Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Current Rogers HUP eligibility requirements?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Current Rogers HUP eligibility requirements?

Hey guys, sorry in advance if there's a sticky or FAQ that's current on this, but I did a quick search and there were too many HUP threads to find relevant info.

My brother is 2 years into his 3 year contract and wants to HUP to an iPhone 4s (his 3GS is in VERY rough shape...). He has a lot of heavy options on his account so he ends up spending upwards of $120 a month with them. I know that Rogers used to have a formula that looked at how much you spend per month and how many months since your last HUP to calculate your new eligibility, is that still the case? Because he went into a store and they told him their policy changed in May and now regardless of monthly spending you have to wait 2 1/2 years for a HUP or pay an early HUP fee of $90. Is all of this true, or is there a way around the $90 fee?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah unfortunately they keep lengthening the time before which customers are eligible for a hardware upgrade. For iPhones, I believe it unfortunately is now 2.5 years as you describe.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    2 1/2 years is ludicrous. If you look at the Canadian mobile phone market vs the rest of the world, I don't think things are as bad as they used to be... but these three year contracts are completely ludicrous. At least early HUPs made it bearable, but having to wait 2 1/2 years is crazy... and clearly they're HUPing people with 6 months just to keep us from jumping ship. I totally understand and appreciate that they need to balance out the hardware subsidies through customer retention, but 3 years really is just too much. If contracts had to be that long to subsidize their costs the rest of the world would all be on three year contracts as well, and they aren't.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Believe me, I agree with you 110%. If you're going to lock someone into a three-year contract and charge such ridiculous rates as we pay here, at least provide decent hardware. There is no way that a person can expect to buy a phone and have it meet their needs for 2.5 years, on a heavy-duty voice and data plan.

But this just seems to be the way it is here, at least for now.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ^How much more decent does our hardware need to be? Canadian carriers now sell devices which are rated amongst the best in the world...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    ^How much more decent does our hardware need to be? Canadian carriers now sell devices which are rated amongst the best in the world...
    The rest of the WORLD uses 2year max contracts, hardware is built and designed to be replaced by then, 3 year contracts go against the grain and leave us the odd man out. 2.5 years? Really? Just silly.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    The rest of the WORLD uses 2year max contracts, hardware is built and designed to be replaced by then, 3 year contracts go against the grain and leave us the odd man out. 2.5 years? Really? Just silly.
    Apparently Canadian carriers are special. They need to have longer contracts and higher prices than the rest of the world (and then have the nerve to add HUP fees on top to 'cover costs'). I am not sure if they ever had them, but in the UK, their regulators went as far as to prohibit carriers from taking advantage of their position with 3 year lock ins because they recognized it was only meant to shaft consumers.

I guess the Canadian carrier philosophy is 'whatever you can get away with'. No wonder they are so afraid of foreign investment. Those laws were meant to protect Canadian companies not to protect obscene profiteering, so they fully deserve it if foreign ownership laws are relaxed. If you take advantage of or abuse an artificial bubble of protection in order to gouge, then you should forfeit those protections. Sucks for the employees that will no doubt be impacted if foreign companies are allowed more operational freedom here, but they can thank their employers for that.
    Last edited by ceredon; 11-30-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    OP, it's probable that when the contract was entered into, that Rog had on their website that your bro could HUP after 2 yrs (not 2.5).

see:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3#post14386933

If your bro wants to push it (maybe even into a CCTS complaint) I predict success. But Rog will fight you tooth and nail to avoid meeting the promises they made. Scummy company.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah that (mobilicity?) guy nailed it when he questioned why if our carriers are so awesome that they don't even consider expanding outside our borders. 3 year contracts don't fly in many other places than here.

Can't wait for them to revolutionize the Canadian mobile industry with 4 and 5 year contracts lol.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pnjunction View Post

Can't wait for them to revolutionize the Canadian mobile industry with 4 and 5 year contracts lol.
    You laugh, but do you think they aren't considering them?

I fully expect zoned and time of day metered data to come down the pipe someday as well. Rogers will be first and Bellus will obey. Fido/Rogers/Chatr invented zoned voice after all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BellVictim View Post
    OP, it's probable that when the contract was entered into, that Rog had on their website that your bro could HUP after 2 yrs (not 2.5).

see:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3#post14386933

If your bro wants to push it (maybe even into a CCTS complaint) I predict success. But Rog will fight you tooth and nail to avoid meeting the promises they made. Scummy company.
    HUPing is not in the ToS or any paperwork signed so he has nothing to stand on.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You guys keep forgetting economies of scale applies here.
    Canadian carriers pay a lot more for the phones than their US or worldwide counterparts because they have far more customers than we do. It's easier to get a lower price from a manufacturer when they're going to buy 10x as many phones up front. Therefore the subsidy given to the customer is a lot lower, which then means the term can also be lower.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KRZR101 View Post
    The 'leg to stand' on would be the advertised benefit of being able to upgrade after 24 months. Just because Rogers didn't include it in their ToS doesn't except them from consumer protection and/or contract laws. Bait and switch is illegal, as is failing to honour inducements offered to gain a contract.

How come people always want to believe Rogers is above the law?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    You guys keep forgetting economies of scale applies here.
    Canadian carriers pay a lot more for the phones than their US or worldwide counterparts because they have far more customers than we do. It's easier to get a lower price from a manufacturer when they're going to buy 10x as many phones up front. Therefore the subsidy given to the customer is a lot lower, which then means the term can also be lower.
    If that is true, they certainly don't pay 50% more, which is what the effective justification would be in that case. And that would be assuming the same monthly rates, which of course they aren't, they are higher here than elsewhere. I would guessimate that if they pay more, it is in the range if 5-10% more. But, I don't think they pay much, if any, more. They are large enough that they can negotiate similar prices.

Looking for reasons they charge more and require longer terms is a bit silly, when all you have to look at is their annual reports. They are the most profitable wireless companies in the world for a reason. It's easy to be the most profitable when you operate in an environment where you charge the most, have the most onerous terms and control the regulators.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KRZR101 View Post
    Incorrect.

The leg to stand on originates from the rights of a cx due to the SA.

The SA includes both the "Terms" (aka the ToS) and the "Materials" (~ everything that Rog publishes).

As I demonstrated with the screenshot, Rog published that a cx could HUP after 24 mos (and this publication was only removed in ~ Apr 2011).

So if a cx last renewed on or before Apr 2011, they IMO have a legal right to the expectation of the 24-mos HUP being honoured.

Let me know if you need further explanation (but please do familiarize yourself with the SA, ToS & Materials first! : )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast