Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I bring holiday gifts.

Device(s)
    Huawei M835
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I bring holiday gifts.

Hey everyone, I know that I haven't checked in on these forums in a while but I bring good news.

Some of you have probably run into these issues already. The LG Esteem has 4GB of internal storage that show up as the devices SD card. The problem is that 4GB is not that much space. At first I didn't think about it much because I just had all of my extra content stored on a 16GB external SD card, 4GB just for apps seemed like plenty since most apps are rather small.

Since I have had the phone getting apps to store content to the External SD card was a tricky thing to do, if the app even allowed it at all. The last google plus update broke the ability to instant upload pictures from external drive. Today I finally ran out of space in the phones internal 4GB of memory. Just a few good apps can really take up the space. Navigon was using over 1.6 gigs of data and the Text-to-speech engines/voices I downloaded to make TTS sound good were sucking up all of the internal space.

I have come up with a way to make the phone swap the internal and external memory locations. After doing this the phone will use your SD card as if it was the internal memory and show the internal memory as external.

To do this your phone must already be rooted.
    Once the phone is rooted its just a matter of replacing a file on the phone with the modified file.

Download the following file, unzip it on your computer and transfer the vold.fstab to your SD Card. After you have the file on your SD card, use a program like Root Explorer to copy the file to /system/etc/
    When it asks if you want to replace the existing file with this new one, select yes to replace the file.
    Reboot the phone and start enjoying your new increased internal memory.

http://androidinvasion.us/downloads/vold.zip
    Last edited by MikesTooLz; 12-16-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    nize going bud just a quick question what did u use to root ur phone?

Device(s)
    Huawei M835
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The windows root script for the Esteem.

Feedback Score
    Thanks mike would you say if it has help with the phone's performance like the lagging and delay issues?

Sent from my LG-MS910 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Huawei M835
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am having no lagging or delay issues with this change. However I wast having lagging/delay issues before this. If you are having lagging or delay issues its most likely due to one or multiple apps you have installed. A lot of the apps run in the background and can slow down the phone even when your not directly using them try removing some. If you get the free amazon apps of the day, delete the ones you don't use or they can start slowing the phone down. You can always download them again for free if you need them. What I do is purchase all of them for free so I can redownload at any time with no charge, try the app out and delete it if its not something ill use.

Also I would like to make a note that using a MicroSD card with slow read/write performance could result in slow loading or lagging. Get the highest class SD card you can, I currently am using a Class 10 SD Card that is 16GB and things load really quick.

Feedback Score
    Yeah that is exactly what I been doing getting rid of all useless apps I also have a class 10 sd card 16g as of now I only have pictures on it but maybe I should transfer some apps into it.

The custom rom will be the best solution for me.

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    im using sd booster on the indulge with a regular 16 gb micro sd card and it boots up pretty quick i would love if ya tried it out on the esteem and let me know if it works cuz im getting the esteem next week.

https://market.android.com/details?i...NkYm9vc3RlciJd

Feedback Score
    what happens if you unmount/take out the SDcard?

Device(s)
    Huawei M835
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With SD Booster cache set to 2048
    6.3MB/s Write
    25.5MB/s Read

Without SD Booster
    5.9MB/s
    18.3MB/s

_______
    Moddeh it will no longer give the option to unmount the SD card since it only offers that for external memory.
    I suggest turning the phone off when ever you plan to remove/swap SD Card.

Feedback Score
    okay thanks

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    Nize going mike i just got my esteem gonna try it out

Musician and Producer at chosen-1-records check out some of my work @ http://soundcloud.com/chosen-1-records

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I have 2 questions Mikestoolz,

1. Is there any other app (free) you can do this process with other then "Root Explorer"?
    2. What is the exact file location that i need to go to, in order to copy then paste this new file?

*Edit*
    I tried to use ASTRO file manager to "replace" the file you linked, but it gives me this error; java.io.FileNotFoundException:/system/etc/vold.fstab (Read-only file system) - Do you happen to know why im getting this Mike?

In a cardboard box off Julie Tuttle Causeway
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Astro does not let you change from R/W to R/O(overwrite)
    It is like looking thru your computer using Internet Explorer and url:file:C:\
    It just shows the drive, not like using Explorer where you can change the file's property settings....like you can in Root Explorer. Just drop the dime for the program. It's worth it and the best thing is it forever. I put it on 3 phones once I bought it.

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    if u need the app just message me. we not allowed to share or discuss warez on the forum

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Ah... I See.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast