Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much data is too much? How much do you use?

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score

How much data is too much? How much do you use?

Well I just noticed the Optimus has a built in data and call counter if you dial ##786# and it's at 5GB just in a week. Pandora, netflix, and youtube and lots of speedtests will do that. (No tethering)

Not sure how much I have used on the Triumph but it could be similar.

How much do you use and how much is too much? I know starting next month there will be a throttle after 2.5GB so I figure... go nuts now!
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, didn't know it kept track of data. I'm at about 120mb half way through my month on my new Optimus. I haven't been streaming lately so I haven't used much. I just checked my last T-Mobile bill (closed 7/28) and I used 57mb there. My second line used a whopping 5mb - hah.

Time to start streaming more! Even when I tethered and streamed with my BB on T-Mobile I never topped 1GB, my hardwired internet is much faster at 10mb/down so that's what I use.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s+ [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm at about 114MB with only a couple days until my cycle restarts with my Droid Eris. I try not to use the internet much when I'm not on wifi, because with" mobile network" switched on I get abot 3-4 hours of battery life.

Sent from my Droid Eris using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    intercept - got it 2day
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score

hahahahah what data

after i switched to the triumph i either get no signal or 1 bar of 1x so i cant really help you, plus i'm screwed because i sold my optimus thinking this was a great phone. don't buy a triumph

Device(s)
    VX9800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well I am at about 1.8 GB in 2 weeks, I all ways hit in the 5 GB area each month. After the what the 17 I think it was of next month they will throttle us back to 256k, if they could give me that speed all the time I would be a happy guy... coz netflix does work for me at that speed.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'll let this stay open in hopes that the concentration remains on "how much do you use". The second it turns into finger pointing and "people like you are why they come up with data caps", etc, etc, etc...it's getting shut down. And, since I've put this warning here already, the person responsible will get a vacation.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I'm not on VM, but I do use roughly around 2GB a month on my iphone (still holding out on my grandfathered unlimited plan). I tether on occasion (to my tablet mostly), but also find myself on wifi a good part of the day.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Data Counter Widget. You can set it to reset on your billing date so you know how much you use each month.

I hardly use any 3G data; I leave my WIFI on (saves power vs. 3G background data). Even when I tether, it's rare to use more than 50MB just puttering around on the web.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_5; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1)

With the data speed I'm getting on VM network it would take a month just for 1Gb of data even with the tethering.
    P.S
    1.05Gb in 10 months. LOL
    Last edited by andyhrn; 08-02-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Feedback Score
    I have 3G and syncing disabled 99% of the time to save on battery. I only enable those when I specifically need internet, check mail, maps, web, etc. I use data counter, and if it's to be believed I have never used more than 100MB a month, however, if I were to leave my 3G on all the time I'm sure my usage would be way up.

Carrier(s)
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    I pressed ##786# and has something called "Life Data Transmitted" and Received... is that from start of month or start of service? I started service Feb 6, so almost 6 months.

mine is 194,457 and 1,473,074 (do I add these, and divide by 6?)
    Life timer: 127 minutes (21 minutes per month makes sense)

And what is "up time" under phone status? 214:41:24 that's like 9 days... since when? (my month started 27 days ago)

Feedback Score
    Data Counter Widget says I xmitted 22MB up, and received 329MB down. Total 351mb.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile FTW!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abodd View Post
    after i switched to the triumph i either get no signal or 1 bar of 1x so i cant really help you, plus i'm screwed because i sold my optimus thinking this was a great phone. don't buy a triumph
    Did the same, sold my OV but returned my MT and bought 2 OVs with 30% off at Best Buy Mobile. Hopefully something better is soon to come.

BTW ##786# not working in gingerbread :/

HTC: Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Sensation
    Samsung: Moment, Intercept, Galaxy Note 2
    LG: Optimus V, Optimus Slider
    Tablets: Nook, Iconia Tab, Nexus 7

Device(s)
    There is not enough space here to list them all!
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile, FreedomPop, and TextNow
    Feedback Score
    on my sprint plan i think i was using 2GB a month - mostly pandora streaming - but now that i term'd my contract i can't check in and verify.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I use about 10GB now.

Before anyone complains, I am on both an unlimited data plan and an unlimited tethering plan. If vzw hates what I'm doing, they shouldn't have sold me it. I am violating no TOS.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

Feedback Score
    The code didn't work on my Optimus. It dialed out and I got some recording.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast