Thread: Is your iPhone in the wrong time zone since the iOS 5 update?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

Is your iPhone in the wrong time zone since the iOS 5 update?

The iPhones in our house all have us in "Calgary" instead of Regina with the time set automatically. Do once DST is off tomorrow, our phones are going to be the wrong time. We'll have to turn off automatic time setting for now I suppose.

Anyone else noticed this since iOS 5? We're with Telus but I'm wanting to know if SaskTel users are having the same issue.

Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I'm having the same problem on Sasktel. Automatic time zone defaults to Calgary. Time was off by an hour this morning. I had to use manual settings for Saskatoon, but I'd prefer to be on system time.

Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    I did a full power off. The auto time zone had changed to Winnipeg when I turned the phone back on. Automatic system time is now correct.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I checked my iPad this morning and it was fine, but I have cellular data turned off for it. I turned that on, even though I don't currently have a plan, and then it changed the auto time zone to Winnipeg. My iPad has a Rogers sim. Guess I could have checked that last night to rule out it wasn't a SaskTel and/or Telus issue.

Restarting or resetting my phone or iPad does not resolve the issue for me.

Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    My iPad was ok this morning as well. I also do not have Sim installed, so 3G is disabled. The auto time defaults to Regina, no matter what I set manually. I'm not really sure how that is happening.

Did you try disabling then re-enabling 3G on iPhone then doing power off reset? I tried a number of things this morning before doing the power off reset, so I'm not really sure what worked. I am on Sasktel, so that could also be why it's working for me and not you. If it is Telus, then I imagine they will do a network fix soon. It looks like they have to use Winnipeg when we are on Central Standard Time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pouda99 View Post
    My iPad was ok this morning as well. I also do not have Sim installed, so 3G is disabled. The auto time defaults to Regina, no matter what I set manually. I'm not really sure how that is happening.

Did you try disabling then re-enabling 3G on iPhone then doing power off reset? I tried a number of things this morning before doing the power off reset, so I'm not really sure what worked. I am on Sasktel, so that could also be why it's working for me and not you. If it is Telus, then I imagine they will do a network fix soon. It looks like they have to use Winnipeg when we are on Central Standard Time.
    My Telus iPhone has me in the Calgary time zone. My iPad sim is Rogers, and that's the one that has me in Winnipeg. So, it's not a Telus issue since my Rogers device does it as well.

I've tried turning off 3G, turning off data, airplane mode on/off, restarting iPhone, resetting iPhone, nothing works. I keep ending up in Calgary.

Seems like lots of folks in the U.S. are having the issue as well.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Telus UMTS roamers in Saskatchewan use only SaskTel's RAN network, and they use Telus's switches (MSSs). Time zone and time settings are sent to the handset from the MSS.

Telus currently has their MSS set incorrectly for Saskatchewan since the time change. They have it setup for GMT -07:00 DST off instead of GMT -06:00 DST off. SaskTel has notified Telus of this, but it has not been corrected thus far.

The iPhone, BlackBerry and other smartphones also have their own DST settings internally that sometimes have a hard time understanding Saskatchewan time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    sven_1699, while that info is interesting it doesn't explain why my iPhone has me in the Calgary time zone, does it? Shouldn't it show me as Regina, but with the wrong time?

Also, my Rogers device is also wrong. It has me in the Winnipeg time zone. And lots of other folks all over the internet ate having the same problem, and they are on U.S. or in other countries.

Also, my iPhone had me incorrect time zone *before* the time change even took place. Sometime after my update to iOS 5. I just didn't notice immediately since Calgary was the same time as us.

Lastly, non-iPhones seem to have the correct time in SK (well on my sample size of 4 non-iphones in our family being correct and 4 iphones in our family being incorrect) so if the time was set incorrectly wouldn't everyone have the incorrect time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by silverescape; 11-08-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Are SaskTel folks still experiencing this issue? Has anyone called in to see if there is something that can be fixed? Telus isn't doing anything for me as they say I am the only one with the issue. It is all the iPhones on our account and 2 on a different account (friend's account) that I am aware of in the very least. My dad's LG phone is the correct time zone.

Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    My phone is showing the correct time. I have auto on and it picks Calgary as my time zone. While the city is obviously in the wrong province, the time is correct.

From what I can tell, the system knows from the time signal that we are -6 UTC (we are always -6 UTC). The reference city right now for -6 UTC is Calgary. The other half of the year, the reference city for -6 UTC is Winnipeg. When in auto mode, the system appears to pick the approprite reference city based on the time signal of -6 UTC. The approprite reference city is what gets displayed. Regina seems not to be considered a reference city for -6 UTC for the purposes of auto mode.

In manual mode, You can pick Regina because it's programmed on the list. It will select the correct time of -6 UTC when you pick it. This is fine if you stay in Sask (most parts anyway) but the time will not adjust automatically when you travel to a new time zone. You will have to do it manually by picking an appropriate city from the list.

So, I'm now used to being in the "Calgary" reference time zone for half the year and in the "Winnipeg" reference time zone for the other half. I do a power reset when the time changes twice a year to pick up the new setting. Sometimes there is a system lag after a time change.

This is how I interpret what is happening. I'm open to other interpretations, particularly from technical experts.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. That sounds about right. SaskTel is always sending GMT -6 with no DST adjustment. How the phone interprets that is completely up to the phone. In some cases the phone will try to be smart and make its own DST adjustments based on the date, as opposed to just listening to what the network says. Let's pretend that it's midnight on the day of the time change. The network doesn't continually broadcast time information. So, the phone makes its own adjustment. After a few hours, or after a reregistration of the phone on the network, the phone receives new time information and may decide to revert the DST adjustment it made and obey the network time. Some do. Some don't. Unfortunately, we're just in a weird timezone that is hard for some phones to detect.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    We're not in a weird time zone though. We're CST year-round. You'd think that would be easy.

SaskTel just needs to set the reference city as "Regina", UTC-6, and leave it and never change it and it will work. It's using a CST/CDT time zone and changing to MST/MDT in the summer right now and that's way more difficult and confusing.

SaskTel should find out what AT&T and T-Mobile do in Arizona, where there are areas that are MST year round. Hawaii also uses standard time year round.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The thing is, prior to iOS 5, the phone and iPad (different cell carriers) both had me in Regina. iOS 5 is what hooched things. I had to switch to manual, which then the time drifted...grrr. If you didn't switch to manual, recurring events would be all effed up as when you looked in the future (past DST, the time would be off). And looking in the past would have events with the wrong time as well. Annoying.

That being said, with the iOS 6 update, my iPhone 4 put me back in Regina on automatic time. My iPad can't take iOS 6, but it said there was a carrier update when I turned on cellular (although I don't have a plan purchased), and after the carrier update, the time zone is correct on it too.

So I'm happy. Even if it took ages to get fixed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Don't declare it fixed until DST ends in early November and your time stays correct.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Don't declare it fixed until DST ends in early November and your time stays correct.
    Ha ha, ya, no kidding! I'll report back after DST and see if I stay in Regina time zone. Fingers crossed!