Thread: A few Touchpads actually shipped with Android OS installed!

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/26.950; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

HP Investigates Android TouchPads
    By Nancy Gohring, IDG News Oct 5, 2011 11:30 am

HP is investigating how several TouchPads reportedly shipped to end users running Android, instead of webOS.

Shortly after HP announced it would stop selling TouchPads and began offering the remaining tablets for US$99, reports surfaced from a few users who say they received TouchPads that run Android instead of HP's webOS software. At the same time, developers have been working on porting Android to the TouchPad, since it's uncertain how much support and development HP will dedicate to webOS in the future.

In an email to developers, HP said it never authorized the distribution of any version of Android on the TouchPad and that after a review of its manufacturing process, it believes no TouchPads were shipped by HP with Android, even by mistake. The developers reached out to HP because they believe that HP is obligated under open-source licensing terms to share the Android distribution that shipped on the TouchPads.

The email, signed by Phil Robb, director of HP's open-source program office, was posted on a developer discussion group online. HP confirmed that the email is accurate.

"We presently believe that some person or persons unknown may have facilitated the delivery of these Android-based units strictly against the policy and authorization of HP," Robb wrote.

He asked the developers for any information they could offer that would help HP track down who provided the Android TouchPads.

The developers also say they've emailed Qualcomm with a request to release the code since some versions of the Android tablets flash a QuIC logo. QuIC, or Qualcomm Innovation Center, is a Qualcomm engineering subsidiary that works on optimizing open-source software on Qualcomm products. But in an email the developers posted online, Qualcomm said the device was not manufactured or distributed by QuIC.

Qualcomm did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

HP's Robb declined to share the source code for running Android on the TouchPad but didn't appear to deny that it exists. "Regarding your specific request for source code below, I must decline at the present time. HP has never authorized the distribution of any binaries for Android in association with the HP Touchpad. Therefore, HP is not under any license obligation to provide any corresponding Android source code to you," he wrote.

The developers are continuing to try to track down where each of the Android TouchPads came from to try to determine where and by whom Android was loaded onto the tablets.

HP declined to comment further than Robb's email.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/241176/hp_investigates_android_touchpads.html

Very interesting indeed!
    Last edited by Cauchon; 10-05-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    Hay CPG. On that url you posted. Add this to it and make it a clickable link.

At the beginning of the url do this. I am going to use this ( but you use [ and on the end I will use this ) but you use this ] ok?

so do this (url)vvv.pcworld.com/article/241176/hp_investigates_android_touchpads.html(/url)
    But remember to replace the ( with [ and the ) with ] and it will turn that address in to a clickable link.

Had to remove some of the address to keep it from becoming a link. I posted from a PC it looks like you posted from your phone. In the future if you can, if you have those [ brackets] like that on your phone you can post those urls directly as a link for the rest of the members.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    Good read. Would it not be possible to just take one of the Android based HP tablets and just make a copy of the OS on it some how. If it is Android it is Linux based and they should be able to just copy the OS because of the GPL Licensing involved in the Linux OS Kernel.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/26.958; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Thanks for the info about making the link clickable. For some reason when I copy and paste an URL using opera-mini it never becomes clickable on it's own. I'll use your tip from now on. thank you.

oh, and I agree about simply making a copy. I think somebody will upload it somewhere.
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 10-08-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Feedback Score
    No problem, glad I could help

Device(s)
    RazrV3 #2 (#1 died) ...spiffy!!
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T...was Cingular...which was AT&T...huh? not as bad as the rest !! ...still, just sellin' air...
    Feedback Score
    the android for webOS is made by cyanogen and likely these were product returns that hd the mod on a separate partition which is not easy to delete and does not get deleted by a "doctoring" of the device... so...

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ho touchpad is really worth for money.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Republic
    Feedback Score
    The latest ICS alpha for the TouchPad works surprisingly well. A few things are still broken but everything is stable and runs smoothly - ICS' web browser is a huge improvement compared to the webOS one.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    HP let the code out; should make the Cyanogen's job easier (although there's no WiFi support). I really like WebOS on my Touchpad, but might eventually give dual-boot Android a go, mainly for Netflix.
    http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/0..._webos_tablet/