Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: The GooMoto Thread! Where does Moto go now that it will be part of Google?

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    HEARD ON THE STREET Updated June 3, 2012, 4:23 p.m. ET Google Playing With Fire on Patents

Article

Apple, Google Expand Battle to Map Apps

CIA Prepares Iraq Pullback

Germany Pushes EU Bank Oversight

Meet the JOBS Act's Jobs-Free Companies

Is This New Samsung Phone An iPhone Killer? 03:29

Muslim Conservatives Mad About Lady Gaga 03:38

Google Wants to Sells You a Phone ... Again 18:05

Read Emailed Video Commented

3. Recall Vote Begins in Wisconsin

5. Microsoft Shows SmartGlass App

Powered by Taboola From Around the Web Content From Sponsors

12 Cities Where Home Prices Have Fallen Most Kiplinger

10 Things to Buy Used Yahoo!

Rating the Best --and Worst -- States to Do Business Entrepreneur

Editors' Picks

World U.S. New York Business Markets Tech Personal Finance Life & Culture Opinion Careers Real Estate

Small Business

TOP STORIES IN Markets

Pacquiao and His Best Friend Pacman Last Look Until 2117: Transit of Venus One Hospital's Fight Against Deadly Infection IKEA's Products Make Thai Shoppers Blush On Facebook, These Analysts Are Popular

JOIN THE DISCUSSION 5 Comments, add yours MORE IN Heard on the Street »

Powered by Taboola Don't Miss…

Community rules

JOURNAL COMMUNITY Add a Comment

Track replies to my comment

Login with Facebook

By ROLFE WINKLER Take the nuclear option off the table, and some patents look like less-powerful weapons.

Among the best intellectual property that Google GOOG -1.54% acquired through Motorola Mobility were "standards essential" patents—the foundation of certain technology standards on which others have to build. Take "3G" or WiFi. If, say, Apple AAPL -0.10% wants the iPhone to work, it must use such standards in its design. In exchange for its technology being adopted as a standard, a firm like Motorola commits to licensing the technology for a fair and reasonable price, lest it hold too much market power.

So it is problematic that Motorola had used such patents as a basis for suing firms like Apple and Microsoft MSFT -0.19% . Google continues to pursue the legal strategy since buying Motorola, despite warnings by the Justice Department.

More frustrating to government authorities is that Motorola took its case to the U.S. International Trade Commission, which has only one draconian penalty if it finds an intellectual-property violation: an import ban.

Now the Federal Trade Commission, which is already investigating Google on allegations of antitrust violations, plans to weigh in. In its statutory role as adviser to the International Trade Commission, the FTC is likely to file an opinion that import bans should be avoided in cases involving standards-essential patents, lest that harm innovation, according to a person familiar with the FTC's thinking. If the advice is heeded, Google could lose some of the negotiating leverage that Motorola's patents were supposed to provide.

Already, the European Commission has opened two formal investigations to determine whether Motorola violated its commitment to license the patents on fair and reasonable terms. If Google isn't careful, U.S. antitrust authorities may follow suit.

Write to Rolfe Winkler at [email protected]

A version of this article appeared June 4, 2012, on page C16 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: Google Plays With Fi

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With interesting comments for anyone knowing Chicago.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/6/21...ating-motorola

windows phone user:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4k1rvdqJH1r2n49g.gif

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Dang!

http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/08/q2-201...-share-us-npd/

Moto and really LG and HTC need to do something different. Samsung is obviously the ONLY smartphone vendor challenging Apple well.

Hopefully after this RAZR HD doesn't do anything spectacular the people Google has brought in will have something to follow it that does. They REALLY need too stop mimicing Apple. It really boggles my mind how much more Moto mimics Apple than Samsung, yet that it is Samsung getting the heat. I get that Samsung makes there stuff "look" a bit more like apple stuff, but Moto is pushing more premium Apple like build and seemingly smaller sized screens(although not device really). Yet you have Samsung offering CLEAR screen size differentiation with Galaxy S line get near 5" and a whole new line of device with the Galaxy Note.

I really think it's the clear differentiation on screen size that is giving Samsung their success. It also doesn't hurt pure Samsung phone oriented devices also always have removable battery and microSD.

My suggestion is that Moto makes a few premium devices with a very strong design and familial resemblance to each other and any throwback design inspirations they can find and make work in smartphone type devices from StarTAC, make a version of each for EVERY US carrier whether they have asked for it or not with each version being IDENTICAL on the outside, and then have a very big event when nothing else in the tech world is going on and introduce the first SmarTAC device. Make sure it was something you invested a good few years in perfecting first though

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is interesting, albeit with a dash of old news.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/13/32...uts-20-percent

Motorola's focusing only on high end models now. And Google's insisting on showing Motorola no favoritism...

...I guess that kills all hope for RAZR Nexus.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    This is interesting, albeit just a dash of old news:

How Verizon Wireless May Kill Hope for LTE Interoperability - Businessweek

I know how OP pines for more interoperability.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Feedback Score
    Not good, but something I had figured would eventually have to go down.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/13/m...by-20-percent/

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I have been anticipating a major restructuring as well and I am sure Susurro has been sitting uneasy throughout this transition.
    I certainly hope he is able to keep his job if he still enjoys it and if some of the reports I've read are true, it appears to be heavily weighted towards middle management with 40% VPs getting axed.

It is a very tough time to be a Motorola devotee, no doubt, but I believe all of this will ultimately serve their best interest.
    The lack of clarity and disclosure on Google's part is to be expected, but leaves them open to broad speculation about their intentions for Motorola's future.

The move has already met with tentative approval on Wall Street as analysts have been expecting it for some time.

More wait and see...
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know Moto is apparently having issues right now, but I'd buy a Motorola Nexus in the drop of a hat based on their legendary build quality and reception, assuming the rest of the specs were current as well.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. It's a rough time for those working at Moto, but I think it's a good plan to trim things way back and focus on only high end and higher margin stuff. This is particularly true for a company like Motorola that has a reputation for building devices that are NOT plastic or easy to build on the cheap as is a MUST when targeting the value end of the segment. Basically when this is your rep you are better off taking the Apple approach where your "Value" device is just a gen behind design rather than something independently developed in their own cycles.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I like Woodside's direct reference [Verge] to cameras and batteries. Wary of background voice print ID, though.

Gotta offer more than a quality build and stellar reception in this competitive market; Nokias and LGs always felt pretty solid in my hand.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-14-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    I like Woodside's direct reference [Verge] to cameras and batteries. Wary of background voice print ID, though.

Gotta offer more than a quality build and stellar reception in this competitive market; Nokias and LGs always felt pretty solid in my hand.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Yeah. Think getting rid of cheaper products and their own product cycles helps you do more with what's left, even with FAR fewer resources overall. This becomes even more true if the strategy is a take or leave it variety thing with carriers where you build each of the few devices to work on all carriers from the outset and not allow any carrier specific customization/configuration tweaks/redesigns.

Once you are down to such basics I think you can really put a lot more effort into making sure everything else is best as it can be. The fact there is just ONE iPhone being designed at any one time and never a complimentary product, but only next gen is the whole reason it's such a good all around product in so many respects and can use such high end materials yet cost similar to other OEM devices while demanding higher retail prices. The fact there haven't been any android OEMs operating like this is the only reason Apple has been able to be first with things like extreme resolution displays and backlit camera sensors and such. The longer product lifecycle and carry over of certain models into the next gen era also helps them as they can risk higher initial component orders and not be worried they over bought as they can just continue assembling and selling devices for a lot longer timeframe. If it's designed to be a crap and near disposable device from the onset you can't take such risks with initial supply requests.

We'll see, but done right this is a very smart move for Moto. If the devices that result from this shift aren't extreme impact though this will be seen as horrible move. It's quite risky and I think your first device from the new strategy has to be timed really well with component generation change somewhere to give it good legs to soldier on after it's replacement hits. This strategy will also help you support those older devices better with new Google releases as they will remain as salable product for longer.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like mimicking Apple production processes to a degree, which could work very well as long as you adequately differentiate the product itself to the consumer.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast