Thread: $45/mo Straight Talk iPhone vs $56/mo Sprint iPhone

Feedback Score

$45/mo Straight Talk iPhone vs $56/mo Sprint iPhone

I am in kind of a difficult position right now. Currently I have the SERO premium plan which gives me 500 daytime minutes, unlimited mobile-mobile calls to any cell, unlimited text, and unlimited data for $45 a month after taxes. Same price as StraightTalk. I am trying to decide if I should stay with Sprint and get an iphone or do the ST iphone sim swap trick. For those that don't know if you buy a refurbished Nokia phone with an unlocked sim for $50, you can then take the sim and put it in any AT&T or unlocked gsm phone and you will have unlimited everything (2GB soft data cap) with coverage on AT&T postpaid network with roaming included. Here is some info on the ST method...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...o-make-it-work!

http://slickdeals.net/f/3676528-Stra...ip-till-12-16?

Basically through my research it comes down to this..

Sprint
    Pros: Truly unlimited data, don't have to worry about being shut off or terminated.
    Cons: slower 3G data than AT&T. I get about 1 meg max d/l on Sprint and more like 200-500kb average. At home it's even worse but I can use wifi so not a huge deal.

Straight Talk
    Pros: Faster data, unlimited minutes
    Cons: Could be shut off at anytime for using too much data, customer service sounds like it is pretty poor.
    Have to jailbreak iphone to get MMS to work. Have to worry if ST will catch on in the future and block everyone's phones (this has been going on for over a year with no one saying anything).

I know that theoretically AT&T data should be 2-3x times faster, but in tests I've seen AT&T averaging only 1.6 mbps, with Sprint around 0.8 mbps. If I'm browsing mobile websites on Opera Mini, or streaming a song or podcast is that even going to be a noticeable difference? My guess is no. With Sprint I would keep unlimited data and basically have unlimited minutes anyways with any mobile any time. Even if I don't go over 2GB I just like that I don't have to worry about how much I'm messing around with apps or browsing/streaming on Sprint. Also if I got rid of SERO I would have no chance of keeping that cheap plan when LTE comes along. With ST I can forget tethering (MyWi), 3G Facetime, or any other data intensive app.

There it is, right now I don't know what to do. I don't currently need unlimited minutes but that could always change in the future and it's just something that would be nice to have. The data part of ST scares me having to always watch what I'm downloading and limit my usage to wifi as much as possible. The thing is, if I cancel my SERO plan it will be lost forever. It seems like the ST plan will be around for awhile and they don't seem to be cracking down on iphone users unless they are using too much data. The plus to staying with Sprint would be that I would keep unlimited data, and hopefully when the new LTE phones come out I will be able to get blazing fast unlimited speeds with no cap. This will never be possible on AT&T or any other network. I would save $132 a year or $264 2/yr on ST, but the other wild card is that I'm out of contract on Sprint so I'm eligible for the full upgrade credit. If I stay with Sprint I would probably try to buy an iphone 4 8GB on ebay for ~$300, save my upgrade credit, use it on the iphone 5 later in the year if it has LTE, and then sell the iphone 4 basically making the upgrade to the 5 free.

What would you do if you were in my situation? Stick it out with SERO or move on?

Device(s)
    Samsung Moment
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    You're assuming that Sprint will actually keep unlimited data and grandfather you in.

Granted the other carriers have grandfathered existing customers in, if Sprint's recent anti-consumer decisions can shed any light on the future, when sprint does do away with their unlimited data, we don't know if they'll grandfather us in or not.
    I had the legit mobile hotspot on my EVO, and was paying Sprint an extra $30 a month for it. Out of nowhere they change the terms and make your "Unlimited data" (3g AND 4g) to only 5GB. Existing customers were not grandfathered in.
    On the flip side, with my T-Mobile Sidekick 4G, or just about any T-Mobile Android phone, you get free hotspot officially supported out of the box. No extra charge needed, it simply goes against your monthly data allowance and once you hit it, you are throttled to 2G speeds.

I've also been looking at ST, and from the looks of it, the sim swap loop hole has been going on for a long time now, and the nokia phones that have them are on ST's phone page right now for $49.99 each. It'd be nice having both an iPhone and an Android that you can simply swap the sim card in and out of depending on which phone you feel like using, plus getting ATT's 3g speed.

Sprint 3G used to be great in South Florida, but has taken a huge hit after the EVO launch. I went from being able to game online on my PS3 with Sprint 3G to getting 0.12mb down. Even still today, I get those same speeds on 3G. (4G is obviously better, but the majority of the country lacks access to Sprint 4G.)

I'd say go for Straight Talk.. they've been around a while now and their parent company added something like 1,000,000 net additions this past quarter. $45 for unlimited everything is a great deal, and if you get tired of ATT on ST, you can always go over to the Sprint side with one of their Android phones and still pay the same $45.
    Best bet if possible though would probably be to sign up for ST first month, do the sim swap, and test it out for a couple weeks.. if you like it, port over.
    I tried out T-Mobile for 2 weeks on a temporary assigned number before finally porting my virgin mobile number over to it.. the ability to swap sim cards in and out of different phones, plus real 4G data speeds was a game changer compared to virgin mobile.
    (Plus, I didn't really need 3 carriers - Sprint, VM, and then T-Mobile.)

Haven't seen too many stories of people getting shut off on ST for using "too much" of their advertised unlimited data.. though I have read plenty of them of people going to 5GB (including on ATT) without any issues.

Feedback Score
    After seeing this video, I think I would regret leaving Sprint and losing my plan...

http://www.androidcentral.com/allege...huawei-hotspot

I think I may be rethinking my plan and go with a Galaxy S2 since I have Wimax in my area and then look at what LTE phones Sprint has when it comes to my area. I have been playing around with an iphone 4 and while it is a beautiful piece of work the screen is kind of small for my liking. Text is very sharp but also a little small to read and feels cramped. I know everyone says the S2 is huge but I really don't think I'd have much of a problem with it. I've played with it at Best Buy and it does seem big when you compare it to an iphone or a Blackberry, but it seems like the trade off for that 4.52" screen would be worth it. The Galaxy Note on the other hand may be pushing it...

Feedback Score
    I would hold off until LTE phones start showing up.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i would keep the SERO plan, I just upgraded a line with SERO for an iPhone 5. LTE not in my area yet, but i can wait. you have to have SERO premium and then get whacked with the $10 smartphone data fee. also make sure you talk with the right Sprint Cumstomer Care # (for SEROP I used 888-876-8381)

Feedback Score
    Weird coincidence. I wrestled with the same decision but finally pulled the trigger and upgraded to SERO Premium with data. I purchased a used Sprint iPhone 4 from Cowboom for $165 over the holidays, so I'm not locked into a 2-year contract. I also saved my upgrade for later and feel I can resell this phone for around what I paid for it. So I can flee without an ETF if Sprint decides to alter our plans, or decide I want a change.

Sprint's data speeds are horrid where I'm at, but it's good enough to stream music and I rely on WiFi at the house. It came down to manipulating a phone to get it to fully work (ie, MMS), and risking running afoul of StraightTalk's TOS (which seems if you stream anything enough -- even music -- they can kick you off) ... or stay with Sprint. And I was afraid to lose my SERO plan with unlimited data, without giving it a try. I understand Sprint will begin their Network Vision Upgrades and adding LTE here in the next couple months, so I hope the data overall gets better. But since this is my first smart phone, and I'm not streaming video, Sprint's data speeds haven't bothered me one bit.

Good luck whichever way you go!

Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

$45/mo Straight Talk iPhone vs $56/mo Sprint iPhone

Just an FYI you don't need to do the sim swaps anymore you can buy them outright www.straightalksim.com I just gave up my AT&T st sim to go back to Sprint. Sure not as fast but I know exactly what I get with sprint.... St is a crap shoot

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beet View Post
    Just an FYI you don't need to do the sim swaps anymore you can buy them outright www.straightalksim.com I just gave up my AT&T st sim to go back to Sprint. Sure not as fast but I know exactly what I get with sprint.... St is a crap shoot
    The other compelling reason to keep SERO over ST is you can get a break on a new phone every 20 months, versus having to pay full retail on the prepaid plans. Oh, and this thread is like a year old...