Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: iMessage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    What is conference?
    if he means multi-party messaging, then iMessage has that. If your messaging group is all iMessage, then when each replies it goes to everyone in the convo.
    Cheers,
    Fred Liu

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    I'm done using iMessage, I've shut it off.

It is just too unreliable, it doesn't always fall back to SMS when it should, and sometimes I get the messages 5-10 minutes late because either I or the recipient has a data connection, but the phone is unable to actually send/receive data because the signal is too weak.
    Also, it doesn't work at concerts and large sporting events because AT&T's data becomes completely crippled and the phone doesn't figure out to fall back to SMS (again, the phone thinks it has data, it just can't use it.)

I wish I could disable receiving iMessages to my phone number (so I always send/receive SMS), but keep it turned on for messages to my itunes ID (just as if I were on an iPad or iPod touch.) But they don't let you do that. Once it's on, it hijacks your phone number.

It's unfortunate. I was really kind of excited for iMessage, but my wife and I are just a little fed up with it not always working.

This is pretty interesting. I haven't heard too many bad reviews of iMessage.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    I'm done using iMessage, I've shut it off.

It is just too unreliable, it doesn't always fall back to SMS when it should, and sometimes I get the messages 5-10 minutes late because either I or the recipient has a data connection, but the phone is unable to actually send/receive data because the signal is too weak.
    Also, it doesn't work at concerts and large sporting events because AT&T's data becomes completely crippled and the phone doesn't figure out to fall back to SMS (again, the phone thinks it has data, it just can't use it.)

I wish I could disable receiving iMessages to my phone number (so I always send/receive SMS), but keep it turned on for messages to my itunes ID (just as if I were on an iPad or iPod touch.) But they don't let you do that. Once it's on, it hijacks your phone number.

It's unfortunate. I was really kind of excited for iMessage, but my wife and I are just a little fed up with it not always working.
    Your account of iMessage is exactly why I just don't get people's obsession with BBM.

The fact that iMessage reverts to SMS (albeit maybe not so efficiently in some cases) is a big benefit, but at the end of the day it relies on data connection that can be unstable depending on location.

Even if you were to shut iMessage off at large events, SMS usually doesn't work very well in those situations either. I can recall almost every time getting a flurry of SMS and missed call notifications.

I have iMessage on, but my GF is the only one I know with an iOS 5 iPhone, and it's been working quite well. Having said that, we've got incredible reception and data throughput in Toronto on Rogers/Fido. The big benefit is that we don't have MMS plans and they're 50 cents per message, so a dollar every time between us. iMessage has eliminated that cost for us, which can sometimes be substantial.

Overall, I think iMessage is a lot better than BBM, especially being able to apply multiple contact points in addition to or separate from your phone number. But just like BBM, without data throughput you're SOL.
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
    Your account of iMessage is exactly why I just don't get people's obsession with BBM.

The fact that iMessage reverts to SMS (albeit maybe not so efficiently in some cases) is a big benefit, but at the end of the day it relies on data connection that can be unstable depending on location.

Even if you were to shut iMessage off at large events, SMS usually doesn't work very well in those situations either. I can recall almost every time getting a flurry of SMS and missed call notifications.

I have iMessage on, but my GF is the only one I know with an iOS 5 iPhone, and it's been working quite well. Having said that, we've got incredible reception and data throughput in Toronto on Rogers/Fido. The big benefit is that we don't have MMS plans and they're 50 cents per message, so a dollar every time between us. iMessage has eliminated that cost for us, which can sometimes be substantial.

Overall, I think iMessage is a lot better than BBM, especially being able to apply multiple contact points in addition to or separate from your phone number. But just like BBM, without data throughput you're SOL.
    Yeah, I love the idea of iMessage. I really looking forward to it in iOS 5 and when it's working great, I love it. But I have unlimited messaging on my family plan, don't intend to get rid of it (I know too many people not on iPhones or not on iOS5) so I don't really see a benefit to using iMessage when SMS is more reliable.

Phone
    64 GB iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I love the way your names and messages are green if a person does not have an apple device and therefore, it will be sent as text or mms. And that it shows up blow if the person you are about to text is setup for iMessage the text and their names will show up blue. This let's you know when a message will be sent as an SMS Oran iMessage.

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Don't you have an incorrect word in your message? Did you mean to write "blue" or "below" instead of "blow?"

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using HowardForums
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    64 GB iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Don't you have an incorrect word in your message? Did you mean to write "blue" or "below" instead of "blow?"

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using HowardForums
    Lol, yes I did mean to say blue. Spell correct strikes again!

Feedback Score
    Can the automatic switch from iMessage to SMS be turned off for specific contacts? For example, I don't mind if it switches back and forth between iMessage and SMS for a Canadian contact, but if it's an international contact, it'll cost me a bundle for every SMS that gets sent.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flygirlk View Post
    Can the automatic switch from iMessage to SMS be turned off for specific contacts? For example, I don't mind if it switches back and forth between iMessage and SMS for a Canadian contact, but if it's an international contact, it'll cost me a bundle for every SMS that gets sent.
    Not for phone numbers. You can turn off SMS but it's all or nothing.
    However, each iPhone has by default 2 iMessage addresses. The primary one is your phone number. The second one is your Apple ID email address. And you can add as many email addresses as you want. Same for iPod Touch and iPad except they don't have a phone number (Apple ID only) and that's their default address.

So if you only send your iMessage to her Apple ID address, it will never fall be able to fall back to SMS. Just don't initiate your conversation her phone number.

The catch here that under iMessage settings you have a "Caller ID" which is their friendly term to mean the address your iMessages come from. By default that's your phone number. So when you send an iMessage to her Apple ID, it'll come form your phone number and her responses will be sent to your phone number, not your apple ID. You can change that "caller ID" to be your Apple ID or any email address you've set up for iMessage, but again that's a global setting.

Just make sure that when each of you sends each other an iMessage, always send it to the the Apple ID, don't just reply without checking who it came from. If you tap "contact" at the top of the message conversation, the address will be highlighted in blue on that contact card.

You'll have to play with it a little. Maybe you can get a conversation set up between Apple IDs without changing your "caller ID" globally. I haven't tested. Maybe if you each send to each other's Apple IDs, it's smart enough to combine that to a conversation window (shrug.)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256GB on Verizon eSIM (Get More Unlimited plan) + Mint 2nd SIM.

Phone
    64 GB iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flygirlk View Post
    There is an easier way to insure no charges. There should be an id section under iMessage. Just set your iMessage id to the email address that you have listed. You can set the iMessage to default back to SMS. This will insure that all of your iMessage people can respond back without any charges, international or not. I was using this but, people that I hadn't given my iMessage address to were freaking out, lol.

Phone
    Iphone 6 plus
    Carrier
    fido
    Feedback Score
    im using my iphone 4s and i just bought an itouch for my bro. can i setup the itouch under my account (so he can use my apps) but get his own account for imessage?
    We Are All Canucks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe you can set up the itouch with his own account and then just log in with your account from the app store to download your apps.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Phone
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matsundin View Post
    im using my iphone 4s and i just bought an itouch for my bro. can i setup the itouch under my account (so he can use my apps) but get his own account for imessage?
    iMessage (as well as FaceTime and Game Center) are tied to your Apple ID. If you use the same Apple ID, you will receive the same messages and FaceTime calls and Game Center invites/scores/etc.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phone
    64 GB iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matsundin View Post
    Yes he can use a separate ID for Gamecenter, FaceTime, and iMessage. And then he can use your ID in the app store. I have an iPad and an i4s, and I do this with them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3