Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Got Scammed with a Samsung Galaxy S2 - Tmobile says IMEI is blocked

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you fail to pay for something, you don't rightfully own it. Just because no one sends the police to your house to arrest you, doesn't mean you rightfully own it. I am in full agreement with a company making a device unusable if the person decides they don't want to pay for it. If you can't pay, don't sign the paper that says you can. I feel bad for the OP that gets shafted because of it, but consider it a lesson learned... If you want to leave T-Mobile over it, fine. That's your prerogative, just know, that they aren't the ones who sold you the blacklisted phone.
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    If you fail to pay for something, you don't rightfully own it.
    That's not what the law says. But if you don't understand the definition of unsecured credit at this point, I'm not going to educate you. Perhaps you can take a class at the community college in finance to clear that up at some point.

I feel bad for the OP that gets shafted because of it, but consider it a lesson learned...
    Consider it a lesson learned? What lesson is that? That T-Mobile doesn't at the very least broadly publicize to their existing customers to be careful if they buy a used device. That T-Mobile doesn't provide a website to check IMEI numbers. That T-Mobile may still disable a pre-owned device after you did an IMEI check and after you bought it. These are some of the lessons that I learned. What lesson did you learn?

If you want to leave T-Mobile over it, fine. That's your prerogative, just know, that they aren't the ones who sold you the blacklisted phone.
    The bottom line is it's within T-Mobile's power to permit the device that the OP legally purchased to operate on their network and they chose not to. If they don't allow it, then the OP has every right to give his business to another carrier. If they're extending credit to deadbeats that's on them, not on the customers with an account in good standing. Just another sign how poorly they treat good customers. Obviously you're an advocate for that treatment.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    That's not what the law says. But if you don't understand the definition of unsecured credit at this point, I'm not going to educate you. Perhaps you can take a class at the community college in finance to clear that up at some point.
    Maybe you should go to community college. I'm sick of your condescending attitude, and using your post count to try to intimidate people. You can't just go around getting unsecured credit and not have consequences just because it's unsecured credit. Yes many do get away with it, but only because someone doesn't enforce the law. Read below
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_5516104_pe...ured-debt.html
    Penalties for Not Paying Unsecured Debt

Unsecured debt refers to loans that are issued without the borrower's having to put up any collateral. Thus, the lender cannot seize any property, such as your car or home. However, there are other penalties that can be imposed.

If you miss your payments, you can be charged late fees and interest on your unpaid balance. Your interest rate can also be increased.

The lender will report your late payments or defaults to the credit bureaus, which will damage your credit score. This will make it harder to get loans in the future and, if you are able to get them, you will pay a higher interest rate.
    Legal Action

Though you usually cannot face criminal charges for not paying unsecured debt, you can be sued in civil court for the amount you owe. You can also be forced to pay for the court costs.
    Future Income

In the event that you do not have the money to repay your debt, the court can also order that future income be seized to repay your obligations. A lien can be put on your property, such as a house or car, so that you cannot sell it without paying off your debt.

Read more: Penalties for Not Paying Unsecured Debt | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5516104_pe...#ixzz1iuFNqzgC
    So unsecured credit is not just a free for all. There are consequences to not paying. The OP basically is just part of the lein t-mobile put on that phone. But since there is no title to keep the seller from selling it, they had to blacklist it instead, Hoping somehow to get restitution that way. If the Seller pays the remainder of the balance, then I'm sure they would take it off the blacklist.

Feedback Score
    You can't just go around getting unsecured credit and not have consequences just because it's unsecured credit.
    I never said that you wouldn't have consequences. I said T-Mobile should exercise their rights under the law to collect the unsecured credit.

Read below
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_5516104_pe...ured-debt.html

So unsecured credit is not just a free for all. There are consequences to not paying.
    Right. The article you site lists the exact action T-Mobile should be taking with the debt holder. Fees, reporting to the credit bureau, a civil suit, wage garnishment, etc. So why aren't they doing that? Instead they target the property that is legally owned by someone else.

The OP basically is just part of the lein t-mobile put on that phone.
    T-Mobile didn't put a lien on the phone! They would have no legal authority to do such a thing anyway. No state government issues titles for cell phones. So there's no way to put a lien on one. As the article you quoted, correctly stated, "A lien can be put on your property, such as a house or car". Because those are items that are titled. Even to do that, T-Mobile would need to get a favorable judgment from a civil court to place a lien. And that's fine if they want to do that, but it would have no bearing on the OP's situation. It's his device, he should be free to use it for the purpose it was sold for.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile didn't put a lien on the phone! They would have no legal authority to do such a thing anyway. No state government issues titles for cell phones. So there's no way to put a lien on one. As the article you quoted, correctly stated, "A lien can be put on your property, such as a house or car". Because those are items that are titled. Even to do that, T-Mobile would need to get a favorable judgment from a civil court to place a lien. And that's fine if they want to do that, but it would have no bearing on the OP's situation. It's his device, he should be free to use it for the purpose it was sold for.
    That is what I said... "They can't put a lien on a cellphone since there is no title"... That's why they blacklist it. It may be the op's device, but not quite "legally" obtained. Otherwise it couldn't be blacklisted. If t-mobile is wrong then the OP, or you should take them to court, or see what the BBB has to say about it, otherwise, the case is closed.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using HowardForums

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G, 8900 Javelin, G600, Pebl, v80 w/850,
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That is what I said... "They can't put a lien on a cellphone since there is no title"... That's why they blacklist it. It may be the op's device, but not quite "legally" obtained. Otherwise it couldn't be blacklisted. If t-mobile is wrong then the OP, or you should take them to court, or see what the BBB has to say about it, otherwise, the case is closed.
    That's actually a good idea, take them to small claims, then T-Mobile realizes that it will cost more to send a lawyer that is unfamiliar with the case to wherever OP is, and they'll settle.

Device(s)
    3gs...Speed Demon
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular now the new ATT
    Feedback Score
    This happened to my brother...he bought 2 Galaxy S 2 and they were blacklisted...AT the end of the day TMOBILE loses...they lost 3 lines, they were them for almost 10 years...

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pachi View Post
    This happened to my brother...he bought 2 Galaxy S 2 and they were blacklisted...AT the end of the day TMOBILE loses...they lost 3 lines, they were them for almost 10 years...
    Yes, but depending on what kind of deal your brother got on the new service, he may have lost too. Unless he is paying the same or less with his new carrier.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's too bad for him. If he wasn't under contract he could have gotten them for dirt cheap via customer retention, instead of buying them off of a deadbeat at a very slight discount.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    That's too bad for him. If he wasn't under contract he could have gotten them for dirt cheap via customer retention, instead of buying them off of a deadbeat at a very slight discount.
    Agreed. I find it funny, well disturbing, people's misguided anger. Instead of being mad at the idiot that sold them a phone that they basically stole from the carrier, they get mad and want to screw the people who were already screwed in the first place. And then basically cut off their nose to spite their face, because usually they end up going to a more expensive carrier (that has the same policies toward unpaid for equipment).

Feedback Score
    That's too bad. Yes, this policy only hurts T-Mobile. Not only do they take a hit having issue unsecured credit to someone who didn't pay them back, they then chase away a good 10 year customer with 3 lines. Blacklisting devices is ridiculous because it doesn't do anything to collect unpaid debts. It just angers exsiting customers and causes them to flee too.

And the CEO wonders why they're losing a customer for every customer that they manage to resign. It's just bold mismanagement.

T-Mobile customers should have the ability to buy and sell their devices on the open market with no worries as they always have had.

Device(s)
    3gs...Speed Demon
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular now the new ATT
    Feedback Score
    That's too bad. Yes, this policy only hurts T-Mobile. Not only do they take a hit having issue unsecured credit to someone who didn't pay them back, they then chase away a good 10 year customer with 3 lines. Blacklisting devices is ridiculous because it doesn't do anything to collect unpaid debts. It just angers exsiting customers and causes them to flee too.

And the CEO wonders why they're losing a customer for every customer that they manage to resign. It's just bold mismanagement.

T-Mobile customers should have the ability to buy and sell their devices on the open market with no worries as they always have had.
    That's what I told them.. They don't care.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's what I told them.. They don't care.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Here's a better question: What did they do with the phones?
    If they have Verizon or Sprint the same can happen, just slightly different. Even if the MEID is clear and activated on their account, once they remove it for whatever reason and if the original owner claimed lost or stolen it will be a Verizon or Sprint paperweight. T-Mobile needs a tool checker (either available to reps or online) to figure out if the phone is on an EIP, if it is - avoid at all costs. Growing pains to a new system, but phone gaming is a problem.

Agreed. I find it funny, well disturbing, people's misguided anger. Instead of being mad at the idiot that sold them a phone that they basically stole from the carrier, they get mad and want to screw the people who were already screwed in the first place. And then basically cut off their nose to spite their face, because usually they end up going to a more expensive carrier (that has the same policies toward unpaid for equipment).

yeah well what can you do.. if they bought a VZW or Sprint phone with a bad MEID I bet you any money they wouldn't leave over it and blame the seller, not the carrier.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    Here's a better question: What did they do with the phones?
    If they have Verizon or Sprint the same can happen, just slightly different. Even if the MEID is clear and activated on their account, once they remove it for whatever reason and if the original owner claimed lost or stolen it will be a Verizon or Sprint paperweight. T-Mobile needs a tool checker (either available to reps or online) to figure out if the phone is on an EIP, if it is - avoid at all costs. Growing pains to a new system, but phone gaming is a problem.

yeah well what can you do.. if they bought a VZW or Sprint phone with a bad MEID I bet you any money they wouldn't leave over it and blame the seller, not the carrier.
    I know. I guess that's what T-Mobile gets for being lenient for so long. Now when they enforce rules everyone gets mad and leaves even though the other carriers did it first. When I bought my first HD2 off craigslist, I called before I bought it to make sure it would work. Don't know why others can't think to do the same. This whole world is going into the crapper with everyone's "It's someone Else's fault"! attitude!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do see the problem though, T-Mobile has no way of being able to find out of a phone is on an EIP or has been stolen nor do the reps know because of how new this is (before this wasn't a problem). However, switching to another carrier because you got burned by someone other than T-Mobile and T-Mobile refusing to release the IMEI's is a joke.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast