Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID BIONIC XT875 Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It seems unfair that the Bionic is to be ignored. Why is the RAZR intrisically better?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Aside from 4430 vs 4460, I would be willing to bet that the internals between the Bionic and Razr are virtually the same. The iFixit teardown of the Bionic made a bit deal about how the components weren't optimized for thinness in any way shape or form. With an extensive re-arrangement of the internals, i could see how they would be able to thin the Razr down to what it is. In short, they can probably run nearly the same ROM because they are virtually the same device from a hardware perspective. So, I really wouldn't really worry about the Bionic being updated to ICS if the Razr is (and if nether get updated, you might as well write off Motorola as no one will ever by any of their high end phones again due to a massive betrayal in consumer trust.)

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the shipping ROM on the Razr is the Bionic update that's coming in November.

That said, I won't be keeping the Bionic long term and will be switching to the Galaxy Nexus because I can. I'll either exchange for it if it comes to Costco or I'll exchange to the newest highest value phone at costco to sell and buy the nexus outright. ICS is too good to pass up.

Device(s)
    Samsung Renown
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just don't wait to wait around for ICS, frankly. It took how long (6 months?) to get Gingerbread to the Droid X, and if ICS is such a massive change (much bigger than Froyo --> Gingerbread), I'm betting that it will take a while for Moto and Verizon to get their act together on ICS updates.

Hope I'm wrong for the Bionic/Razr crowd (especially since I may still be swayed towards the Razr)

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Really though, when you take a look at the customizations Motorola has made to Droid 3, Bionic, and Razr, you can see they were heavily influenced by at least Honeycomb if not ICS.

Motorola has probably had the source almost as long as Samsung and they are already familiar with a lot of things ICS introduces due to their work on the Xoom. Motorola has also started emailing Xoom owners today who are members of their feedback program about testing a "lastest release of google software" on their tablet.

Current non-blur is not a pervasive infiltration of the OS as it once was and as Sense currently is. It consists of a custom launcher and iconography, a blue theme, and a couple more options in the settings menu. I don't see a massive roadblock for them to create an ICS rom in a timely fashion.

If anyone should be worried about ICS, it should be HTC owners. Sense is HTC's brand identity and they are not going to let go of it willingly. The fact that ICS nullifies a lot of what Sense brings to the table has to be shaking HTC up a bit and I can't even imagine what their strategy is moving forward. This is going to be a double problem if they haven't had advanced access to ICS source as Samsung and Motorola undoubtedly had.

Not to mention that the Incredible was released closer to the launch of Gingerbread than the Thunderbolt was with ICS and the former still doesn't have the update yet.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Motorola confirmed via facebook that the Bionic is going to receive ICS and they will share timing once Google releases the source code.

What I find curious is this is a slight different response than they gave about the Razr when they said "early 2012" as the time frame. It could simply be a case of two different arms of the company giving different answers. However, due to the recent notices about the Bionic being unsellable at this time, I'm starting to wonder if something else is up.

Another thing I find odd is we know an update is slated for November sometime yet there have been no leaks AT ALL of the update yet which just seems off as we know it has to be testing at this point.

I know it's just a pie in the sky dream right now, but maybe Moto has a surprise for everyone to sooth over the pains of releasing the Razr just two months after the Bionic.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The November update is 2.4.x, or 2.6.x?
    The alleged update to ICS is coming when, early 2012?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    The November update is 2.4.x, or 2.6.x?
    The alleged update to ICS is coming when, early 2012?
    If I wanted to bet the odds, the November update would be 2.3.5 (the same build that was shown on the Razr as I believe their internal hardware to be nearly identical.)

Motorola isn't giving an ICS timeframe until after the ICS code is open sourced (which should happen within 24 hours of the galaxy nexus release.) Oddly enough, a different Motorola source gave an "early 2012" timeframe for the Razr when asked. Why one can comment on a timeframe while another will not until the source is released is a mystery at this point. It could just mean lack of consistency between reps or it could mean a different strategy.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not much chance of getting ICS in November given the secrecy involved?

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sk33 View Post
    I just don't wait to wait around for ICS, frankly. It took how long (6 months?) to get Gingerbread to the Droid X, and if ICS is such a massive change (much bigger than Froyo --> Gingerbread), I'm betting that it will take a while for Moto and Verizon to get their act together on ICS updates.

Hope I'm wrong for the Bionic/Razr crowd (especially since I may still be swayed towards the Razr)
    It didn't take long to get froyo, about 2 months. The Droid X launched with eclair after all....just like the original Droid.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Outside of buying a GN, no. I'm not even sure if the Nexus S will see the update in November.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I were to guess, the chance of ANY phone from ANY manufacturer running ICS before 2012 besides the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus is slim to nill.

I would, however, place the Bionic and Razr as the two most likely candidates to be next in line for ICS due to the near stock nature of their Android build and Motorola's relationship with Google in the past. It's possible that Samsung may update the SGSII to ICS quickly due to their inside track with Google during the creation of ICS, but Touchwiz (like Sense for HTC) makes their strategy a bit hazy.

What is encouraging is that all the companies seem to be responsive on questions regarding this upgrade even if they are hazy on timings.

That's not to say it's not fun to have some hope that something surprising will happen.

Edit:
    http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/19/i...medium=twitter

Then again.....

Notice he's not just saying it's going to start rolling out to the Nexus S in the following week, he's obviously talking about several devices.

Device(s)
    Motorola Bionic
    Feedback Score
    How long have you had your Bionic that you're able to trade it into Costco for the Prime?

My phone fell out of its case today and totally got dinged up on the concrete. Ugh, now I don't think I can trade it in. Since it fell, I've been wondering if the inside's okay. It fell kinda hard, but it seems fine and not slow or anything. What are the chances something could have gotten funky inside the phone?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    90 days is the exchange window. So, if you got the bionic on launch day you have until December 7th to trade in.

I'm pretty sure cosmetic damage will prevent you from trading in the phone. It probably depends on how bad and how closely they look at it.

I doubt anything inside is damaged. These are solid state devices and can take pretty big shocks. The screen would break long before anything inside was hurt.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Have you checked to see if all of the ports, switches and cameras work correctly?

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just an FYI...we do haven several updates leaked from the cloud servers. .891, .892 and. 893 and it appears that .893 maybe the release candidate.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast