Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moving to US - best carrier / device?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Moving to US - best carrier / device?

So I don't even know which forum to post this question in, since it's not really specific to any one carrier... I'm moving to the US and want some advice on which carrier I should go with, and what device you recommend? I'm a tech geek, so getting a really solid device is important to me. That said... I'm leaving an iphone 4 at home and really don't care to go iphone again. It might end up going that way, since I have accessories and purchased apps already, but I just feel so restricted in the iphone world.

As for carriers, I figured people in this forum would have both good and bad things to say about verizon, and since it's hofo I'm sure you know about the other carriers too. Important to me are:

Enough data that I don't have to worry about going over
    I don't mind lower "anytime" minutes if it's balanced with an early free evening/weekend offering
    Tethering would be really nice to have

So... suggestions?

Oh! And a big reason I'm thinking about moving away from the iphone is to go 4G, and Apple just isn't there yet.

Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    Where in the U.S are you moving to? That's the most important question that you need to answer right now. Each carrier has their own spots where they have excellent service and not-so-excellent service. How much traveling would you be doing as well? Try looking at the coverage maps of the carriers and from there, you can rule out any carriers that wouldn't provide coverage in the areas you need it, such as at work, home, the commute in between, etc.

What would you expect to do with your phone? Sprint is currently the only nationwide carrier to still offer unlimited data. Your needs will help determine which data plan would be best for your needs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'll be moving to Florida - New Smyrna Beach specifically. I'll most likely be between there, Daytona and Orlando mostly.

As for data usage - I currently have a 6GB plan in Canada, but I can barely reach 2GB on a heavy month. Maybe that'll change when I've got 4G? So I guess unlimited data sounds good in theory, but it doesn't seem to be so important as to be the basis of my final decision.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Data wise, you sound fine in that all of the major carriers will likely meet your needs. Verizon and ATT offer 2GB of data for about $30 month, and charge overage. Tmobile offers about the same amount but will throttle you afterward. Right now, the thing to worry about is coverage. I suggest trying out 1-2 carriers after verifying with the coverage map. If you don't like the phone/coverage, return it within 14 days for a full refund. It's a good way to test out the service.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well in the US Verizon is winning the 4G race hands-down, and in your area, they have ample room to built LTE: 34mhz of 700 topped off with 20mhz of AWS should they need it. New Symrna Beach looks like it is just outside of the LTE coverage area as it is today, and I am not sure when they are expanding in Florida next, but they are deploying LTE at a very rapid pace, so it shouldn't be too long. Daytona and Orlando both have LTE live.

As far as voice and 3G go, they are PCS-only in all three of those locations. This shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I know Orlando is fine in most spots.

You should get the Galaxy Nexus- the latest Android with 4.0 and Verizon LTE.

You can get 450 minutes with unlimited texting and 2 gigs of data for ~$90, but if you do it before next Sunday, you will get 4 gigs of data for that price, which is a killer deal.

Nationwide, Verizon is the best mobile network as far as voice goes. The 3G can be slow in places, but Verizon is pushing out LTE so fast you may never notice. AT&T has a faster 3G network but it is heavily congested in some places like Verizon's and they only have LTE in a handful of places.

Give Verizon a shot! You have 14 days to try them out.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, what Trocks797 said, but look at the Razr and Rezound as well as the Nexus.
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 10+, iPhone XR, iPhone 7, iPhone SE & Netgear Nighthawk LTE hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Please don't take this guys words for fact. He is very biased towards Verizon. Florida has strong AT&T 3G/4G coverage, and has LTE in Orlando. They actually have more 4G coverage than Verizon in the whole state of Florida. AT&T also has better voice quality over Verizon due to it not being compressed like Verizon's is. Now Verizon has better customer service, and will probably have less drop calls. I have had no drop calls with AT&T over the past 6 months but use too a lot before that. They obviously have been upgrading their network a lot lately.

See these maps.

Verizon (only the green dots have 4G)

AT&T the dark blue is all 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Well in the US Verizon is winning the 4G race hands-down, and in your area, they have ample room to built LTE: 34mhz of 700 topped off with 20mhz of AWS should they need it. New Symrna Beach looks like it is just outside of the LTE coverage area as it is today, and I am not sure when they are expanding in Florida next, but they are deploying LTE at a very rapid pace, so it shouldn't be too long. Daytona and Orlando both have LTE live.

As far as voice and 3G go, they are PCS-only in all three of those locations. This shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I know Orlando is fine in most spots.

You can get 450 minutes with unlimited texting and 2 gigs of data for ~$90, but if you do it before next Sunday, you will get 4 gigs of data for that price, which is a killer deal.

Nationwide, Verizon is the best mobile network as far as voice goes. The 3G can be slow in places, but Verizon is pushing out LTE so fast you may never notice. AT&T has a faster 3G network but it is heavily congested in some places like Verizon's and they only have LTE in a handful of places.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post

VZW might be best network for data but VZW voice isn't good compared to AT&T. Just traded in Rzr for Nexus cause people were telling me voice is better on that device and it's not too much better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    Please don't take this guys words for fact. He is very biased towards Verizon. Florida has strong AT&T 3G/4G coverage, and has LTE in Orlando. They actually have more 4G coverage than Verizon in the whole state of Florida. AT&T also has better voice quality over Verizon due to it not being compressed like Verizon's is. Now Verizon has better customer service, and will probably have less drop calls. I have had no drop calls with AT&T over the past 6 months but use too a lot before that. They obviously have been upgrading their network a lot lately.

See these maps.

If you want to try and get all technical, then you should know AT&T runs their voice network at AMR 5.90k continuously vs. Verizon's scaling EVRC-B capable of 8kbit/s. Its subjective to say AT&T's call quality is better overall, because in all the ratings they are lower.

Btw. You should know the dark blue is HSPA+ aka. Faux 4G and is not nearly as good as Verizon's LTE service.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    4G and 4G LTE are two different things. And even then, AT&T HSPA+ is faster than Verizon 4G (not LTE).

AT&T 3G blows Verizon's 3G out of the water in data speeds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LTE Fever View Post
    If you want to try and get all technical, then you should know AT&T runs their voice network at AMR 5.90k continuously vs. Verizon's scaling EVRC-B capable of 8kbit/s. Its subjective to say AT&T's call quality is better overall, because in all the ratings they are lower.

Btw. You should know the dark blue is HSPA+ aka. Faux 4G and is not nearly as good as Verizon's LTE service.

Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    4G and 4G LTE are two different things. And even then, AT&T HSPA+ is faster than Verizon 4G (not LTE).

AT&T 3G blows Verizon's 3G out of the water in data speeds as well.
    Clearly...
    Name:  photo-2.png
Views: 535
Size:  337.5 KB
    Name:  photo-3.png
Views: 587
Size:  150.9 KB
    HSPA+ is a joke. Nice of a crap carrier to try and trick their customers into thinking they get something as good as the competition though. Why do people defend obviously inferior products? A bizarre case for psych class I guess.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    When I tried a friends razr on vz 4g it was generally getting around 23 down which surprised me. I didn't expect it to be in my area yet. I'm very close to forgetting hspa and hopping on the red lte train. I do agree vz call quality isn't my favorite.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

See these maps.

Are you seriously copying and pasting this same post in every thread to you go into? And who told you AT&T voice is not compressed?? How can you compare HSPA+ to LTE? You need to check your facts before posting. We have HSPA+ "4G" in my area and see 2-6mbps at night and far less than that during the day. Verizon is a ton faster here. You definitely seem like you prefer AT&T, which is perfectly fine, but you need to make sure you represent the facts from all sides. NO carrier is perfect and those who know what they are talking about can back up the claims they make. I have yet to see you do so. It seems you have an AT&T brochure in front of you. After calling me a fanboy the other day in another thread, I responded to you, explaining my position and you had nothing to say. I can only imagine why....

To the OP: you posted this in the Verizon forum so I gave you the facts about Verizon. Try out any carrier you wish and see which works best. Overall, 98% of the time, AT&T HSPA+ is not and will not ever be on the same level as any LTE, and AT&T currently cannot build an LTE network as strong as Verizon in any of the places you travel because they only have 24mhz of 700 and no AWS spectrum at all (compared to Verizon's 54mhz of spectrum).

I know voice/data wise, AT&T seems to perform pretty well in most parts of Florida. However, Florida is one of the many places AT&T is strapped for LTE spectrum. I have had no problems in Orlando and Daytona with Verizon. If you find AT&T performs better, go with them. If Verizon performs better (or they perform OK but you want LTE a lot quicker), go with Verizon. The point is you can try any carrier you want.

EDIT:

And even then, AT&T HSPA+ is faster than Verizon 4G (not LTE).
    Are you SERIOUS?? Verizon's only form of 4G is LTE! Oh my God....hilarious! This guy....
    Last edited by Trocks797; 01-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've found AT&T's service in Florida to be pretty outstanding. I almost moved to Orlando and almost every place I looked at didn't have Verizon or Sprint service inside. Outside it was rocky. That said, I found Verizon to be much better than Sprint in Orlando. T-Mobile isn't great where I am, but it might be good enough in Florida though. Complicated question honestly, as all 4 carriers may work well or just one for your particular needs.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sorry but you just obviously posted the slowest HSPA+ test out there. All the reviews even said AT&T network speed for data blows it out of the water. Nice try.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304 View Post
    Clearly...
    Name:  photo-2.png
Views: 535
Size:  337.5 KB
    Name:  photo-3.png
Views: 587
Size:  150.9 KB
    HSPA+ is a joke. Nice of a crap carrier to try and trick their customers into thinking they get something as good as the competition though. Why do people defend obviously inferior products? A bizarre case for psych class I guess.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast