Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone getting a Touch Pad?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Anyone getting a Touch Pad?

I had a chance to play with one the other day.

The unit itself felt solid but it was also a little bulky.

As always WebOS works really well but it's impossible to forget the lack of apps especially when you can buy an iPad or Android tablet for similar money.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Nope.

#1, build quality. It has the same sharp unfinished edges problem the original Pre had, meaning that moving from Palm to HP hasn't improved the build quality. HP didn't have a good rep there to begin with.
    #2, resolution. XGA doesn't cut it at that size, HD resolution minimum, 1366x768 ideally.
    #3, screen quality. A tablet is pretty much all screen, they shouldn't be skimping. Not unless it's ultra cheap.
    #4, size. The PlayBook showed that 7" is pretty ideal for that form factor, at around 10" I'll wait a year for the Asus Transformer 2 running Windows 8.
    #5, fingerprint magnet. It's a horrible idea, companies need to be punished for putting out so much crap with glossy plastic.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Agreed. For the price I would buy an android tablet over this any day. 2nd choice would be an iPad.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I'm inclined towards 7 inch Honeycomb when I get bored of my Nook, but so far the only option there is Acer and I'm not impressed with the reviews. Maybe the next generation.

The 8.9" form factor of the Optimus Pad/G-Slate is actually reasonably nice too, but the pricing its way off.

I like the keyboard dock idea with the Transformer, but realistically I already have an aging laptop that MUST be replaced with another Windows machine due to professional proprietary software beds, and I also have a (less) aging netbook which I bought back when netbooks seemed like the future. So there its really no niche right now for me to get a "laptop... ish".

So far my ideal next tab would have to be multi core, 7-9", have a cellular radio (save my poor cell battery from tethering!), have at least Honeycomb, and arrive in stores shortly after I procure a lucrative job. ;-)

Sent from my Nook Color!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    With the recent price drop from HP and additional savings that can be found I am tempted. My fear is that HP will see the poor sales and it will become a brick with no support. I know that the Pre3 was announced in Europe but there are several carriers who are passing and no direct carrier support. I really liked webOS, but afraid it may have died with Palm. Also the improved TouchPad was announced in France, but it is pricey and only available in the 64GB size hence the price. If I find an extra $350 I may, but I will probably save it for iPad 3.
    Phone OS's used: iOS; Android; BB 6,7,10; WP 7,7.5,8
    Current phone OS's: iPhone 6 (Sprint), iPhone 7+ (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just got a 32gb for $170 after tax

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    If I can manage to find one in stock I'll definitely be picking one up today. Those fire-sale prices are just too tempting.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I think they're all gone already. Staples.ca had them in stock. I checked back literally a couple of minutes later and they were all out of stock!

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the online stores were pretty much empty by the time I even heard, was hoping to find one brick & mortar. No such luck by the time I got off of work.
    Last edited by turbogeek; 08-20-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I barely managed to find mine. It is a 16gb and it was the demo unit at best buy and I grabbed it for 69.99 instead. So far no issues. Played with it a lot and have music on there now and really like it

Feedback Score
    No luck finding one locally, but I hope I'll manage to find one once the impulse buyers/hoaders/scalpers get bored. Would be more attractive if there were more certainty around the future android port

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I tried to get one when they were liquidating it for $99 and $149 at BestBuy & FutureShop but in the 2 BestBuys that I visited and the 3 FutureShops that I visited, they were sold out.

For me, at the liquidation price, I was interested in it for basic web browsing and maybe as a book/document reader.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, Samsung Gear S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like I scored one from the hp website and one from amazon - but I wont believe either until they arrive at my door.

Carrier(s)
    Soup Cans and String Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Too many good points in this thread to go back and quote, I agree with lots of them (HP's piano black is a fingerprint nightmare, brick/paperweight potential, apps may be an issue?).

But how pessimistic, realistically, can we be? Now that they've sold...what...at least 200,000 of them this weekend alone, won't there be some people WAY smarter than I tinkering, improving, and publishing applications and programs for the rest of us? Anyone know how many HP had built initially? Official word is once the first run is sold, there won't be any more. In other words, every Touchpad is already built.

Getting a 32GB, it was in stock when I ordered it I think the ~10" screen size is right on the money. Not 7" like a Playbook, not an almost-laptop-screen-sized iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by briancanada3 View Post
    I barely managed to find mine. It is a 16gb and it was the demo unit at best buy and I grabbed it for 69.99 instead. So far no issues. Played with it a lot and have music on there now and really like it
    Eek!

DO NOT BUY A DEMO MODEL

Confirmed, according to HP Support Forum [hp.com], Precentral 1 [precentral.net], Precentral 2 [precentral.net] the demo TouchPad can be reset so that it won't install the demo software, but it still will be unable to create an account. Thanks to BluMaterial, original post below.

Quote from BluMaterial View Post :
    I can't edit the wiki (don't know why), but someone needs to add this: DO NOT buy a demo model! The demo models cannot be used to create a WebOS account, and if you can't create an account the touchpad is just a brick. This has been verified by HP tech support. There is currently no plan to enable WebOS accounts on demo models. The stores shouldn't have sold them in the first place.
    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/5710...b-100-32gb-150
    Windows Phone.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Trying to get one. But where?

Trying to find one online and within Canada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast