Thread: Purchasing an N9

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado85 View Post
    I received my N9

GREAT phone. like other said, if you have patience, you can save a few bucks
    I love my purchase so far. it's a breath of fresh air in smartphone arena.

Is anyone else N9 Made in China? I thought these were made in Finland.
    I have some questions (kind of stupid maybe..)

1. is there a way to password lock the phone?
    2. does the nokia maps software work for turn by turn directions in United states?

and also how is the speakerphone quality vs your iPhone 3GS or any other phone you have had. Today's smartphones speakerphones are very low and muffled in my experience

Thanks

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by $ahil View Post

2. does the nokia maps software work for turn by turn directions in United states?

and also how is the speakerphone quality vs your iPhone 3GS or any other phone you have had. Today's smartphones speakerphones are very low and muffled in my experience

Thanks
    2. Yes, Nokia Maps works in the USA for turn by turn navigation.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by $ahil View Post

Thanks
    As in similar to the iphone? Yes there is a password lock on the phone. Yes, there are turn by turn directions in the US for maps, I used them last night.
    The speakerphone is not as loud as my N8, but it gets the job done. It's not muffled, but it could be louder.
    Nokia N950

Device(s)
    Sharp SH-01C
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    how dead is meego? while i do like android, the meego os on the N9 just seems really good and fluid. and since i am going to get an android tablet soon - transformer 2, i thinking about ditching android phone and getting something else, like an iphone or this...

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr V3i iTunes
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    using several androids, and iphones, and n900, i can tell you I do not regret spending $750. It is really good.

nokia will support meego till 2015. most of us dont even keep the phone till 2015. so what is the problem then? out of the box, it already does excellent calling (that is what a phone primarily is for), emails, texting. and new apps are games are already in the making. 90% of which I will never use. I know my apps. I have them.

minus-

no google maps. I feel a detachments towards that.
    no good finance apps like google finance.

this phone is excellent in web browsing, texting, emailing, phoning.

period.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just went and got a samsung gs2 from tmobile last night and dropped my tzones. The sales rep said that Nokia will only be coming out with window phones in the states from now on. I have been a nokia fanboy for years, but the N9 has made me jump ship from nokia.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado85 View Post
    using several androids, and iphones, and n900, i can tell you I do not regret spending $750. It is really good.

nokia will support meego till 2015. most of us dont even keep the phone till 2015. so what is the problem then? out of the box, it already does excellent calling (that is what a phone primarily is for), emails, texting. and new apps are games are already in the making. 90% of which I will never use. I know my apps. I have them.

minus-

no google maps. I feel a detachments towards that.
    no good finance apps like google finance.

this phone is excellent in web browsing, texting, emailing, phoning.

period.
    Did you try Stocona a Google finance stock app?

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frontin40 View Post
    I just went and got a samsung gs2 from tmobile last night and dropped my tzones. The sales rep said that Nokia will only be coming out with window phones in the states from now on. I have been a nokia fanboy for years, but the N9 has made me jump ship from nokia.
    Why would it make you jump ship? It was pretty well known for a while that the N9 wasn't coming stateside and WP7 devices were coming. You could always sell your GS2 and buy an N9 if you'd like.

With that said, the GS2 is a solid device so you should be alright with that. I thought about getting one but it's a little too old for me (going by the international release). The GS2 and Nexus Prime are the 2 best android devices available (when the latter releases).

Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If the N9 is what makes you jump ship from Nokia, you're doing it wrong. The 5800, N96, N97 et al are better reasons for not buying Nokia. The N9 is probably one of the best phones to be released in the last 5 years.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unfuccwittable View Post
    If the N9 is what makes you jump ship from Nokia, you're doing it wrong. The 5800, N96, N97 et al are better reasons for not buying Nokia. The N9 is probably one of the best phones to be released in the last 5 years.
    That's true.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unfuccwittable View Post
    If it had a 12mp camera, with a xenon flash... it would be THE best phone ever released by nokia, the camera leaves a lot to be desired...

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It outperforms the N8 in some areas, doesn't perform so well in others. I'd say that's a fair tradeoff, particularly for the type of person who would rely on a smartphone camera. If you want the best camera possible, you've probably got a point and shoot that is better than anything the N8 can do.

Not to mention, the rumour that Nikon might buy webOS should have you holding off buying any smartphone, as the potential of getting a Nikon smartcamera should be very, very enticing.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    It outperforms the N8 in some areas, doesn't perform so well in others. I'd say that's a fair tradeoff, particularly for the type of person who would rely on a smartphone camera. If you want the best camera possible, you've probably got a point and shoot that is better than anything the N8 can do.

Not to mention, the rumour that Nikon might buy webOS should have you holding off buying any smartphone, as the potential of getting a Nikon smartcamera should be very, very enticing.
    My N8 works better than most people's point and shoot camera's.....

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    PR1.1 is out, it seems to be hitting N9's that originate from Finland first, however there are reports of issues with the upgrade.

Some of the new features include:

NFC tag reading to instantly interact with NFC tags
    Music controls on lock screen
    Photo and video shooting with color filters: black & white, sepia, vivid, negative, solarize
    More powerful multitasking with improved memory handling
    Swype for fast typing
    Faster MfE synch, synchronizing only active folders
    Noice cancellation reduces background noise so that your friends hear you better
    Close apps easily with swiping down, this now on by default
    New indicators for standby screen like charging and calendar
    etc
    |D
    |D [\/] /\ Z

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Sticking to the topic of this thread, a website name SGBest seems to offer the best prices.
    Though I don't have any experience with them myself, I saw at least one person in a forum having mentioned purchasing a N9 from them.
    16GB N9 US$580.
    32GB N9 US$698.
    Shipping is ~US$32.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast