Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ADVICE: How i transfered my Rogers iphone 3g to Petro Canada with internet working

Feedback Score

Post ADVICE: How i transfered my Rogers iphone 3g to Petro Canada with internet working

I recently made the switch from Rogers to Petro Canada Mobile with my iphone 3g. Since it can be confusing for some users , here's how i made it:

First , my iphone is jailbroken but NOT unlocked , i don't know if that procedure will work with non jailbroken iphones.

my iphone have iOS version 4.2.1 with baseband 05.15.04 , but it may work (not sure) with other baseband/iOS versions too.

1-i ordered a sim card from petro canada mobility website

2-Once i got the sim card,I got my phone number transfered to petro canada mobility by calling the customer service

3-Once the phone number transfer was done i put some money in my account and i inserted petro canada mobility sim card in my iphone. Even if my iphone is locked with rogers the sim card was working fine (since petro canada uses rogers network), i could make and receive calls but the 3g internet was not working.

4-To be able to use 3g internet with petro canada, go to the site unlockit.co.nz with safari on your iphone using a wifi connection. Choose canada as your country and Petro Canada as your carrier.

5- Allow the proposed change , reboot your phone and everything should work fine.

Hope it helps
    Excuse my poor english

Feedback Score

New PC/Rogers Proxy Server Blocking Ports?

Hi there,

Thanks for posting your details on how you were able to get 3G data working with your iPhone; I've successfully transferred two iPhones from Rogers Pay-as-you-go to Petro Can mobility in favour of their unlimited browsing plan.

However, I have just hit a snag that some of my friends who also switched to PC Mobile are also experiencing, and was wondering if you had the same problems? It seems that PCM has switched the Proxy Server IP address details for their service as of February 1 2012 and that the old settings in the APN provided by unlockit.co.nz no longer work. This change disabled all data services for all the iPhones (mine and my friends') that I have heard about.

I created a new APN using the new server settings via Apple's iPhone Configuration Utility, and deployed it myself to my iPhone 4 to test; data is working again, but it seems that PCM is now blocking most ports other than port 80; my mail app doesn't connect to send or receive e-mail over 3G, Apple's iMessage won't activate or send messages, and Skype won't log in over 3G as well. All these features used to work via 3G on PCM before the Feb 1 switchover, so I'm wondering:

1) Did I do something wrong in setting up the new APN on my device? PCM isn't being too helpful with this one. Or,
    2) Did PCM start blocking ports for their 3G data again to keep us from using the services (like IMAP/SMTP, iMessage, etc.) that we were using before?

Any help you might have would be greatly appreciated in sorting this out; I'm still struggling my way up the customer service ladder to understand what's going on - the service used to be great with e-mail access on the go, and I was getting friends to move over to it in droves, but with only web browsing it's making it attractive to switch back to terrible Rogers/Bell just to have access to full 3G.

Please let me know if you're experiencing the same issue, and what you find out. I'll updated my discoveries here as well.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    i to have the same problem with my daughters unlocked iphone 3Gs that i have on PCM . I have her on the unlimited web browsing package and now we cant get data to work only wifi . i to wonder if anybody can help sort this out .

Feedback Score

PC Slype & Dell Voice problmes

Yes. I had the same issues with Slype & Dell Voice.

Right after the APN app stop working, I download Appl's utility & lost Slype & Dell.

Does any one have a fix?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Hi !

I changed my iphone for a Samsung galaxy nexus running android 4.0. When i made the switch, petro canada was not blocking any ports and all the application were working fine , shortly after , around feb 1st , alot of my apps where not working anymore. I checked the forums and saw that petro canada have been blocking all ports (except port 80) again. Hopefully , Android have alot of proxy apps so i rooted my phone installed proxydroid and all my apps are working fine since then (haven't tried skype though).

As for the unlockit.co.nz website , one of my friend tried my sim card in his iphone 3g (which is unlocked) , and since the phone was not getting the apn correctly from the sim card , we used unlockit.co.nz website and the 3g was working correctly. It was around feb 10 so i think that unlockit.co.nz must have made the change to the correct proxy server.

hope it helps
    Francois

Feedback Score
    I have an unlocked iphone.

I tried unlockit.co.nz March 3/2012

I still can't get Skype or Dell Voice!

Does anyone have a fix that works?

Feedback Score
    Hi. I'm new here. I just activated my PCM account and have an Iphone 3g working with internet browser too. Can anyone suggest how i could configure email to work? I have set up a Gmail account to receive and send my hotmail thinking that would be the way. I am unfamiliar with STMP, POP and all those other server terms. If anyone know how to get picture messaging too, that would be a bonus.

Feedback Score

Setting up Gmail to Work via ActiveSync on iOS

Hi there. Because PCM is blocking the IMAP/POP/SMTP ports that mail uses to send mail normally via the mail app, you have two options for getting mail to work on the 3G service with PCM's unlimited web browsing (UWB).

1. Access your gmail account via mail.google.com; the optimized iOS interface works great,

or,

2. Set up your Gmail account to access like a Microsoft Exchange server, something that is supported by Google Sync.

You can get details on how to configure your iOS device's mail software to work with Google Sync here:

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin...&answer=138740

So far I have 5 e-mail accounts all working properly over ActiveSync and not conflicting with each other, though YMMV.

Best of luck!

Feedback Score
    To get gmail on Petro Can dataplan:

Download gmail app from the app store, and login.

That is the best way to get gmail on PCM plan.

Feedback Score
    Is any one getting iphone skype on PCM?

I need a new fix.

Feedback Score
    Do you have a skype fix for iphone?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help coffeemmm. I feel like I'm almost there. Or, maybe what I want to do is not possible. Here is my scenario if you can please give more guidance:
    -I got IOS mail app to work with gmail by following Option 2 that you suggested.
    -I am successful at sending mail from Iphone app Gmail Exchange, over EDGE network, to my first Hotmail account (hotmail-1) and having it routed back to Gmail.
    -I am also successful at sending mail from Iphone app Gmail to my second Hotmail account (hotmail=2) and having it also routed back to Gmail.
    - NO success in sending , via laptop, email from hotmail-1 to hotmail-2 and having it show up in Gmail on iphone or Gmail on computer. This indicates to me that I can't receive messages to hotmail from friends, family and others.....

I am hoping to receive my hotmail messages through my new Gmail account and be able to respond to those messages.

I'm stumped.

Update: Success. Figured out I had the email addresses I owned set up in Gmail....but I didn't add the POP3 accounts to check mail

Thanks again
    Last edited by watson01; 03-16-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: figured it out

Feedback Score

No fix for Skype

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePC View Post
    Do you have a skype fix for iphone?
    There is *no* fix for Skype on iPhone; PCM's UWB plan now shunts all data through a proxy server to limit access to bandwidth-heavy items (for example, by blocking certain types of data), by compressing images served to your phone (notice how photos in e-mails and on sites like tumblr are heavily compressed), and by blocking access to any port other than port 80 for standard web traffic.

I'll say that again: every port besides port 80 is BLOCKED, so an application like Skype - which requires about a dozen ports to properly communicate with servers and other users - will have no success over Edge/3G.

In the mean time, PCM's unlimited calling options are pretty awesome, so if you want to make super-cheap 2-hour-long calls to friends across the ocean, get one of many cheap calling cards with a local access number or 1-800 access and make your calls that way. It's a compromise, but still better on the whole than going with Robelus.

Carrier(s)
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    So it's like amazon kindle's 3G proxy?
    25GB Cap? DIY Telnus prepaid/Koodo unlimited EVDO internet (for $10 per 2 months, to keep account "Active"), Max 3Mbps download speed, if you roam on Bell (free), then you get non-NATed IP

mobile files is reopened - Aug 11/2010
    HoFo = censorship same as US censor wikileaks = china censor

Feedback Score

petro mpbility help tablet

hi everyone maybe someone can help \i have a samsung tablet running 2.3 its locked to rogers i put in a new petro mobility sim changed the apn and its allows me to internet the only problem is sometimes it cuts out and i get a no data symbol on corner of screen so i turn off tablet and turn on and net works again for awhile is their something i am doin wrong are there files i need to root or use someone direct me to the proper places

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast