Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VZW is cruisin' for a bruisin'

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score

VZW is cruisin' for a bruisin'

They're having a special now that when you purchase an LG Revolution you receive three months of Netflix free. Now, the majority of users receiving that promo won't have any idea how much data is used in one single movie on Netflix.

In a way, I feel that VZW is looking forward to overage fees.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
    They're having a special now that when you purchase an LG Revolution you receive three months of Netflix free. Now, the majority of users receiving that promo won't have any idea how much data is used in one single movie on Netflix.

In a way, I feel that VZW is looking forward to overage fees.
    An information page about the promo is on the VZW site.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellHabit View Post
    An information page about the promo is on the VZW site.
    You may read the majority of small print, but most people don't. Is it their fault? Absolutely. But, again, one can ask whether VZW is knowingly stringing in a little more revenue. Not to mention, I can guarantee the majority of sales representatives will say nothing about using WiFi over 4G.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
    You may read the majority of small print, but most people don't. Is it their fault? Absolutely. But, again, one can ask whether VZW is knowingly stringing in a little more revenue. Not to mention, I can guarantee the majority of sales representatives will say nothing about using WiFi over 4G.
    Netflix has three 'video quality' settings... GOOD (0.3 GB/hour), BETTER (0.7 GB/hour), and BEST (1 GB/hour, 2.3 GB/hour for HD). (source). According to Engadget, "smartphone owners with new (read: not unlimited) data plans will begin receiving free text message alerts informing them when they've consumed 50, 75, 90, 100, and 110 percent of their monthly allowance." If the subscriber tracks their usage and/or pays attention to the text message alert, they should be able to stop Netflix usage before an overage charge is applicable. On the 2 GB plan, that could really constrain data usage... but having to conserve data usage for the remainder of the month is a better scenario than getting charged.

I wonder if this is more an effort on VZW's part to get people comfortable with Netflix for a few months and, as a result, sign up for a plan with a higher data allowance. Next, I could see VZW offering MLB or MobiTV trial subscriptions for the same reason... promote data usage and generate higher-tier data plan sales... ie. increase ARPU.
    Last edited by CellHabit; 07-26-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Oh yeah that could be a problem but its the customers job to know what is going on, so if they go over... live and learn. Same would apply on other networks too.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Oh yeah that could be a problem but its the customers job to know what is going on, so if they go over... live and learn. Same would apply on other networks too.
    Not to mention... VZW is sending a series of SMS alerts as different percentages of the data allowance are utilized.

Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Moto X DevEd
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Netflix has three 'video quality' settings... GOOD (0.3 GB/hour), BETTER (0.7 GB/hour), and BEST (1 GB/hour, 2.3 GB/hour for HD). (source). According to Engadget,.
    The only problem with that is its account-dependent. In other words, if you set it to Good, what you see on your PC, your Netflix TV/Wii/Xbox/PS will ALL be Good.

You cannot select Good for one, and Best for another. You'd have to go online and switch prior to wanting to watch the Best once you got home.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nikecar View Post
    The only problem with that is its account-dependent. In other words, if you set it to Good, what you see on your PC, your Netflix TV/Wii/Xbox/PS will ALL be Good.

You cannot select Good for one, and Best for another. You'd have to go online and switch prior to wanting to watch the Best once you got home.
    We're not talking about rocket science here... Changing a setting in Netflix is a twenty-second process... if that. :-)

Device(s)
    Moto X DevEd
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    We're not talking about rocket science here... Changing a setting in Netflix is a twenty-second process... if that. :-)

but not everyone is going to do that. Not everyone know about that either.

If people weren't idiots, there'd be no help desks, now wouldn't there?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well if the person already has a smart phone plan they don't have to worry about it.

I guess it depends on how many new customers/smart phone users will pick up the Revolution. In addition they can always watch Netflix over WiFi.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorcancer View Post
    Well if the person already has a smart phone plan they don't have to worry about it.

I guess it depends on how many new customers/smart phone users will pick up the Revolution. In addition they can always watch Netflix over WiFi.
    I pay $30 a month for internet I shouldn't have to use WiFi
    What IS WiFi?
    Bye!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It seems like VZW is trying to push away customers who buy and use phones that are smarter than they are. Thinning the herd. I'm OK with that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not to mention... VZW is sending a series of SMS alerts as different percentages of the data allowance are utilized.
    There are those of us with a text block ... #DATA does nothing. MyVerizon does give the information.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    There are those of us with a text block ... #DATA does nothing. MyVerizon does give the information.
    Like you mentioned, MyVZW has the info... and hopefully subscribers with tiered plans and an SMS block will stay on top of their usage. If someone does go over the data allowance, there is a good chance that VZW will work with them on the overage charges... I hear/read the phrase "one time courtesy" (or something similar) semi-regularly.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    It doesn't even play the recording? Not sure why a text block would stop that.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast