Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID BIONIC XT875 Release Thread

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    LauncherPro is close to be classified as abandonware at this point. It's been months since there have been any updates and it's quite possible it just doesn't work properly on all new devices.

I don't know what to tell you, believe what you want to believe. Motorola isn't blocking data usage beyond what it says in the battery management as I've never had ANY trouble receiving background data updates when I'm supposed to depending on what mode is selected. I have widgets that update data, they all work. I get gmail, G+, and Facebook notifications as they happen. Everything works as expected (including weatherbug). I open up facebook app and the feed is has new posts in it without having to do a manual pull. I open up weatherbug and the weather has been updated on the schedule I set.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post
    LauncherPro is close to be classified as abandonware at this point. It's been months since there have been any updates and it's quite possible it just doesn't work properly on all new devices.

I don't know what to tell you, believe what you want to believe. Motorola isn't blocking data usage beyond what it says in the battery management as I've never had ANY trouble receiving background data updates when I'm supposed to depending on what mode is selected. I have widgets that update data, they all work. I get gmail, G+, and Facebook notifications as they happen. Everything works as expected (including weatherbug). I open up facebook app and the feed is has new posts in it without having to do a manual pull. I open up weatherbug and the weather has been updated on the schedule I set.
    In performance mode LauncherPro has yet to give issues. WeatherBug widget and status bar temp seem to be updating more consistently also. Not sure on battery life affect yet. I have not had issues with data that is actually using true push for notifications and such so much as interval updating apps.

BTW, LauncherPro's DEV may not have done updates lately, but I still prefer it head and shoulders above trying to use the formerly known as Blur homescreen abomination for the first few days I had the device. I sure hope ICS's standard app screen isn't left/right pages. Those are fine when you have two or three pages of apps only, but infinitely annoying once you have a ton of apps and just want them alphabetical and vertical in your app tray. Not to mention if you just load LauncherPro you can still set the blur app drawer as default. Mostly though I much prefer the itemized listed widgets of LaunncherPro and not just for the e-mail one. Also more selection of data cull into a listed widget. Basically like it more for various reasons and it's probably not as pretty without finding some custom skins or something and maybe not even then, but it works better for my purposes.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If it works better for you, that's great. I'm just echoing a lot of sentiments that I've been hearing other places that it's increasingly failing to work properly on newer handsets and a lot of people have moved on to different launchers that are better supported. Personally, I rather like the stock launcher on the Bionic. It's clearing taking advantage of the GPU and offering better UI performance than anything I've seen so far (and most reviewers seem to agree) and I'm finding the grouping functionality of the app drawer to be rather nice.

If it sounded like I was a bit short with you, I'm sorry. It's just the tone of your post. Instead of saying "Hey, I'm seeing some update issues with some of my apps, has anyone else had problems?" it was "Motorola is cheating us and blocking data covertly to try to cover up battery life issues on their clearly inferior hardware."

I will say this, it's very hard to review 4g battery drain at this point simply because Verizon's network is in so much flux. One or two tests simply isn't enough data to gather a coherent picture, you are going to need a week or more with the device (after you calibrate the battery) to get a real indication on how things are going.

When taking the LTE radio out of the equation, the Bionic's battery performance is above reproach from what I've seen so far experimenting with turning LTE off. With LTE on, we are still seeing better life than the Thunderbolt and Charge. I don't know how Anandtech got their revolution to perform so well on battery as most of the reviews I've read on that phone have pegged it nearly as bad as the Thunderbolt.

Here's what BGR had to say about the Revolution battery life

The trade off with an LTE phone, of course, is battery life. There’s just no way to sugar coat it… battery life on the LG Revolution is abysmal, just like it is on the ThunderBolt and the DROID Charge.
    Engadget said the same

We figured the Revolution's 1500mAh battery would provide talk times somewhere in between its two siblings -- the Thunderbolt uses a 1400mAh battery, while the Charge carries a 1600mAh -- and it's true. Unfortunately, though, it's much closer to the former.

In another instance, we left the phone on to receive only emails and texts, and the charge almost lasted the entire day
    I'm seeing a hell of a lot better battery life than that on my Bionic with 4G turned on.

Feedback Score
    I use launcher pro primarily for the friends widget ( facebook and twitter updates) and the people widget. Is there anyway to just use those widgets and not the launcher? Are there any widgets like those that I can purchase from the market? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/14...ent-an-option/

Interesting. According to that, anyone who is having radio drops/swaps leading to bad battery life should probably just go ahead and exchange the phone as there might be a few duds out there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post
    If it works better for you, that's great. I'm just echoing a lot of sentiments that I've been hearing other places that it's increasingly failing to work properly on newer handsets and a lot of people have moved on to different launchers that are better supported. Personally, I rather like the stock launcher on the Bionic. It's clearing taking advantage of the GPU and offering better UI performance than anything I've seen so far (and most reviewers seem to agree) and I'm finding the grouping functionality of the app drawer to be rather nice.

If it sounded like I was a bit short with you, I'm sorry. It's just the tone of your post. Instead of saying "Hey, I'm seeing some update issues with some of my apps, has anyone else had problems?" it was "Motorola is cheating us and blocking data covertly to try to cover up battery life issues on their clearly inferior hardware."

I will say this, it's very hard to review 4g battery drain at this point simply because Verizon's network is in so much flux. One or two tests simply isn't enough data to gather a coherent picture, you are going to need a week or more with the device (after you calibrate the battery) to get a real indication on how things are going.

When taking the LTE radio out of the equation, the Bionic's battery performance is above reproach from what I've seen so far experimenting with turning LTE off. With LTE on, we are still seeing better life than the Thunderbolt and Charge. I don't know how Anandtech got their revolution to perform so well on battery as most of the reviews I've read on that phone have pegged it nearly as bad as the Thunderbolt.

Here's what BGR had to say about the Revolution battery life

Engadget said the same

I'm seeing a hell of a lot better battery life than that on my Bionic with 4G turned on.
    I find I like the flow and movement of LauncherPro same or better on the Bionic than the stock one, GPU or no for LP it runs smoother. And this is comparing the similar flip transitions. Part of my preference for LP is you can tune just how it reacts to your swipes and such. There is no lighting effect and the icon widgets don't shift around funny as you change screens, but that does nothing for me on the stock launcher.

But part of my tone was due to Anands results on the continuous use battery drain which suggest the Bionic radios and other hardware are no more efficient and maybe less so than comparable phones given battery size of it's competitors. This tends to suggest to me something is using more juice in general, but once the device is not in use it's either resting more completely software or hardware wise. Not sure if it's software or hardware, but in performance mode which is mostly a software tweak, my phone keeps upto date with data intervals better and the LP widgets don't loose connections. I'm pretty sure weatherbug status temp is keeping to it's interval better while screen is off also. Basically, what it's doing I do not believe is as simplistic as the profiles suggest. Not sure what happens with custom as I haven't toyed with it. Now this isn't real scientific or something I am putting lots of effort into tracking, but generally things seem to be doing better DURING PEAK hours when on performance.

I understand this Anand test isn't the final say also, but I have a feeling Moto is doing something more than is being suggested with these battery profiles and they Jha has spoken down to App developers when talking battery performance so they may be doing something that makes it tougher for apps that don't go about things in the best way efficiencywise for updates until you go into performance mode. This would also tend to shed light on why average use seems so much better than LTE phones while continuous seems pretty similar.

BTW, pretty sure I have used it less today from an LTE standpoint by far and it has drained much faster on performance than it did on normal yesterday and this happened with all app update intervals seemingly getting taken care of better.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There is no normal mode. There's maximum, nighttime, and custom (besides performance.)

I've had it in nighttime mode before and noticed no difference in either battery drain nor app update intervals than when I've had it in performance mode. It's entirely possible your problem was transient based on some other factor (network, app misbehaving.)

As far as Anandtech's drain tests.

The bionic lasted 6% longer than the charge on the non-hotspot test while having an 8% larger battery. It also did this while having a dual core processor and pushing a higher resolution. That's close enough to consider the LTE radios to be on par i would think.

What's most odd about that test is the Revolution. It has a smaller battery than the Charge and it uses the same LTE radio as the charge. Yet somehow it lasts 16% longer than the Charge?
    Last edited by bull3964; 09-14-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Feedback Score
    Only real diff between those tests is that phone display power draw is replace with WiFi power draw. The hotspot test is really a display tech agnostic test. HTC obviously seems to have a really power hungry display. The LG is probably due to it having an internally developed LTE modem just like Moto did actually per the below Anand link.

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/...lte-smartphone

What I am starting to wonder is if there is some nuance to the LTE rest and start behavior through Moto's drivers for it that is tweaked by these power toggles we have. Obviously the Anand test vs real life impressions of battery life see quite a bit different in a broad sense. Even though I get reduced battery life in Performance from Night as far as I can gather, it is still far better than my wifes Charge no matter how you slice it. Basically I think it has great battery life, but am just curious as to what the whole deal is on all these different LTE modems. I'm sure there is some max power draw vs max throughput trade offs even. Not sure the Revo shows slower speeds really though?

Device(s)
    Note 9, S9+, S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here is my 4-way comparison between the Droid Bionic, Thunderbolt, Revolution, and Droid Charge:
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Mo...olution_id2820
    ==>My Amazon page with LED car headlight bulbs: Diamond Vision LED

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Huh, I was unaware that LG developed their own LTE chipset like motorola. I just assumed they used the same qualcomm ones that the others were using.

It will also be interesting to see what radio tweaks get pushed OTA once more real world data is gathered. i would bet we're still in the tuning stage of moto's chipset and they may be able to get more power.

One thing I saw mentioned about LG's LTE supplementation is that you have to reboot when you switch modes with CDMA only. It's strange that to force a mode switch you would have to reboot, but the phone can do handoffs fine.

Which, coincidentally, is one thing a pure drain test doesn't manage to capture. I would like to see a test as to how these various chipsets handle handoffs between signals and how they manage things in marginal areas.

One thing I noticed about the bionic is when you disable the 4G radio and drop it to 3G, it completely disconnects the data and then reconnects to 3G. However, when you turn 4G on when you are on 3G, 4G connects instantly and you never lose data connection.

I've been running my phone on 3G mode today just to get an indication on battery life and it's nothing short of amazing. I'm seeing less than a 20% drain after 8 hours. This includes 30 minutes of screen on time and 90 minutes of LTE turned on (when I was at lunch and using the phone, i wanted 4G.) Considering that I haven't passed 80% mark and the first 10% drains the fastest, I could say this phone could easily last more than a full 24 hour period pulling background data and seeing some light use on 3G.

I would like to see an additional battery mode that turns 4G on when the phone is awakened, but falls back to 3G after idle for 15 minutes. This combo would be killer for providing long term idling with background updates but fast interactive use.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    I know how it's SUPPOSED to work. I am suspicious though after seeing Anandtechs first drain tests and know I have some apps that don't update correct all the time. LauncherPro social widgets even get blocked for manual updates on me and I need a reboot to get them seeing data again. I'm just suspicious of what they are ACTUALLY doing software wise to manage the battery after seeing how poor it did in a all out continuous heavy use drain test. I use my phone pretty hard, but not in a continuous way really so much as little bits of stuff here and there and having to always manually update even though they should have had an update already is annoying.
    lmao....I'm waiting for the day when you FINALLY admit that you work for Apple/Samsung/HTC.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Moto Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone else have trouble with the Development setting "Stay Awake" (Screen will never sleep while charging)?

You can access this setting: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Stay Awake

I have to check this box everyday, and I haven't figured out why it's getting unchecked.
    GO BUCKS!!

Device(s)
    Note 9, S9+, S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've been using Launcher Pro for the past 2 days without problem.
    But today I installed Go Launcher EX as it was shown on the Droid-Life site.
    Its nice and seems to get updated regularly, just be sure you install all the widgets, as they have to be downloaded manually from the Market.
    There are 5 home screens by default, but you can have up to 30! Right now I have it set to 9 and its working just fine.

Id suggest you guys give it a try.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tavenger5 View Post
    I agree that for the price of this phone, and being dual core and all, it should take better pictures.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast