 4G status? Would they be HSPA+ or LTE? (or nothing?). What about customer service etc? Since going with a cell company is more than just having the best coverage, it's also important to consider what kind of plans you can get and how likely they are to try to screw you or just generally piss you off when you have to deal with customer service... Look at me, sounding so negative. Maybe customer service for carriers down there isn't as bad as Canadia...
    I read in your latest thread that Sprint wouldn't work for you. If that is the case T-Mobile may be your best bet. Their CS has gotten worse, but slowly been improving again... although their coverage is not as expansive as Sprint's (or VZWs or at&ts for that matter in certain places) the quality of their network is much better than at&t and VZW - from my experience.

Calling back to Canada, your best bet might be using GoogleVoice - not sure if you all have that up in Canada, but google.com/voice - it's a nifty little tool we use here in America to call across the globe!

If you have any other questions let me know! Enjoy your time in Florida, too, anything non-cellular just give me a PM or post it!
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 10+, iPhone XR, iPhone 7, iPhone SE & Netgear Nighthawk LTE hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All I am gonna say, you love to pick the slowst. Here is 3G not HSPA+ in my area on my iphone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by LTE Fever View Post
    You probably should get your facts straight before using them to insult someone.

You also forget how AT&T has a large part of their network on EDGE and non-HSPA+ is about the same as Verizon EVDO. You forgot to mention how Verizon is rapidly deploying the fastest *4G* technology, while AT&T isn't. They are taking their damn sweet time.

And no AT&T isn't America's favorite anything, in fact they get the most public outcry about their horrible business and network decisions.

And PLEAE ENLIGHTEN US AS TO HOW THIS IS SO MUCH FASTER THAN VERIZON'S 4GLTE?? Because that was with a HSPA+ iPhone in an HSPA+ 4G area...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    All I am gonna say, you love to pick the slowst. Here is 3G not HSPA+ in my area on my iphone 4.
    You do realize that AT&T 3G is HSPA+, right?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    You do realize that AT&T 3G is HSPA+, right?
    The iPhone 4 does not support hspa+. Get your facts straight. Only the 4s.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone 4 does not support hspa+. Get your facts straight. Only the 4s.
    Correct, but any HSPA phone in a enhanced backhauled HSPA+ environment will perform better. Go to an area that has no enhanced back haul then run the test again. That shows how the "3G" network performs.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow you just keep back peddling. Lol. Tell anyone on the AT&T forum that and you will get nailed.

Feedback Score
    Wow you just keep back peddling. Lol. Tell anyone on the AT&T forum that and you will get nailed.
    Actually no, the only person who is getting *nailed* is you because you are constantly posting incorrect nonsense that nobody believes.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    While I see where you are coming from with the iP4 not supporting HSPA+, AT&T has clearly indicated where they believe "4G" speeds can be obtained. Even though your device does not support HSPA+, it can pull quicker data because you are in their "4G" area. Some may not agree with me on this, but if AT&T were proactive like Verizon, all their HSPA+ would be backhauled the same.

Oh, and I have yet to "back peddle". Nobody is trying to "nail" me because I back up everything I say with data. Try it sometime.

Feedback Score
    While I see where you are coming from with the iP4 not supporting HSPA+, AT&T has clearly indicated where they believe "4G" speeds can be obtained. Even though your device does not support HSPA+, it can pull quicker data because you are in their "4G" area. Some may not agree with me on this, but if AT&T were proactive like Verizon, all their HSPA+ would be backhauled the same.

Oh, and I have yet to "back peddle". Nobody is trying to "nail" me because I back up everything I say with data. Try it sometime.
    Yea and it wouldn't be so inconsistent like AT&T, like the huge portions of edge

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    How do you feel about T-Mobile? They definitely have the best plans for my needs, so if their coverage is decent it's looking like they'll be the way to go. Unless something big drops in CES this week I'm thinking Galaxy SII

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How do you feel about T-Mobile? They definitely have the best plans for my needs, so if their coverage is decent it's looking like they'll be the way to go. Unless something big drops in CES this week I'm thinking Galaxy SII
    When you have a solid T-Mob signal, I find it is great! Great call quality and data speeds too. The only problem is once you leave cities, you fall back to EDGE real quick! Have you checked out their online coverage maps? Orlando and Daytona have HSPA+ 21 enabled....Orlando may be 42. The only problem with T-Mob may be traveling while talking. It just depends on how the network is set up there in places you travel. The vast majority of T-Mob's network is EDGE - even more so than AT&T's - so data and voice may be a different story outside of the city. Like I said, try everyone out!

Feedback Score
    When you have a solid T-Mob signal, I find it is great! Great call quality and data speeds too. The only problem is once you leave cities, you fall back to EDGE real quick! Have you checked out their online coverage maps? Orlando and Daytona have HSPA+ 21 enabled....Orlando may be 42. The only problem with T-Mob may be traveling while talking. It just depends on how the network is set up there in places you travel. The vast majority of T-Mob's network is EDGE - even more so than AT&T's - so data and voice may be a different story outside of the city. Like I said, try everyone out!
    Another problem with T-Mobile is when traveling most of their network is still GPRS, not even EDGE so that stinks.

Sprint is good around Orlando, Verizon is good, and even AT&T is good. But like you said, its better to try them out and see before deciding anything.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Go with Verizon. They have a very strong future and take care of their network very well. Plus, if you leave your area you will have 3G, T-Mobile still have MANY GPRS only areas in the US. Yes, GPRS. Verizon is very strong in Florida, even more now that they purchased Alltel. They will have the whole state of Florida covered with LTE this year which can easily get speeds of 40+Mbps. Also, you can get unlimited data still with Verizon after you start your service up. You add the Unlimited Mobile Hotspot for 30.00, this will put you on a unlimited data plan, then you can take the Hotspot off if you wish, and your unlimited data stays with you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast