Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: iDEN is on its way out

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsfan View Post
    How many times must you ramble on about your r=7 and Iden being ineffecient.Its a little old now.It has become a Turret like repetitive line in most of your posts.Bottom line Nextel was spectrum short regardless of the technology they had.They were challenged from the start with this issue.They built a national network with 25 million users focusing on their Iden PTT feature which is the best in the business.It still is.It is hardly a niche technology.All IP based PTT so far do not work very well.Qchat chosen by Nextel themseves did not work at the level Iden users were expecting and was a failure.Motorola owned a large piece of Nextel so they had an unusual relationship as the exclusive suppier of handsets and infastructure on their Iden network. This relationship ended with the sale of Nextel to Sprint .Motorola and Sprint do not seem to play well together.Iden as a technology is quite dated but i doubt Motorola will do anything to update it.They are not the same company they were and their focus and survival mode has become Android phones.Now with their purchase by Google that is all but assured.
    Nextel's spectrum challenge was exacerbated by the low spectrum efficiency of the air interface.

The IDEN part is now part of Motorola Solutions, not Motorola Mobility which is what Google purchased. We have absolutely no idea what Motorola Solutions is going to do, since they have not exactly been forthcoming. IP based PTT can work very well, but not not an a vanilla network architecture based on a small number of giant switches. It will not work as well as IDEN without some special servers that mimic the functionality of the IDEN network elements.

Feedback Score

Iden thoughts

Hi Boss... I remember you from the old website directconnect.com. I have been a Nextel customer since Nextel was invented. I also own a cell tower with a Nextel site on it. We have 5 carriers in my area and I've owned dozens of phones with each carrier over the years. I could not agree more that Nextel is simply the most amazing wireless communications service on the planet. As you probably know, all iDen Nextel phones manufactured after the release of the i886 include MO-SMS. I have owned an i886 and an i686 and the texting is nearly instant. I currently use an iPhone on VZN for my main line but I love the "old iDen" best. I just wish I could get my family to switch back but they have been seduced by 3g and the glamour of the apple. iDen just works!!! I only hope that Sprint upgrades their equipment on my tower as opposed to shutting the site down completely....

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Titanium Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Quote Originally Posted by n0qkl
    Hi Boss... I remember you from the old website directconnect.com. I have been a Nextel customer since Nextel was invented. I also own a cell tower with a Nextel site on it. We have 5 carriers in my area and I've owned dozens of phones with each carrier over the years. I could not agree more that Nextel is simply the most amazing wireless communications service on the planet. As you probably know, all iDen Nextel phones manufactured after the release of the i886 include MO-SMS. I have owned an i886 and an i686 and the texting is nearly instant. I currently use an iPhone on VZN for my main line but I love the "old iDen" best. I just wish I could get my family to switch back but they have been seduced by 3g and the glamour of the apple. iDen just works!!! I only hope that Sprint upgrades their equipment on my tower as opposed to shutting the site down completely....
    I kind of know the feeling . My wife had a 8350I for almost 3 years. She absolutely loved it to death and would defend it all day long against android after having a evo for a month and i1for a month. I got a iphone because we got a contract in a area that only had att coverage that ended lasting a lot longer than expected and ran past the return date but I really wasn't concerned about that. I kept it and we already had a business account setup for some lines that are in the same situation all the time. Eventually she wanted to try one . I figured the I thing would wear off with her and she would want her berry and it did. We were going to take it back and special situations caused us to be away at the end of the trial period so it didn't make its way back. So another 2 months passed by because there was no need to get in a hurry then , meanwhile my toddler jammed a wrong charger into her berry and messed up the port so she has been using an i580y for the last 2 months for voice and dc and all her texts migrated to the new number as people got it. So the iphone has been in use for web, text and facebook. Now she hates the iphone typing and calling and wants a Nextel back as a stand alone but she has gotten use to the big screen. She never liked the i1 and doesn't dig the titanium yet and is kind of disconnected from the 8350I. She saw the touchscreen torch and wants it but its not on Nextel so coverage will be terrible (she tried the sprint bold , no go on coverage). The only thing that is close to Nextel for coverage is att but still lacks some in our area and has gains as well. The att business rep came by and told us that there new bread of blackberries will include ptt and the older versions are getting software updates for ptt in the next couple of months but it still won't be as good as Nextel so I'm in a tuff spot. The only differance she doesn't need 3g and wants Nextel just that she wants a torch on Iden.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    What Motorola will join the 21st century? After losing pretty much all of their business they will try something new? Good luck to them!
    I can't say another word, but iDEN related Motorola Solutions job listings drop some strong hints and occasionally an explicit description of what "ipDEN" will look like.

Virgin Mobile India Graphic

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I can't say another word, but iDEN related Motorola Solutions job listings drop some strong hints and occasionally an explicit description of what "ipDEN" will look like.
    They already have IP based IDEN as contrasted with circuit switched based IDEN, but they did not change the air interface. If they can change the air interface, then great!

Feedback Score
    All I can say is watch the job ads for Motorola Solutions and you should be able to piece together what their up to. All that will remain the same is the chirp.

The work is primarily being done in India though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    Nextel's spectrum challenge was exacerbated by the low spectrum efficiency of the air interface.

The IDEN part is now part of Motorola Solutions, not Motorola Mobility which is what Google purchased. We have absolutely no idea what Motorola Solutions is going to do, since they have not exactly been forthcoming. IP based PTT can work very well, but not not an a vanilla network architecture based on a small number of giant switches. It will not work as well as IDEN without some special servers that mimic the functionality of the IDEN network elements.
    Actually they have not consumated anything yet.Bottom line If Nextel was a CDMA carrier they would have still been spectrum short period.The IDEN network carried 25 million subscribers not bad for a spectrum challenged old school TDMA based network.It is highly unlikely that Sprint will ever use a Motorola based PTT solution other than IDEN.When you say we have no idea what Motorola solutions is going to do exactly who the heck is we?Why would you know anything more about their plans than anyone else.Why would they tell you anything and tip their hand about future plans anyway.

Feedback Score
    Just keep enjoying the newest iden phones. The i940 will make the third Androiden phone and that means more toys for iden lovers everywhere.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6