Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: touch screen without data plan?

Feedback Score

touch screen without data plan?

We are looking for a new phone for our daughter. Everyone has a touch screen without a $30 data plan but her. The problem I am finding is that now the touch screens are all requiring the bigger data plan. We are grandfathered in on the lower rate for all five phone #'s in the house and would hate to pay more jsut for one phone. We have looked at the LG Cosmos Touch, but have heard completely mixed reviews...any help?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Folks with smart phones without a data plan got them before Verizon started to require it in 2009.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If everyone has a very touch screen phone without a data plan, it should be easy to ask around. Seriously, just ask her friends or friends' parents to see what models they use and maybe you can get one too.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 | Moto X | Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon|AT&T|Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The Pantex Crux is also a touch screen phone, but I know nothing about it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    FYI, If you get a smartphone that was released before the BB Storm, you now need a data plan. Just found out, because my brother bought an old HTC phone from 6 years ago and it "needs" data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Smartphones released before Nov 2008 do not require a data plan.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I got the impression the OP wasn't necessarily looking for a smart phone. I use a Samsung Reality which I like and it has a touch screen. You may be able to find one new at an authorized agent. I think the only touch screen dumb phones VZW has right now are the Cosmos Touch & the Pantex Crux.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is a phone at BestBuy that is just like the Reality, but without the data plan

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...contract_desc=

@XFF, I wish this that was true for me, this phone was released In January of 2008

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterfanryan View Post
    @XFF, I wish this that was true for me, this phone was released In January of 2008
    It is true. You may have to call in to activate without data, but it can be done.

Feedback Score

Thanks....

...to Dust N Bones. I do think you are only one of two who understood my post. I also have the Reality (and love it!), but we have bee to many Verizon stores and it not available. To coasterfanRyan...I have also seen the phone you were talking about at Best Buy. It is a possibility, my DH does not ike to buy from anywhere but the VZW store...go figure. I appreciate the help from the helpful (not sarcastic) answers I received. Looks like I'm flying solo on this one! Thanks Again!

Feedback Score
    To Dreamcatcher68: If it were that easy...I guess I would just do it! I did think this forum was for help from people who may know something I don't.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jleichtman View Post
    I also have the Reality (and love it!), but we have bee to many Verizon stores and it not available... ...I have also seen the phone you were talking about at Best Buy. It is a possibility, my DH does not ike to buy from anywhere but the VZW store...go figure.
    I tend to feel the same way about only buying from a VZW corporate store but in this case if my choices were that limited I would probably make an exception. Especially since I despise LG phone's, every one my wife or I have ever owned have been nothing but junk and that includes my wife's current phone, the LG Env3. From our experience I find LG's to be cheap plasticy pieces of junk that usually break after only 6 months of very light use. We also have experienced tons of dropped calls with every LG phone we've ever had.

Does you daughter like your Samsung Reality? If she does then I think that's your best bet. As far as authorized retailers go I think Best Buy is one of the better one's.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was in the same predicament as you. I have 5 phones and refuse to switch to SMART phones due to the expensive data pachages. I just picked up 4 Samsung SCH-U370’s from Cosco for $50 each. They came with a car charger, case and blue tooth headset. You have 14 days to return for full refund and no change to your contract. You also get a 90 day price protection. So far I am very happy with the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Does you daughter like your Samsung Reality? If she does then I think that's your best bet. As far as authorized retailers go I think Best Buy is one of the better one's.
    Doesn't the Samsung Reality require at least the $10 75MB data package?

I have a spare Samsung Reality and Verizon refuses to re-activate it on my other line,
    unless I agree to sign up for the $10 75MB data package.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    No but you have to call in to activate without a data plan.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast