Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pay as you go rates are up?

Feedback Score

Pay as you go rates are up?

Just got this text

BSTFREEMSG Pay As You Go rates will go up on 10/6/11. Your rate won't increase as long as your acct remains active & you don't change plans.

Anyone know what this price change is and how much it is?
    Last edited by LargePrime; 09-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Putting the phone you want on the service you pay for is not a crime. No one has ever been convicted of it!
    No one has ever been convicted of talking about it either!

If you think I helped, please Click the star below. Unfortunately there is no "you're an idiot" button yet, but you can PM me!
    | | |
    VVV

deathtrip Guest
    Yea, the new PAYGO increase will be $0.20 per minute, and per incoming and outgoing text... and Wireless Web will go up to $0.50/day

Feedback Score
    The change plan part, does switching back and forth between paygo and $2 a day constitute a plan change? Seems like it would.

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/FRX06 via HowardForums app

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SC/Ant864 View Post
    The change plan part, does switching back and forth between paygo and $2 a day constitute a plan change? Seems like it would.

Yup, confirmed by @BoostCare on Twitter. Also turning the Web add-on off or on is considered a plan change and will trigger the increase!
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Boost is going down along with Virgin Mobile.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile, Boost Mobile(former)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Yup, confirmed by @BoostCare on Twitter. Also turning the Web add-on off or on is considered a plan change and will trigger the increase!
    My hope is the twitter rep is miss informed or wrong. I assume this would also mean if you wanted to swap you phone in the future for whatever reason you would automatically be changed to the new rates as well making illegal cloning the only option if you want to keep the current rates.

not to complain or anything but for myself I have been with Boost when it first launched with iDEN and on PAYGO for vast majority of that time. Prior to that I was a Nextel sub. I've always been a believer in and preferred the pay as you go method vs unlimited or block allowance plans even if it sometimes winds up costing you more as you pay fairly for the service you actually use. This is something that's becoming increasingly rarer in the cell industry because it often doesn't provider the higher profits margins of the unlimited/block plans the carriers like.

I do think boost data pricing was a bit low and 0.50 is more fair for them. Voice and texting was about right were it should be though.

Anyways with that said I can definitely say if my rates were to go up I will very likely be leaving Boost altogether and most likely headed to Verizon as well. Even if Verizon is more expensive then Boost's Unlimited Plan I can honestly say the service quality is not good enough to keep me at $50-$60 month due to Sprints Poor 3G Data speeds in Northern California. Only AT&T is worse and Boost/Sprint 3G is not worth it at that price point due to the slow data. Not to mention the limited Smartphone selection from Boost including the Prevail and Ultra. That is even with the included Verizon data cap vs no cap on boost(something I'm not sure will last very long). It also looks to be cheaper for me join into a Verizon family plan vs my own regular Sprint plan with 4G(WiMax) to get around the data issue.

So it seems like my long relationship with Sprint/Nextel/Boost will be coming to an end shortly if things don't positively change even though I've been a fan of the three(well realy two now) all along ah well all good things must come to an end.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Weak! My wife is going to be livid, I guess if we stay with Boost I'll put her on unlimited. Is it just me or does it seem like Sprint is running off all its legacy users and shoring the losses with profits from Boost? If that's the case I'll leave Boost just on principal.

deathtrip Guest
    I was told by boost that turning the web off/on will not constitute as a plan change so it shouldn't raise rates for current paygo customers on that alone.

Sent from my PC36100

Carrier(s)
    Soup Cans and String Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Everyone else is lowering rates, and Boost/SPG raises them? Unlimited everything minus the $10 BIS fee was fun on year-old BlackBerry devices...not so much on 2-year old BlackBerries.

I'm not affected by this change, but what are they thinking? Any other regressive policies in the works like 1GB of data for $100?

I was gearing up to switch back to AT&T prepaid anyway which, incidentally, went from 25 cents/minute to 10c/min 6-8 months ago. And a bucket of 200 texts for $5? Yes, please.

Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Boost is going down along with Virgin Mobile.
    While it's way too early to sound the bell, Sprint is doing everything they can to sink their own ship in 2011...the promise of truly unlimited data on postpaid and Boost still having generous "unlimited" data paired with Shrinkage being the exceptions.

Edit: Why don't they use this price rise to simply stop allowing users to sign up for the Paygo plan? Release something like "we're going all unlimited!" and mention that current users will remain on the 10c/10c/35c minute/text/data plan for as long as their account remains active...

They could easily spin this as anything but a price hike.
    Windows Phone.

deathtrip Guest
    1, You weren't ever suppose to get unlimited/free internet... that was a mistake on Boost's part and I personally am happy it was fixed.

2, If you need data and don't talk/sms that much, then $4.50 extra a month for web won't kill you.

Lastly, if you feel you can get truly unlimited 3G on another carrier for less than $15/mo (without talk/text)... You sir should hop all over that and save yourself the drama.

Carrier(s)
    Soup Cans and String Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtrip View Post
    You sir should hop all over that and save yourself the drama.
    The pun above is actually hilarious...that "Member2009" guy is aka "2bunny" who's made like 5-6 new accounts after being banned multiple times

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan s View Post
    The pun above is actually hilarious...that "Member2009" guy is aka "2bunny" who's made like 5-6 new accounts after being banned multiple times
    Lol thanks for pointing that out.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    20 cents per minute is high, but I can agree with the 50 cents per day for unlimited web. Many people do abuse it.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtrip View Post
    I was told by boost that turning the web off/on will not constitute as a plan change so it shouldn't raise rates for current paygo customers on that alone.

Sent from my PC36100
    DT - What about switching phones or moving from iDen to CDMA?

deathtrip Guest
    That constitutes as a plan change, but I would think Boost would allow it, if you called in to do it, dunno for sure about how they will handle it.

Sent from my PC36100

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast