Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Now I am having even more difficulty understanding the WP7 love over Meego.....

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Now I am having even more difficulty understanding the WP7 love over Meego.....

since the official announcement of the new Windows phone 7 devices
    I've looked over the specs...
    before, it was just the software that had the N9 beating out the Lumia 800....
    now, even hardware wise the N9 is beating it's "twin".....
    and folks say to give WP7 time to evolve...
    well, think of what Meego could evolve into over that same
    amount of time...
    the industry talks of the focus on developement and apps...
    there are no groups who like to code and develope like linux developers...
    only BSD guys may be more passionate...
    I look at what XDA has done w/ Android and I just think of
    how a few developer contests on the ubuntu, mint, suse, or fedora forums
    could have sparked and ignited a wild fire....
    it's like night and day when you see the developement for android and
    the developement for WP7 on the same forum.....
    not even a girl wiling to make video reviews of WP7 apps
    with a camara angle flaunting her cleavage can get many excited about
    WP7...
    that's sad, man....

I think I've ranted enough now....

long live Tizen, Meltemi, or what ever the heck we're doing now...
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Device(s)
    N9 & N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think once Windows Phone finally flops we may see the return of a Linux based OS to Nokia. The N9 is really a Maemo device so I wouldn't be surprised to see Maemo/Tizen or Meltemi become the OS of choice. They are going to have to do something once they see that people generally don't care for Windows phones (at least they haven't so far).

I was left far underwhelmed by Nokia World this year. It was nice, however, to see the white N9 take much of the spotlight away from the Lumia phones (despite Nokia's best efforts).

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Yeah so glad the N9 got a lot of attention!

As for Windows Phone, well, Nokia is really investing in it and they seem to have plans to get into it now so that in the summer they will dominate the WP8 devices. That seems to be their goal... to be well into the ecosystem that when WP8 rolls around, they'll be ready.

I feel like the Ace will be their better device, but I also feel like the Lumia would've done really well if launched over the summer. Luckily, countries (except the US) are getting it now so it still works out. But it doesn't blow anyone away except Gizmodo apparently haha (for some reason they don't know what Nokia Maps is ... they said they would rather have google maps when they haven't even used it yet... and how could you not, it's been around forever.... so they lose credibility in my mind, but they also do something like that and the commenters rip them for it... /endrant).

I think to dominate the market, Nokia has to release an N95 type flagship that blows everything out of the water. The N9 could have been it. No review hates the device, the only thing they long for is a deeper, long term ecosystem... otherwise it really would be the greatest device Nokia has produced since the N95.

But I'm in the same boat. Nokia World proved to me how much I wanted an N9, and only made it more so. Can't wait to get it as my next phone. Hopefully I can keep it long term. I didn't get to keep my N900 long term (though I wanted to) simply because I didnt have 3G on AT&T. Now I have no excuses.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Windows Phone won't flop, as much as you guys wish it'll happen.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Feedback Score
    4% market share is already a flop

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    N9 & N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Windows Phone won't flop, as much as you guys wish it'll happen.
    I don't "wish" for it to happen. If someone takes joy in using a Windows Phone device then that is great and wouldn't want to take that away from anyone. I like options and the more mobile OS's the better.

I believe Windows Phone will fail. It has been an abysmal failure so far and I don't think these Nokia phones will do anything to change that. I do believe that once the end of WP7 comes we will see more Linux based operating systems move in.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Well they want to move to WP8, so I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't think it will fail so to speak, but I don't think it's ever going to reach first place. But it will sell more than the WP7 devices being sold now and that's what Microsoft wants. Microsoft just wants to be relevant in the smartphone arena and now they will be.

I don't see myself buying a WP device though, Nokia or not. I would have to hate the N9 haha.. and that's not happening.

Device(s)
    Sharp SH-01C
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i'm not sure what nokia and MS is thinking. the nokia windows phone is a joke. hardware wise, it's like a 1 1/2 year old phone but with the best camera but 2nd to N8. the one thing they have going is the software that they are running, and WP mango is very very smooth easy to use. i turns of functionality, i would rank mango over android right now just because the software on the WP is so optimized and fluid while android always lags somewhat and feels just a tad behind.

but in terms of hardware, the new nokia windows phone is a pure joke.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Demati View Post
    I don't "wish" for it to happen. If someone takes joy in using a Windows Phone device then that is great and wouldn't want to take that away from anyone. I like options and the more mobile OS's the better.

I believe Windows Phone will fail. It has been an abysmal failure so far and I don't think these Nokia phones will do anything to change that. I do believe that once the end of WP7 comes we will see more Linux based operating systems move in.
    It has been a resounding success so far. App development and sales are better than Android at the same point in their development. Windows Phone sales over the first year have been far better than Android sales over the first year. Windows Phone app development is happening even faster than iOS app development over the first year. There's a reason analysts are predicting Windows Phone will displace iOS, and possibly Android, within the next 4 years.

Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    It has been a resounding success so far. App development and sales are better than Android at the same point in their development. Windows Phone sales over the first year have been far better than Android sales over the first year. Windows Phone app development is happening even faster than iOS app development over the first year. There's a reason analysts are predicting Windows Phone will displace iOS, and possibly Android, within the next 4 years.
    this. everyone likes to point out WP7's current marketshare, but it's only been around for about a year. the iPhone didn't really take off until the 3g was released. windows phone will be around for a while, and it will do well. As someone who used windows phone for 30 days as a primary, I can say it isn't for me, and I'm mad at the direction Nokia is going in, but I can understand why they did it. The N9 will serve me well for a while.

Feedback Score
    We've been over this before numerous times, it doesn't matter how the hardware compares or the elegance of the UI, MeeGo was a dead end. Yes, Linux fosters a lot of homebrew development but that isn't enough to sustain an ecosystem. While it's nice that there a bunch of ppl writing apps like fMobi and TwimGo in their momma's basement, that's only because Facebook and Twitter thought that developing official apps for MeeGo would be a waste of time. It's the same fate that befell webOS which I spoke about in my latest editorial: http://www.cellouts.net/2011/10/hist...-webos-failed/

I went out and bought an N9 to review for CellOuts.net and I'm really conflicted on whether I'm going to keep it afterwards cuz it's a wonderful device but the fact remains that MeeGo doesn't have a future. Nokia nor Stephen Elop aren't to blame for that though, they just couldn't attract developers. Check it, they couldn't get developers to write apps in Qt when Symbian had >40% of the global market so how could they get them to write Qt apps for a brand new platform that had only previously been used on a niche product (Internet tablets)?

Carrier(s)
    Soup Cans and String Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A few points...

1. MeeGo was not intended to be a major player (what did they call it...a "disruptive operating system"?)

2. Love it or hate it, Microsoft has the resources and cash needed to make WP7 competitive

3. WP7 isn't a handset specifications race. The N9 has a .2" bigger screen but 400 less MHz in the processor versus the Lumia. What matters more? As Howard showed in his video from Nokia World, the Lumia 800 is noticeably faster than an HTC Surround. My Focus runs smoothly; should I care about not having a dual core?

4. Homebrew stuff...neat, cool, can't wait for a reliable file folder system for WP7.5 to arrive. But how many small publishers make it big? How many more Angry Birds are out there? Add to that my experience with homebrew apps for WM6, and that makes it hard for me to decide to run back to an "open ecosystem." The "walled garden" app market has its advantages and shortcomings.

5. With two major OS upgrades in about a year, MS is serious about this. The Marketplace is up to 30k+ apps, I think...people are coding for it. That there are 6-ish new devices coming shortly (this weekend through Q1 of next year) shows that Samsung, HTC, and Nokia are in it, and in it with 2-3 handsets per brand.

Don't get me wrong, MeeGo is amazing looking--elegance in simplicity, if you will. That's one thing I really like about WP7 which reminds me of MeeGo...swipe left and right to get around. Manufacturers and software makers need capital. I'd be all over MeeGo if it had a future--even with only a 5% market share.
    Windows Phone.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy85 View Post
    We've been over this before numerous times, it doesn't matter how the hardware compares or the elegance of the UI, MeeGo was a dead end. Yes, Linux fosters a lot of homebrew development but that isn't enough to sustain an ecosystem. While it's nice that there a bunch of ppl writing apps like fMobi and TwimGo in their momma's basement, that's only because Facebook and Twitter thought that developing official apps for MeeGo would be a waste of time. It's the same fate that befell webOS which I spoke about in my latest editorial: http://www.cellouts.net/2011/10/hist...-webos-failed/

I went out and bought an N9 to review for CellOuts.net and I'm really conflicted on whether I'm going to keep it afterwards cuz it's a wonderful device but the fact remains that MeeGo doesn't have a future. Nokia nor Stephen Elop aren't to blame for that though, they just couldn't attract developers. Check it, they couldn't get developers to write apps in Qt when Symbian had >40% of the global market so how could they get them to write Qt apps for a brand new platform that had only previously been used on a niche product (Internet tablets)?
    Well you have to look at Symbian's roadmap. Developers knew that Android and iOS were gaining heavy ground so they went for that. The hardware alone for Symbian devices kept it from being appealing to the Android and iOS users of today. The marketshare was obviously there but the high-end devices just didn't have enough appeal.

It's unfortunate though that a device's success is defined by the number of apps available for it. The N900 didn't have many apps for it as well but I guess the difference for it was that people had a high outlook for it even though it wasn't a mass-marketed device. I think the N9 is in the same boat. It will have a huge dev community, but there are obviously less devices available which is what contributes to the "dead on arrival" idea (not including the huge push towards WP rather than Meego).

But yes, the N9 will only fit a niche community and will never be a dominant device. So there's no question that it will be a specific market device. With that said, I look forward to owning one. I'm sure if I was a heavy app user I wouldn't be able to get an N9. But I barely use a handful of apps on my iphone. Others will be the opposite.

I may try a Nokia WP after WP8 releases. I want to say I will try it when more apps release, but like I said, I'm not a huge app user so I don't see myself trying it for that. I get too bored with devices so the basic functionality that goes into the phone is what keeps me interested. Not everyone is that way, however, and require the apps to keep them interested which is completely understandable.

I don't get too big on hardware specs. All that matters is that the software runs really well on the hardware. So a device may be underpowered relative to what's available on the market, but as long as it runs the software well then that's what matters. Firmware updates obviously help this. Mango seems to run really well on Lumia and that is great. Meego has some lag on the N9 apparently, but firmware updates will fix it. Even iOS 5 runs well on a 3GS. I think optimization of software is key as opposed to ridiculous specs and poor battery life. The N9 would have been even better with a better camera (12mp, 1080p), though it would have added bulk. I doubt I would complain though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwindexe View Post
    It's unfortunate though that a device's success is defined by the number of apps available for it. The N900 didn't have many apps for it as well but I guess the difference for it was that people had a high outlook for it even though it wasn't a mass-marketed device. I think the N9 is in the same boat. It will have a huge dev community, but there are obviously less devices available which is what contributes to the "dead on arrival" idea (not including the huge push towards WP rather than Meego).
    Here's part of the debate I'm struggling with. I don't believe it is the sheer number of apps that define's a platform's success but rather, the kind of apps available. I'm gonna go write about it then share the article with y'all

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Will definitely look out for it. I will agree, the kind of apps available are more important. I'd rather have a handful of outstanding apps that I use daily than 50 apps I only ever open once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast