Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is there a way to manually put the HTC Inspire into 2G mode?

Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

is there a way to manually put the HTC Inspire into 2G mode?

or will rooting the phone do this ?
    the reason being is when I use it at the hospital where my mom gets treated there is no signal. yet another guy next to me had 4 full bars and I had nothing with the 4 g inspire.

so I either get a cheap old ATT cell or will rooting the inspire give an option to switch to 2g like my t-mobile my touch does?

Thnx

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The phone should use whatever signal is available. If your phone does not pick up a GSM signal in the absence of 3G, there is no usable GSM signal available.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The phone should use whatever signal is available. If your phone does not pick up a GSM signal in the absence of 3G, there is no usable GSM signal available.
    That doesn't always happen for some reason. But AFAIK to the OP there is no way to force 2G only..

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gate115 View Post
    or will rooting the phone do this ?
    the reason being is when I use it at the hospital where my mom gets treated there is no signal. yet another guy next to me had 4 full bars and I had nothing with the 4 g inspire.

so I either get a cheap old ATT cell or will rooting the inspire give an option to switch to 2g like my t-mobile my touch does?

Thnx
    Goto the debug mode for the Inspire by dialing *#*#4636#*#* , go to Phone Information .---> Set preferred network type and set it to "GSM only" or you can go to the app store and download a utility that will do same thing as above without going into the debug menu. The default setting is "WCDMA preferred".

Rooting is only for installing stuff obtained outside the app market, installing customized roms/themes, and unlocking it.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 07-10-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    That assumption is false.
    One device may pick up a GSM signal, while another device may pick up a GSM signal all on the same network and spot.
    How do I know this?
    It happens everyday at work...

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know why ATT branded phones never seem to have this option available?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wlo8 View Post
    Does anyone know why ATT branded phones never seem to have this option available?
    Because it offers choices to the consumer, and thats not what AT&T wants.
    See the general idea is to get everyone off the GSM network in 3G capable areas. Now in a perfect setting it works fine, but there are a couple of situations where it may be better to force to GSM or 3G. But the consumer may forget or purposefully force their phone to GSM only and then call and complain about slow data speeds, or vice versa. May force their phone to a 3G connection only and have no service.

If 3G is available in most cases its better to use that. Less confusion to be caused as well as most consumers don't need to be playing in those settings.

T-Mobile trusts customers enough to let them decide, AT&T doesn't.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    See the general idea is to get everyone off the GSM network in 3G capable areas. Now in a perfect setting it works fine, but there are a couple of situations where it may be better to force to GSM or 3G. But the consumer may forget or purposefully force their phone to GSM only and then call and complain about slow data speeds, or vice versa. May force their phone to a 3G connection only and have no service.

If 3G is available in most cases its better to use that. Less confusion to be caused as well as most consumers don't need to be playing in those settings.

T-Mobile trusts customers enough to let them decide, AT&T doesn't.
    The bolded part pretty much answered the question. This is probably how AT&T would justify their reasoning for forcing the SIM card program to hide the advanced network menus. I don't think choice or trust are issues as you claim, but think that it's one of those things AT&T thinks their consumers don't really need as a feature.

If you really wanted a choice, a better one would be able to select the cell ID/channel. 2G/3G? I (as a Hofoer) don't really care for that as a feature as being able to select cell ID/channel.

Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    If you really wanted a choice, a better one would be able to select the cell ID. 2G/3G? I (as a Hofoer) don't really care for that as a feature as being able to select cell IDs.
    Old Nokia firmware allowed selecting or avoiding a particular site, I think by channel. That was the firmware which had Network Monitor in it, as a general engineering mode.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is available on the iPhone so atleast one phone can.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg 23 View Post
    This is available on the iPhone so atleast one phone can.
    iPhone is not branded by AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    iPhone is not branded by AT&T.
    Manual carrier selection is suppressed on iPhones as well. It's a function of the SIM, not a function of the phone.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    No, it's because AT&T has automatic load balancing between the 2G and 3G networks, so allowing users to manually select the network would completely negate that whole effort. That said, smartphones are generally allowed to attach to the fastest available network, but dumbphones can be directed to whichever network AT&T wants you to be on.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Manual carrier selection is suppressed on iPhones as well. It's a function of the SIM, not a function of the phone.
    I thought we were talking about the ability to force the phone to be on 2G only.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I thought we were talking about the ability to force the phone to be on 2G only.
    Manual network selection and forcing phones to use 2G/3G are a part of the same feature set that AT&T doesn't want its end users to access themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast