Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: Moving to US - best carrier / device?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Abilene
    Posts
    1,402
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 10+, iPhone XR, iPhone 7, iPhone SE & Netgear Nighthawk LTE hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I meant 3G. If you read my other topic. AT&T has 3G, 4G, 4G LTE. It has 3. Verizon has a slow 3G, and 4G LTE. AT&T has more 4G HSPA+ than Verizon does. And AT&T 3G is much faster than Verizons 3G anyways. So the 4G is a plus.

    You are the one people continue to correct like in the other topic. You continue to troll the other forum which people are getting sick of you. So seriously, you get the facts straight before posting.

    I have used all the providers, and have been here way longer than you pal. So learn from those who actually know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Are you seriously copying and pasting this same post in every thread to you go into? And who told you AT&T voice is not compressed?? How can you compare HSPA+ to LTE? You need to check your facts before posting. We have HSPA+ "4G" in my area and see 2-6mbps at night and far less than that during the day. Verizon is a ton faster here. You definitely seem like you prefer AT&T, which is perfectly fine, but you need to make sure you represent the facts from all sides. NO carrier is perfect and those who know what they are talking about can back up the claims they make. I have yet to see you do so. It seems you have an AT&T brochure in front of you. After calling me a fanboy the other day in another thread, I responded to you, explaining my position and you had nothing to say. I can only imagine why....

    To the OP: you posted this in the Verizon forum so I gave you the facts about Verizon. Try out any carrier you wish and see which works best. Overall, 98% of the time, AT&T HSPA+ is not and will not ever be on the same level as any LTE, and AT&T currently cannot build an LTE network as strong as Verizon in any of the places you travel because they only have 24mhz of 700 and no AWS spectrum at all (compared to Verizon's 54mhz of spectrum).

    I know voice/data wise, AT&T seems to perform pretty well in most parts of Florida. However, Florida is one of the many places AT&T is strapped for LTE spectrum. I have had no problems in Orlando and Daytona with Verizon. If you find AT&T performs better, go with them. If Verizon performs better (or they perform OK but you want LTE a lot quicker), go with Verizon. The point is you can try any carrier you want.

    EDIT:



    Are you SERIOUS?? Verizon's only form of 4G is LTE! Oh my God....hilarious! This guy....

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,582
    Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    And just what do you call slow? You do not provide any evidence for any of your conclusions?

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Abilene
    Posts
    1,402
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 10+, iPhone XR, iPhone 7, iPhone SE & Netgear Nighthawk LTE hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    And just what do you call slow? You do not provide any evidence for any of your conclusions?

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums
    Why do I have to present evidence when you can search that every single review between both carries has shown Verizon data is slow. It's part of CDMA. Sprint is the slowest of them all. There is a reason why people love AT&T 3G.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,914
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Att 3g consistently gives me just under 6 down which I couldn't get with vz. That's why I would choose att for 3g and vz for 4g.

    It also depends on location too so many variables to consider.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    America!
    Posts
    2,018
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score
    0

    Wink Welcome to the land of horses, citrus, and peaches!

    Quote Originally Posted by ru4real View Post
    I'll be moving to Florida - New Smyrna Beach specifically. I'll most likely be between there, Daytona and Orlando mostly.

    As for data usage - I currently have a 6GB plan in Canada, but I can barely reach 2GB on a heavy month. Maybe that'll change when I've got 4G? So I guess unlimited data sounds good in theory, but it doesn't seem to be so important as to be the basis of my final decision.

    Hello ru4real,

    I have lived in Central Florida for over two decades and I've had all four of the major characters during that time for both voice and data. I would say that Sprint has the most robust 3G coverage in Northern Florida and their voice network is very dependable. Second is T-Mobile; their network is not as large as Sprint but they are very reliable as well.

    If you do not plan on going to extremely remote locations either Sprint or T-Mobile would work great for you. Sprint does have an advantage currently because they have better roaming than T-Mobile both in The State of Florida and nationwide; but T-Mobile is about to sign a nationwide roaming agreement with at&t... so this may be changing.

    I do currently have Sprint for my personal line and T-Mobile for work. If you have any questions about either networks/companies, just let me know. If you have any specific locations - let me know, I most likely have been to them. Places I have covered extensively: Seminole County, Lake County, Volusia County, Brevard County, Osceola County, Polk County. I've also spent time in Flagler County, St. Johns County, Putnam County, Clay County, Bradford County, Union County, Marion County, Alachua County; as well as some time down south in: Levy County, Gilchrist County, Citrus County, Hernando County, Pasco County, Hardee County, Desoto County, Glades County, Highlands County, and Okeechobee County.

    Those areas include: Ocala, Gainesville, Newberry, Trenton, Williston, Crystal River, Bushnell, Palatka, Florahome, Interlachen, St. Augustine, Flagler Beach, Palm Coast, Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, New Symrna Beach, DeLand, Deltona, Debary, Sanford, Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Springs, Geneva, Christmas, Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Orlando Metro, Haines City, Davenport, Groveland, Mascotte, Lakeland, Winter Haven, Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Lake Wales, Frostproof, Sebring, Viera, Melbourne, Palm Bay, Titusville, Rockledge, Cocoa, Mount Dora, Claremont, Astor, Altoona, Paisley, Leesburg, Lady Lake, Taveres, and Eustis, and everywhere in between!

    I've also traveled up and down the eastern seaboard including: Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. I've also been to West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Out west I've visited Hawai'i, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.

    If you need any assistance, just let me know! Welcome to The Sunshine State!
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

    I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,980
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    I meant 3G. If you read my other topic. AT&T has 3G, 4G, 4G LTE. It has 3.
    Sorry, I wasn't aware I had to piece your posts together to get a coherent statement out of you.

    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    Verizon has a slow 3G, and 4G LTE.
    Verizon's EVDO may be slow in your area, but AT&T's HSPA+ in my area can't hold a candle to Verizon's EVDO 90% of the time. Read: networks perform differently everywhere!

    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    AT&T has more 4G HSPA+ than Verizon does.
    What? This makes no sense! Hey pal, Verizon has zero HSPA+

    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    And AT&T 3G is much faster than Verizons 3G anyways. So the 4G is a plus.
    Tell that to the ~50 percent of the nation where AT&T has only EDGE. At least Verizon finishes one project before staring another. AT&T is always playing catch up because they don't know how to run a mobile network to save their life. AT&T may have a faster 3G data network, but it is so puny today it is laughable. I especially love how you can go from LTE to EDGE in 20 minutes on the road. Fantastic network ya got there!

    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    You are the one people continue to correct like in the other topic. You continue to troll the other forum which people are getting sick of you. So seriously, you get the facts straight before posting.
    I must have missed the posts in which I am being a troll and people are getting sick of me. If that is the case, wouldn't that put you in the same boat? Please, enlighten me. If I recall, you called me out, at which point I responded with my opinions on why I support Verizon. Then a few others agreed and backed me up, saying I had a great post with solid points. You still have yet to say anything.

    By the way: see what I did there? I provided you links to click on so you can verify my claims in this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    I have used all the providers, and have been here way longer than you pal.
    Can't say I recognize you on here at all. Maybe that's because some of your most recent posts are from June 2010.

    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    So learn from those who actually know.
    I learn through research, data, facts, time, and others. I make claims and say things that I am able to back up. I see both sides of the story, and I give credit where credit is due. I'll say it again: you bring no real-world experience to the table. You bring no links or data to back up anything you say. You argue with blanket statements and assume your experience reflects everyone else's. Once again, it appears you are copying and pasting bullet points off AT&T's website.

    To the OP: I gave you my advice above. I apologize for the way this thread has turned out. Russ, I will not be responding to you on here anymore. If you wish to continue discussing things, feel free to PM me.


    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    And just what do you call slow? You do not provide any evidence for any of your conclusions?

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums
    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    Why do I have to present evidence when you can search that every single review between both carries has shown Verizon data is slow. It's part of CDMA. Sprint is the slowest of them all. There is a reason why people love AT&T 3G.
    Yeah Steve! Who needs evidence for claims on here?? We must be crazy!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,582
    Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Still no evidence; just wild generalizations. I just got 2449 down, 807 up, on ping of 108. This is plenty fast in the real world; and I never have EDGE.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    228
    Device(s)
    S10e
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    the coverage maps are a lie so i wouldn't exactly follow them. verizon's "extended" area (around here in southwest FL at least) means you're not going to get LTE most of the time. at&t says my area has "4G" but nearly every single data point i look at on rootmetrics shows it as slower than 3G. for some reason their coverage maps also show a small spot of 3G right near me. wouldn't that be pretty much impossible since they upgraded all the other towers around here to 4G? in my area at&t phones end up dropping to EDGE anyway. they added 3G and 4G to a lot of florida very recently, so it may work better in some areas than others. that's why florida is mostly dark blue.

    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    Please don't take this guys words for fact. He is very biased towards Verizon. Florida has strong AT&T 3G/4G coverage, and has LTE in Orlando. They actually have more 4G coverage than Verizon in the whole state of Florida.
    not all over florida. if the coverage was strong, it wouldn't drop to EDGE in a "4G" area.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,445
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you know someone where you're moving ask them what they think.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,980
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Still no evidence; just wild generalizations. I just got 2449 down, 807 up, on ping of 108. This is plenty fast in the real world; and I never have EDGE.
    Nice, and I agree. Even looking at EVDO vs. LTE, Facebook loads the same. Websites load the same (most of the time), Pulse loads just as fast. Youtube and Spotify load faster, but other than that....

    Everyone is gung-ho about speeds with these new technologies, but LTE is about much more than increased speed; it is about a more efficient network, about more simultaneous connections; about better cell-edge connectivity; and about allowing the network to do more. Speeds are just a bullet point on the real presentation.

    Quote Originally Posted by mariol90 View Post
    the coverage maps are a lie so i wouldn't exactly follow them. verizon's "extended" area (around here in southwest FL at least) means you're not going to get LTE most of the time. at&t says my area has "4G" but nearly every single data point i look at on rootmetrics shows it as slower than 3G. for some reason their coverage maps also show a small spot of 3G right near me. wouldn't that be pretty much impossible since they upgraded all the other towers around here to 4G? in my area at&t phones end up dropping to EDGE anyway. they added 3G and 4G to a lot of florida very recently, so it may work better in some areas than others. that's why florida is mostly dark blue.
    +1. This is very important. The coverage maps are just generalizations. Like you, extended LTE for me basically means no LTE. There are a few exceptions, but I generally look at the extended LTE areas as EVDO only.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,937
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    I meant 3G. If you read my other topic. AT&T has 3G, 4G, 4G LTE. It has 3. Verizon has a slow 3G, and 4G LTE. AT&T has more 4G HSPA+ than Verizon does. And AT&T 3G is much faster than Verizons 3G anyways. So the 4G is a plus.

    You are the one people continue to correct like in the other topic. You continue to troll the other forum which people are getting sick of you. So seriously, you get the facts straight before posting.

    I have used all the providers, and have been here way longer than you pal. So learn from those who actually know.
    You probably should get your facts straight before using them to insult someone.

    You also forget how AT&T has a large part of their network on EDGE and non-HSPA+ is about the same as Verizon EVDO. You forgot to mention how Verizon is rapidly deploying the fastest *4G* technology, while AT&T isn't. They are taking their damn sweet time.

    And no AT&T isn't America's favorite anything, in fact they get the most public outcry about their horrible business and network decisions.

    And PLEAE ENLIGHTEN US AS TO HOW THIS IS SO MUCH FASTER THAN VERIZON'S 4GLTE?? Because that was with a HSPA+ iPhone in an HSPA+ 4G area...


  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,049
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4real View Post
    I'll be moving to Florida - New Smyrna Beach specifically. I'll most likely be between there, Daytona and Orlando mostly.

    As for data usage - I currently have a 6GB plan in Canada, but I can barely reach 2GB on a heavy month. Maybe that'll change when I've got 4G? So I guess unlimited data sounds good in theory, but it doesn't seem to be so important as to be the basis of my final decision.
    During my visits to that area I've had reliable service with VZW - both 3G and 4G LTE. I have found LTE speeds in Florida to generally be excellent with most speed tests in the 20-40 Meg down range. That said, many people in Florida swear by at&t and with them owning both Cellular license bands in much of the state they may not be a bad option (coverage wise) either, but I have seen at&t capacity issues in certain parts of Orlando.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,112
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, it seems like I certainly stirred the pot with this thread! Thanks for those with helpful replies. Thanks also to those who wanted to be helpful but got sidetracked by their fighting... maybe try bringing that part to PM and let us know when you've settled your debate?

    @tmobiley, sounds like you get around a lot! So based on what you're saying it seems like prefer Sprint in my area (Volusia County), but you mainly talk about 3G. What's their 4G status? Would they be HSPA+ or LTE? (or nothing?). What about customer service etc? Since going with a cell company is more than just having the best coverage, it's also important to consider what kind of plans you can get and how likely they are to try to screw you or just generally piss you off when you have to deal with customer service... Look at me, sounding so negative. Maybe customer service for carriers down there isn't as bad as Canadia...

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,980
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4real View Post
    So based on what you're saying it seems like prefer Sprint in my area (Volusia County), but you mainly talk about 3G. What's their 4G status? Would they be HSPA+ or LTE? (or nothing?).
    Well, right now Sprint's 4G future is murky. We know they are launching LTE in 2012 in a few select cities, and they have said they will be done rolling out LTE in 2013, but for now, they are relying on their 3G network, which is the same as Verizon's- EVDO.

    If 3G is all ya need, surely give Sprint a shot! Other than that, AT&T will be your current fastest best bet with HSPA+. Verizon will have the fastest speeds- LTE to you soonest. It all depends on what you are looking for and which carriers perform best for you. Choose the best combo of voice and data speeds.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    228
    Device(s)
    S10e
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4real View Post
    Well, it seems like I certainly stirred the pot with this thread! Thanks for those with helpful replies. Thanks also to those who wanted to be helpful but got sidetracked by their fighting... maybe try bringing that part to PM and let us know when you've settled your debate?
    if you don't need a phone the second you get down there, one thing you could do is the 14-day "trial" thing. i'm not sure if all the carriers do that but if they do it'd give you a nice opportunity to see who performs the best for the specific areas you are in the most. if the first carrier you pick turns out to be good (which is likely if you go with sprint/at&t/verizon), you could just stick with that. t-mobile probably added 3G recently, otherwise a lot of the area is EDGE: http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/US...ile/gsm_310260

    also since sprint uses CDMA, they won't have HSPA at all and are using wimax for 4G currently. it reaches to port orange (based off sensorly), which is just north of where you'll be. it may go further than that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best carrier for Western Europe?
    By HazelGirl in forum Regional Providers and Other Providers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 10:31 AM
  2. Best Carrier for Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson...Job Transfer
    By Dio in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 02:20 PM
  3. Best Carrier in W. Europe?
    By HazelGirl in forum Sprint
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 07:18 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 01:22 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2002, 10:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks