Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't re-activate 4G SIM card.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Can't re-activate 4G SIM card.

I wanted to switch to my BB 9650 (a 3G phone, no 4G SIM needed) for awhile so I changed phones on VZW's website, now I can't go back to the Thunderbolt! I can't get the SIM to activate, called CS and they said it should NOT have been deactivated in the 20 hours that I had the BB active!

I ordered a new SIM and it'll arrive in a couple of days but my question is this:

HOW CAN I KEEP VZW FROM DEACTIVATING MY SIM AGAIN????

I switch phones often, I'll activate the T'Bolt when I get the new SIM but I'll probably switch back to the BlackBerry again.

I have a VERY bad habit of playing with phones, with T-Mobile I changed phones as often as twice in an hour, from Android to WinMo to BB and back again, I never had a problem.

NOTE: When I first went to VZW from T-Mo I got a LG Revolution, was unable to use it with my email (LG CS said they block my ISP on their phones!) When I returned it and got the Thunderbolt, the sales person switched SIM from the LT to the HTC phone and VZW CS says that *might* be why I'm having a problem?
    It's me again...

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can't. Once a Verizon SIM is deactivated, it can not be used again. You will just need to get a new one.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    I will have to look but a VZW rep did post how to reactivate a 4G device without a new card being sent.

This is the post I was thinking of..... Guess they hit a snag, but they did get reactivated without a new card.

Whew! That was an adventure!

Ok I have successfully reactivated the Thunderbolt without getting a new SIM Card. I ended up have to call CS, but got a nice lady (Chelsea) who steered me where I was going wrong.

To start have your 3G device (old one/ switching from) powered down. The battery out of the 4G device (new one/switching to) so you can see the IMEI number in the battery compartment and your SIM card out and flipped to the side with the numbers and the gold contact.

Scroll down to the "I want to..." section and select "Activate or Switch Device". Follow the directions until you get to the screen where asks for your device's identification number.
    Enter the 4G device's IMEI number and hit the submit button.
    On the next screen it will ask you (1) if you want a new SIM card mailed to you or (2) ask for the SIM card. Enter the SIM card number and click on the button that begins the process for verification.

Okay on the SIM card page, I hit a snag. The reason, my Droid Eris wasn't turned off yet. So I called CS. After telling what I wanted to do, she asked me to turn off the Eris. Verified I didn't burn the SIM card with the *228 part. Asked for the IMEI number. Apparently she could see the SIM card number so I didn't have to give it to her. Depending on your situation, you may need to give the SIM card number. She worked her magic on her side and then asked me to put the phone together and boot it up. Once it was loaded completely, she had me make a test call. I let it ring until I got the voicemail for my work phone. I also know the 3G works, because I heard my phone belt out the notification tone for gmails and emails.
    Last edited by budone; 08-28-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add'l info

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    You can't. Once a Verizon SIM is deactivated, it can not be used again. You will just need to get a new one.
    So you're saying I'll need a new SIM card every time I switch phones? That's not acceptable.....

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by budone View Post
    I will have to look but a VZW rep did post how to reactivate a 4G device without a new card being sent.

This is the post I was thinking of..... Guess they hit a snag, but they did get reactivated without a new card.

Whew! That was an adventure!

Ok I have successfully reactivated the Thunderbolt without getting a new SIM Card. I ended up have to call CS, but got a nice lady (Chelsea) who steered me where I was going wrong.

To start have your 3G device (old one/ switching from) powered down. The battery out of the 4G device (new one/switching to) so you can see the IMEI number in the battery compartment and your SIM card out and flipped to the side with the numbers and the gold contact.

Scroll down to the "I want to..." section and select "Activate or Switch Device". Follow the directions until you get to the screen where asks for your device's identification number.
    Enter the 4G device's IMEI number and hit the submit button.
    On the next screen it will ask you (1) if you want a new SIM card mailed to you or (2) ask for the SIM card. Enter the SIM card number and click on the button that begins the process for verification.

Okay on the SIM card page, I hit a snag. The reason, my Droid Eris wasn't turned off yet. So I called CS. After telling what I wanted to do, she asked me to turn off the Eris. Verified I didn't burn the SIM card with the *228 part. Asked for the IMEI number. Apparently she could see the SIM card number so I didn't have to give it to her. Depending on your situation, you may need to give the SIM card number. She worked her magic on her side and then asked me to put the phone together and boot it up. Once it was loaded completely, she had me make a test call. I let it ring until I got the voicemail for my work phone. I also know the 3G works, because I heard my phone belt out the notification tone for gmails and emails.
    Went through the same stuff except the CS could NOT activate the SIM, went to level 2 support, could NOT activate the SIM. I'm waiting for a new one and apparently this will be necessary every time I change phones, which could be as often as twice/hour.

I suspect VZW isn't going to work for me, I'll need to fix this or figure out how to not pay an ETF and just go back to T-Mobile. I used to switch phones all the time when I had VZW before but that was before SIM cards for 4G. The CS folks admitted they had no damn idea how to handle SIM cards to allow folks to change phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xs11e View Post
    Went through the same stuff except the CS could NOT activate the SIM, went to level 2 support, could NOT activate the SIM. I'm waiting for a new one and apparently this will be necessary every time I change phones, which could be as often as twice/hour.

I suspect VZW isn't going to work for me, I'll need to fix this or figure out how to not pay an ETF and just go back to T-Mobile. I used to switch phones all the time when I had VZW before but that was before SIM cards for 4G. The CS folks admitted they had no damn idea how to handle SIM cards to allow folks to change phones.
    This is just growing pains. When all of the phones being used are 4G, you'll be able to swap back and forth by swapping sims as you always have with t-mobile. The problem is only present when swapping from 3g to 4g, then back to 4g.

At this point, the sim will deactivate 24 hours after you reactivate a 3g device on the line. If you reactivate the 4g sim before 24 hours, you're going to be OK.

Feedback Score
    If you swap from a 4G device to a 3G device, the SIM card retires at midnight EST same day.

Once a SIM card retires, it can not be used again.

If you swap back to the 4G device and reactivate the SIM before midnight EST on the same day, you're fine.

So to recap:

4G to 4G (SIM Swap) - SIM stays active, everything's ok.
    4G to 3G - SIM retires midnight EST same day, you're going to need a new SIM to reactivate the 4G device anytime from 12:01a next day onward
    3G to 4G: You need a SIM card.
    3G to 3G: BAU with *228 or My Verizon.

Device(s)
    htc "Tundabawlt"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xs11e View Post

A gsm carrier is definitely the way to go for techies and those who are constantly swapping phones. At least until LTE is adapted by more carriers and is more prominent.

Feedback Score
    As the other person said, midnight is the deadline. If the SIM isn't active at midnight it will never be usable again. I truly hope this changes sometime soon but for now that's the case.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I switch phones every 2 hrs like you, i had like 6 phones in my drawer when i was with AT&T, the only trick part was the micro sim of the iphone 4, but an adapter and i was back on track.

I have learned to live with one device and grow tired of flashing roms every day. I guess I will wait until verizon brings more LTE phones to the market, i refuse to get a bionic i currently have a Droid Charge, and Tbolt but have grown tired of the tbolt and its issues.

The whole point in this i believe is because android still feels like beta or at least the vendors are trying very hard to keep the phones in beta stage because of their android customization. Personally i rather have 1 phone and may be get a new one every year because its becoming boring, android have reached a plateau where more power doesn't mean better experience.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Did AT&T ever have this problem with SIM cards?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    As the other person said, midnight is the deadline. If the SIM isn't active at midnight it will never be usable again. I truly hope this changes sometime soon but for now that's the case.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using HowardForums
    I am not arguing the time period, however when I attempt to switch back to an older phone via *228, a message states you have 14 days to reactivate the SIM or a new one will be required.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by budone View Post
    I am not arguing the time period, however when I attempt to switch back to an older phone via *228, a message states you have 14 days to reactivate the SIM or a new one will be required.
    I've heard/seen the same message but apparently it's not correct, CS couldn't explain why my SIM deactivated in less than one day but the "deactivated at midnight" would explain what happened to me since it was overnight.

I believe the solution is to go back to T-Mobile but if I can't get around the ETF it's going to be a costly move.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Need to update. I played around again and the midnight info is incorrect. I activated my BB again and the SIM from the 4g phone was deactivated the INSTANT I dialed *228 on the BB!

So... all the available information is incorrect. The website says 24 hours, that's wrong. The message mentioned above about 14 days is wrong and the "after midnight" is wrong.

Your 4G SIM is dead and cannot be re-activated the instant you activate a 3g phone on VZW, the CS person I talked to agrees, she says it isn't supposed to work that way but it does.

I clicked on the 'send me a new SIM' link and then went to a VZW store and got a new SIM to re-activate my phone, when the 'send me a new SIM' came I put it aside for future use. When I use it I'll click on the 'send me a new SIM' link again so as to always have one backup. I sure hope that works.....

Feedback Score
    This is a security feature of the SIM, which has to serve as a highly secure card. It applies to EVERY carrier, not just Verizon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast