Thread: DOCOMO USA for Unlocked imported Keitai

Carrier(s)
    Globe
    Feedback Score

DOCOMO USA for Unlocked imported Keitai

Hello!

Does anyone had a chance to try the DOCOMO USA service on their unlocked Keitai from Japan?

I saw a kiosk/help desk the other day and was wondering if DOCOMO USA would be a better choice than to carry on using ATT....

Carrier(s)
    Telstra Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think that's just a store to help people from Japan to setup roaming and/or set their phones up before they leave the US to return to Japan. AFAIK, its not a network carrier.
    The Sheep Butler at your service
    Currently using: iPhone 4S

Previous phones: 3210.3200.X430.V200.K750i.RAZR V3i.5300 XpressMusic.N73.W910i.iPhone 3G.W595.E71.SH-07B.iPhone 4S.iPhone 5.Note II.XPERIA Z.XPERIA Z1.Note 3.F-02D.XPERIA Z2.LG G3.XPERIA Z3

Device(s)
    Samsung i900 Omnia
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think he meant this:
    http://www.docomousawireless.com/

Carrier(s)
    Globe
    Feedback Score
    Yes! That is right! I'm trying to gather information for the use of the DOCOMO-USA cellular service provider. Here is what I found at the Help Desk at our local Mitsuwa market:

1) They are using the GSM networks already set up by AT&T and T-mobile. So I guess, they are on the combined coverage of the two remaining GSM network providers in the US.

2) They have a cheap plan like T-Mobile and the semi-roll over plan from AT&T. 15$ for 100 minutes that has a roll over for the next month. Although, those roll over minutes expire at the end of that month it was rolled over to.

3) They only have about 5 selections of phones you can purchase from them and use. All has Japanese text support.

I'm thinking of getting the service because at the cheapest, ATT gives you 450 minutes @ 39.99 which I don't use most of the time. Although they have roll over, I ended up racking 3000+ minutes in the span of 2 yrs (I think). I use SMS more but ATT don't offer the SMS packages anymore. With the emergence of smart phones where you can use apps to send messages anyway. So now, ATT bundled the unlimited TXTing and Mobile to Mobile call (any mobile) into one price 20$. So if I already have 3000 minutes and have the unlimited TXT with unlimited calls, it seems to me that I'm paying so much for something I don't really need but I have no choice because I need the other feature (sms).

More on this topic once I finally terminate my ATT contract and jump to DOCOMO-USA.

Carrier(s)
    Telstra Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm sorry jirubin, my apologies. I wasn't aware that docomo had was a wireless carrier in the US. I'm sorry, I don't have any information, but I'm sure others will help you.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    This is really cool, i have been waiting for a long time for docomo to come to USA

Device(s)
    Samsung i900 Omnia
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Problem is, not exactly sure where they run T-Mobile and ATT or if they run both at once. Can't really pinpoint much in terms of frequency being used.

Carrier(s)
    Telstra Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can try to ask their support team at:

http://www.docomousawireless.com/sup...e-inquiry-form

They also have a coverage map in the US so you might want to check that out if you haven't already.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They run the exact same frequencies that are run in Japan. I've considered them for a while, they are a bit pricey but have great service.

Device(s)
    HTC One X LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers | Three HK
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if their sim cards will work on locked keitais. Eh, probably not.

Looks like they have something with NFC support, just like their Japanese counterpart- shame it's just a Nexus S lol.
    iPhone 6s | N-06C

Carrier(s)
    Globe
    Feedback Score
    Alright! Here is what I have experienced with my one day trial for DOCOMO-USA service.

First up, they run on the GSM band that is also the same that is in Japan. I forgot what that frequency is thou. Second, they are borrowing from T-Mobile network infrastructure that supports GSM for call connections as well as text (SMS). I recommend checking T-Mobile's network coverage instead of the fixed coverage map drawing that they have on their website.

They do offer a Data plan as well and this time, they also borrow AT&T data network too aside from T-Mobile.

The plans that they offer can be pretty cheap. 100 minutes for 15$/month that rolls over the next month for any unused minutes. The roll over minutes will expire at the end of the billing period that it was rolled into thou unlike AT&T where it stays with you for a year until it expires.

Text plans are cheap as well. Starting at 10$ for 250 msgs.

Data plan thou, for me is kind of expensive. 5$ or 10$ I think for only so and so megabytes.

The upside to having the service is (IMO) is that it starts cheap and favorable to those who make calls to Japan. You can call to Japan using your own minutes instead of being charged extra for international calls. Although those calls you can make are calls only to landline phone numbers.

You can use keitai from Japan as long as it is unlocked. As I was able to use my SH-10C that was unlocked.

The downsides are:

They adhere to the same U.S. standards for cellular services. Where calls and sms are charged both coming in and going out. Second, the features that are exclusive to Japanese cell phones like i-Mode or i-Appli are still unusable even with the Docomo-USA service. The handsets that they sell is only a handful because I think those are the only ones that are guaranteed to work with the US frequencies.

So basically,the service they have favors the Japanese tourists visiting the US or those who live in the US and have families/friends that they keep in touch with in Japan. Also, the phone line up they have are I think by default Japanese in language so as to attract potential Japanese customers. It was kind of weird (a little bit) for a non-Japanese like me in the Docomo support desk in the heart of a Japanese Market (Mitsuwa) being the only customer of my kind trying to subscribe for the service.

Oh and BTW, I think the support hot line and the e-mail support are strictly in Japanese. Although I never did try to call or email them so I'm not too sure if they can accommodate non-Japanese speakers.

So there you have it. ^_^

If and when my contract expires with AT&T and there are no new Android keitai that will come out at the end of the year, I might think of getting DOCOMO-USA as my cellular service. As I am tired of resuscitating my keitai because it cannot receive sms every time AT&T decides not to recognize my phone in their system.

Feedback Score
    Hi, you're one of the few who I've found actually signed up for the service...

I'm a relative noobie in the cell phone topic but...

Last time I was in Japan, I found that my ATT 3G phone was actually getting signals in Japan. While I'd imagine roaming charges are pricey, this was convenient to receive/send SMS. I read somewhere that some 3G bands work in Japan, so I assume ATT 3G bands are what are compatible. My phone is a Sony Ericsson x10 mini (E10a) compatible with ATT. I assumed x10 mini (E10i) would be compatible with T-Mobile but according to http://www.gsmnation.com/operator/co...ty/calculator/ it is not, which means the x10 mini, either model, is not compatible with T-Mobile 3G.

This is consistent with pdadb.net:

e10i: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS900 (B8), UMTS2100 (B1)
    e10a: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850 (B5), UMTS1900 (B2), UMTS2100 (B1)

Per wikipedia, ATT 3G bands: 850 MHz UMTS/HSPA 1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA
    T-Mobile USA: 1700 MHz UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPA/HSPA+

Anyway, according to Docomo USA website, SIM card is compatible with GSM(850Mhz/1900Mhz). This seems to be the same as ATT. Wouldn't this be inconsistent with the statement using T-Mobile infrastructure for GSM connection?

Another option is KDDI Mobile (http://www.kddimobile.com/en). They are offering a SIM card service through H2O. Some documentation indicates H2O wireless SIM card uses same bands as ATT. (However, H2O seems to get some bad reviews though.)

My conclusion is that I should be able to get connection through either SIM card when in Japan... Does anyone know otherwise? And just because the frequencies match, is it possible that the provider which has a compatible frequency will not allow the H2O SIM card to connect to its network? By the way, the H2O wireless website itself shows no coverage in Japan...

Ugh, I may have found my own answer. On the ATT website, it says that coverage in Japan is handled by UMTS 2100. Sigh.

PS. Yes, I know I should upgrade my phone but I like the small form factor. The latest Xperia U is almost an inch longer.
    Last edited by jimrin; 03-10-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Device(s)
    Note 9, S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was hoping that they'll sell a keitai.

Bummer.