Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Transferring a TOR from someone else - is there a new Rogers policy?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble.tea View Post

Makes sense to me., but where did catch wind of this exactly? I've never heard of this obligation.
    This started when they started auditing in early 2011. Reps where using lines "too rich", "I'm suppose to report your line", "you should not be receiving","I'm suppose to report the line for review', etc..

Reps are telling people about auditing and notifying them that they should be reported but being nice and not now ( scare tactic ). If i rep didn't mention this, then this would not be a obligation....or infact be mentioned at all.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skanji View Post
    VERY messed. My current iphone plan with Rogers gives me 6g with 200 min, cd etc for $45 taxes in. I want to add another iphone for my wife at even the $55 mark. Do I have any chance at all now that TORs are being outlawed???

What would you guys do in my position? I have one other line plus internet and tv with Rogers too (about $200/mo). but planning on killing internet and tv this time next year as I've had it with Rogers...
    Before we assume "outlawed"

Let me see what you are trying todo...break down

* You have a line for $45 taxes in.

* You want to add line for your wife @ $55
    -> You are trying to take a TOR over from someone thats has the plan wanted under $55
    ( yes/no )
    --YES -> how many remaining months on ter,? Or are you trying todo a HUP on said line as well trying to keep the $55 plan.....

--NO -> unknown, unless you are confusing a TOR with adding a new line and want RET offers on it same as your other line....

Or are you trying to copy your plan to a new TOR'd line...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyz View Post
    Reps where using lines "too rich",
    Heh, I've gotten this one oodles of times.

My favourite is "I'm going to report your account to Head Office." (Knock yourself out there, champ.)

Reps are telling people about auditing and notifying them that they should be reported but being nice and not now ( scare tactic ).
    Hmmm, preying upon people's ignorance.

Sounds like a bully tactic, to me.

Scummy company is as scummy company does.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If Telus could beat your plan, that's something for every Rogers customer to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Treatz View Post
    i went to Telus based on my needs and their pricing structure
    For sale: MacBook Pro 15" flawless[/URL]

Previous feedback system: HowEver

New feedback (more elsewhere): HowEver

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep, shortly before I left Rogers, I called in to see whether I could consolidate my call display into a value pack that included voicemail, and convert the $8 credit on the call display into a $8 value pack credit. The rep talked to me as though she thought I was a kid asking for free candy in a candy store. She said I was lucky to have the plan I did, that she doesn't offer nearly as good deals as this, and that I'd best just leave it be. She basically looked down on me because of a plan which had been legitimately offered to me.

Of course, while Rogers does need to make a substantial profit - they're a business after all - I understand that providing wireless service costs basically pennies. I mean, Skype offers unlimited U.S. and Canada calling for $3/MO, so I definitely didn't feel too privileged to pay $50 for the unlimited plan.

These sorts of tactics on their part make me very glad that I left, especially before this new policy of denying TORs for legitimately offered plans was introduced - if indeed it was introduced.

Device(s)
    iPhone4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    Yep, shortly before I left Rogers, I called in to see whether I could consolidate my call display into a value pack that included voicemail, and convert the $8 credit on the call display into a $8 value pack credit. The rep talked to me as though she thought I was a kid asking for free candy in a candy store. She said I was lucky to have the plan I did, that she doesn't offer nearly as good deals as this, and that I'd best just leave it be. She basically looked down on me because of a plan which had been legitimately offered to me.

Of course, while Rogers does need to make a substantial profit - they're a business after all - I understand that providing wireless service costs basically pennies. I mean, Skype offers unlimited U.S. and Canada calling for $3/MO, so I definitely didn't feel too privileged to pay $50 for the unlimited plan.

These sorts of tactics on their part make me very glad that I left, especially before this new policy of denying TORs for legitimately offered plans was introduced - if indeed it was introduced.
    This thread proves Rogers is going downhill, I mean why bother threatening to leave,when you can go over to Virgin mobile/koodo or the new guys and get a better deal with no haggling or begging.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^Yup very true. And recently I can't even say, "Rogers has a great network, so that's a good reason to pay a premium for their services." Their network is hiccupping more and more frequently. I'm on Bell now and let me tell you, the Bellus network is pretty darn solid. I'd say quality is almost on par with a landline, VOIP works flawlessly (on Rogers it was unusable due to high latency), and no dropped calls or dead zones as of yet. Just my two cents!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by z24gta View Post
    This thread proves Rogers is going downhill, I mean why bother threatening to leave,when you can go over to Virgin mobile/koodo or the new guys and get a better deal with no haggling or begging.
    Bingo. As in other cases, it's a case of trying to see what they can get away with. People stay, so I guess they made a good gamble. No one ever accused Rogers of trying to give the best value for a dollar.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Carrier(s)
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    ^Yup very true. And recently I can't even say, "Rogers has a great network, so that's a good reason to pay a premium for their services." Their network is hiccupping more and more frequently. I'm on Bell now and let me tell you, the Bellus network is pretty darn solid. I'd say quality is almost on par with a landline, VOIP works flawlessly (on Rogers it was unusable due to high latency), and no dropped calls or dead zones as of yet. Just my two cents!
    I agree with that datadude. I never had bell as my carriers in the past, had rogers and fido only, then used wind and mobilicity for some time but now BELL. And I'm blown away with how solid and robust the network really is. No comparison with any of my past carriers.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeiphone View Post
    I agree with that datadude. I never had bell as my carriers in the past, had rogers and fido only, then used wind and mobilicity for some time but now BELL. And I'm blown away with how solid and robust the network really is. No comparison with any of my past carriers.
    me too. I don't use Bell, but have a PC Mobile SIM on the Bell network and no matter where I go data is fast and solid and the voice connection is clear. With my main Fido SIM, data is almost non-existent at time near my house and voice calls are choppy. Even at work, a few hundred feet from a Rogers tower, I will often get tired of crap voice quality and swap in my PC SIM (when it has funds) and at home I forward to my house line frequently. My friend with Bell doesn't even connect his iPhone to his home wifi because his data connection is so solid, while I always connect to his wifi when i am there or I'll have basically no data.

I always bought the line that Rogers having EDGE as a fallback was a benefit of Rogers. But in really, it is a necessity for Rogers because their 3G network sucks so badly. I never knew Rogers network was so bad until I tried others. Might give Wind a try next year if I can find a cheap AWS smartphone. Wind's network might be limited, but at least they don't charge premium prices for bargain basement service like Rogers.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I always find it so interesting to hear about the network issues. Where do you guys live? I'm in Mississauga and I work in the downtown core, and have had Rogers service since 2005 - not one dropped call ever, no dead zones, full service even in my basement, etc. I had Fido before Rogers, and Bell before that, and always had problems with people being able to hear me / fuzzy or echoing voice, etc.

But anyway, in regards to the OP, I'm not sure why Rogers would make you drop the discounts when doing a TOR. It seems to me like if the choices are: let a customer cancel a line, or let the customer transfer that line to someone else (who might not want it if the discounts aren't there), it makes clear financial sense for Rogers to keep the line open/as it is, and it makes sense to the customer to get a good deal.

Sounds fishy to me.
    "You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change circumstances, seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of." - Jim Rohn

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishWake View Post

But anyway, in regards to the OP, I'm not sure why Rogers would make you drop the discounts when doing a TOR. It seems to me like if the choices are: let a customer cancel a line, or let the customer transfer that line to someone else (who might not want it if the discounts aren't there), it makes clear financial sense for Rogers to keep the line open/as it is, and it makes sense to the customer to get a good deal.

Sounds fishy to me.
    I suppose their way of looking at it is that the ECF is there for a reason. If you want to cancel, then pay the ECF or wait it out. If you want to TOR, the person taking it either takes it without discounts or not at all. If they don't, then we are back to, either you stay or pay the ECF. Rogers loses nothing but goodwill.

I think your reasoning is more sound and would do more to keep accounts open for the long term. But Rogers these days is all about revenue in the short term, customer satisfaction be damned. That mentality is more likely to be convinced of the other line of reason. I think it is going to cost them in the long run.

One could have the same debate over the increase in the HUP timing allowance. One line of thought would be to squeeze as much as they can get away with and only allow HUPs after 30 months. This decreases their costs, but carries the very real risk that a customer might realize, if they only have 6 months to go anyway, maybe it would be a good idea to wait it out entirely and then shop around for the best plan for the phone with all carriers. This reasoning they risks losing long term customers for short term gain. The other argument might be that since 3 year contracts are not necessary to re-coup subsidy, then it is no real loss to allow HUPs at 24 months and has the major advantage to the carrier of another 3 year lock-in. We know which option Rogers has chosen for now. Maybe the 'new' TOR policy isn't so out of line, given Rogers' thinking these days.

Oh, and I am in KW. Live 5 minutes from the RIM/UW campuses and work in the middle of the RIM campus, so one might think I would have stellar coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Bingo. As in other cases, it's a case of trying to see what they can get away with. People stay, so I guess they made a good gamble. No one ever accused Rogers of trying to give the best value for a dollar.
    Rogers is the most expensive carrier for in market plans.when you factor in the grrf.

Feedback Score
    I haven't heard anything about reps not being allowed to carry credits over with TORs, though credits are now supposed to be removed when implementing any sort of plan change.

My advice for most people right now is that if you have a plan and credits and they're not expiring in the next year, just sit tight for now. I imagine that things will swing back the other way, but it's going to take some time... Either that or Rogers is committed to an upswing in churn if it means ARPU stays the same, who knows. The long term viability of Mobilicity and Wind will have an impact, of course.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishWake View Post
    I always find it so interesting to hear about the network issues. Where do you guys live? I'm in Mississauga and I work in the downtown core, and have had Rogers service since 2005 - not one dropped call ever, no dead zones, full service even in my basement, etc. I had Fido before Rogers, and Bell before that, and always had problems with people being able to hear me / fuzzy or echoing voice, etc.
    You know that Fido IS Rogers, right?

As for the rest of the comment, I'm in Mississauga too and I drop calls on a daily basis. Multiple times a day actually. My device (iPhone 4 in great condition) isn't the problem, I'm located right by Square One so location isn't (or shouldn't be) the problem. The problem is their network.

What's more, I frequently have the problem of having full bars and yet being unable to send or receive calls, or unable to send or receive texts, or unable to use data. I have experienced this on multiple devices. Rogers network is utter garbage, but thanks to the CRTC's crap policies we don't really have much freedom to figure out what works best.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast