Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to Verizon--sound quality seems bad

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

New to Verizon--sound quality seems bad

I just switched to Verizon from T-Mobile here in Southern CA. The sound quality is terrible! It is choppy and there seems to be this weird delay, which results in the speakers interrupting one another. I have a brand new iPhone 4s. I was using an older iPhone on T-Mobile, which sounded more realistic (but not as loud). I dont think it is my phone, as the person on a TMobile phone on the other end was hearing clicks and metallic sort of noises, which I did not hear. I talked to someone on Straight Talk yesterday--I didnt even tell him I switched providers and he asked, "what is wrong with your phone? It's all choppy". Uh, yeah, I just dropped $360 on a new phone to sound this bad!

I also had a call go straight to voice mail and not even ring. Love the phone, but am sure not impressed with Verizon's supposedly great network. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Feedback Score
    There are differences between GSM and CDMA but I've never had anyone complain about voice quality that I can recall. There is also a slight delay but it's not usually noticed unless you're standing in the same room and talking them you realize it. It shouldn't be enough to cause issues and I would think any wireless network would have this.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I too have noticed that CDMA sound quality wasn't as great as on a GSM network. I think that's just how it is. Most won't be able to notice a difference but I sure have.

However I think the decreased quality is made up for by the fact that CDMA typically has far better reception, particularly in rural areas.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBunny View Post
    I just switched to Verizon from T-Mobile here in Southern CA. The sound quality is terrible! ?
    When I'm down in SoCal, Verizon always sounds great to me. Maybe it's your new iPhone 4S, you could always do a warranty exchange.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does Verizon use half rate CODEC? Or is that only a GSM thing?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does Verizon use half rate CODEC? Or is that only a GSM thing?
    They use EVRC in some areas, which is equivalent to GSM Half Rate. I know you can go in and change it to EVRC-B or 13K on Android phones, but I don't know how you would do that in iOS.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I googled on it, but came up with nothing. You might have to get it Jailbroken to get into those settings.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Oh God, I dont want to go through the jailbreak thing *again*. I got so tired of all that baseband nonsense using my iPhone on T-Mobile. It worked beautifully, but it was a pain in the arse to keep up with. Not going there again!

I wonder if the compression is what is causing this. I was driving from Los Angeles to Palm Springs and back when I experienced it, most of the worst was on the 57 and the 605. A call in Palm Springs itself seemed pretty clear. That was one nice thing about T-Mobile, you had very little if any compression in this area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I jailbroke every iPhone I had (3G, 3GS, 4), I like taking some control back from Apple LOL I root all my Android phones too

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My parents were down in SoCal last month for a week, and they are with T-Mobile, they had issues with call quality in Covina, West Covina and Pomona. Not compression or anything like that, just signal issues and cutting in and out.

Feedback Score
    It's definitely the compression. It feels like VZW is compressing voice in more and more areas lately or at least when I had VZW. I'm with AT&T now, and it does sound quite a bit better, but honestly I hardly make calls so it's not much of a selling point to me.

I noticed the majority of the compression to be in and around areas of high usage. Even places where usage isn't bad at all, if it's near a large city, then VZW uses blanket EVRC settings apparently. =\ Not sure, just what it sounded like.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I just switched to Verizon from T-Mobile here in Southern CA. The sound quality is terrible! It is choppy and there seems to be this weird delay, which results in the speakers interrupting one another. I have a brand new iPhone 4s. I was using an older iPhone on T-Mobile, which sounded more realistic (but not as loud). I dont think it is my phone, as the person on a TMobile phone on the other end was hearing clicks and metallic sort of noises, which I did not hear. I talked to someone on Straight Talk yesterday--I didnt even tell him I switched providers and he asked, "what is wrong with your phone? It's all choppy". Uh, yeah, I just dropped $360 on a new phone to sound this bad!

I also had a call go straight to voice mail and not even ring. Love the phone, but am sure not impressed with Verizon's supposedly great network. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Only way to say for sure is if you try another Verizon phone and compare. Go to a local store and see if they have a Droid on display that you can test.

You also live in a very crowded metro area (LBC) and it's possible some of VZW's local sites are running near capacity causing the voice quality to suffer.

You and I both know that T-Mobile does not have the largest geographic coverage map when compared to the other large carriers but where they work well their voice quality is un-matched.

I actually used my T-Mobile phone today to record my voicemail greeting on my AT&T phone because it sounded that much clearer.

Good luck HB! Hope it works out.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danny.boi View Post
    Only way to say for sure is if you try another Verizon phone and compare. Go to a local store and see if they have a Droid on display that you can test.

You also live in a very crowded metro area (LBC) and it's possible some of VZW's local sites are running near capacity causing the voice quality to suffer.

You and I both know that T-Mobile does not have the largest geographic coverage map when compared to the other large carriers, but where they work well their voice quality is un-matched.

I actually used my T-Mobile phone today to record my voicemail greeting on my AT&T phone because it sounded that much clearer.

Good luck HB! Hope it works out.
    That I would have to disagree on

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (but not for long)
    Feedback Score
    I've used CDMA and GSM for years. My experience has been that CDMA has great sound quality as long as you are speaking to an adult male. However, if you are speaking with a female or a child, it sounds awful. CDMA has a great deal of background noise cancellation built into the codec, and for some reason, the engineers at Qualcomm who developed the codec categorized women and children as background noise to be cancelled. CDMA phones also tend to have sound quality issues when combined with bluetooth headphones.

GSM has always had great sound quality, even for women and children, but it tends to pick up background noise as well.

In my view, these facts, combined with the much longer battery life for GSM phones, makes them the better choice.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    *Full rate* GSM sounds good (which T-Mo uses almost exclusively). Half rate is pretty awful (which AT&T seems to use almost exclusively for some reason at least on GSM, maybe not for 3G calls.)

Besides the mentioned capacity, I've had my CDMA calls also go to pieces when I have very low signal strength. I'm guessing if these highways are so crowded the signal shouldn't be low (I could be wrong! Depending on geography and NIMBY limitations) so one check you could do is to find somewhere with a somewhat weak signal (i.e. not "5 bars") and see if the iphone has a weaker signal than the other -- it's possible it could have a faulty antenna. (Side note, can you still "hold it wrong" on the 4S? That'd turn a good signal into a weak signal, making your call go into the toilet too.)

This won't help now, but I figure in markets where VZW has the existing 850 and 1900 full, LTE will help in a while. LTE voice will obviously take calls off 1x voice, but doesn't exist yet. With the existing technology LTE will take load off EVDO as well, so eventually VZW could turn a few EVDO channels off and shift them to 1x voice traffic.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast