iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    http://mynokiablog.com/2011/06/25/do...o-even-matter/

No, it doesn't. MeeGo isn't going anywhere. Intel was supposed to supply Moorestown last year, meaning rather than relying on Debian for ARM compatible packages you could rely on RPMs that are Intel compatible. MeeGo Handset UX is also woefully under developed, it's better than OpenMoko, but that's not saying much.

MeeGo for phones isn't going anywhere, but for in-vehicle systems and Netbooks it definitely could go somewhere. The Asus X101 is going to do what the Eee PC originally should have done, and will take MeeGo Netbook UX places. That's it though.

The N9 will just be a Coda to Nokia's Maemo experiment.

I've been out of the scene for a while (if I was even in the "scene" in the first place) but do you really believe it has no life for mobile? Maybe this year or next year or even 2 years from now it doesn't but I think it's more of a 2014-2015 thing. I don't know really but I think maybe you know better and I was wondering if you think there is any possibility for a future in mobile. Maybe you are right and it just won't happen.

Also as much as Intel keeps pushing atom and making dumb promises I don't think realistically x86 could have a place in mobile for another 2-3 years. Besides I can't see the point of carrying all that x86 baggage when ARM is so perfectly optimized for low power and getting more powerful every year. Heck even Windows 8 will run on it. Intel has nothing to compete with ARM so I guess they have to tell tall tales about Atom. Just like they have nothing to compete with AMD/nVidia and they tried their Larrabee thing. I respect Intel a lot but they sometimes seem like a one trick monopolistic pony.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lots of interesting facts: http://shootspeak.com/2011/06/24/nok...dbits-updates/

The same inconvenience came with the transition from Mini SD to Micro SD. You can't fight progress.
    Your example would make sense if a) EVERY GSM phone ever created used Mini SD at some point; b) it was actually in wide use longer than 2-3 years (that's being generous) and c) the Mini SD was REQUIRED for the phone to function as a phone

I wonder what other trends Nokia will take from Apple.
    I want to buy your Nokia E7.

HoFo Feedback (9+, 0-)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by newtype View Post

Looking at the home screen, all the wrong ones. :\
    ---
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

Quote Originally Posted by sjhong
    The 3.5 inch touch screen, the 32Gb internal memory and the qwerty keyboard are features I can no longer live without.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by newtype View Post
    Lots of interesting facts: http://shootspeak.com/2011/06/24/nok...dbits-updates/

Your example would make sense if a) EVERY GSM phone ever created used Mini SD at some point; b) it was actually in wide use longer than 2-3 years (that's being generous) and c) the Mini SD was REQUIRED for the phone to function as a phone

Let's look at it this way. I had a Nokia 6620, bought an RS-MMC for it, I upgraded to a Nokia E62 and had to buy a Mini-SD for it, then went to a Nokia N95 8GB for which I couldn't expand the memory at all, and then a Nokia 5230 that used Micro-SD. Every single Nokia I've bought has used a different memory card interface, it's not convenient at all.

There's also the thing that I really have no interest in going back to any Nokia after using an N9. Who would want to use Symbian after they've used Maemo, there's only going forward. If Nokia Windows Phones also use a Micro-SIM it's all good. If they use regular SIMs, then I'd be pissed off.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
    Looking at the home screen, all the wrong ones. :\
    The home screen really isn't that different from what Symbian has had for ages. They replaced the active standby screen with the lock screen. The app screen is very familiar. Multitasking is a hell of a lot better than anything else. The notifications screen is also pretty nice, and is not all that different from more recent Symbian phones. Apple wasn't really that creative with what they did for the iPhone, it's not like Nokia was copying them there.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329 View Post
    I've been out of the scene for a while (if I was even in the "scene" in the first place) but do you really believe it has no life for mobile? Maybe this year or next year or even 2 years from now it doesn't but I think it's more of a 2014-2015 thing. I don't know really but I think maybe you know better and I was wondering if you think there is any possibility for a future in mobile. Maybe you are right and it just won't happen.
    I think we just need to look at how things are and what the competition is like. Developers are dropping established platforms, like Symbian and now BlackBerry, and webOS's future is uncertain. How can MeeGo do? There isn't an actually MeeGo phone available on the market, only the N900 with it installed, but it can barely do anything, it has less features than S40 or BADA at the moment. Nobody has even announced an actual MeeGo phone or expressed anything more than passing interest in it. How is MeeGo going to get anywhere in mobile if nobody is making a MeeGo phone? It's admittedly something of a self fulfilling prophecy, but with the current market there really isn't that much reason to go MeeGo. An interesting thing to even throw out is that Gnome 3 has a very touch friendly interface, and on a 4.3" screen, a regular Gnome Shell desktop could work very well. All it needs is some slight modifications to work in portrait mode (which wouldn't be that much work) and drivers for the radio and a program for calls and it would be ready to go. Why use MeeGo when you can just throw on a regular linux distro and give people a smartphone that literally is a computer in their pockets? Even that isn't that likely, but it's possible. The same issue is there with the MeeGo Netbook UX. Ubuntu Unity is there, KDE Plasma Netbook is there, Gnome 3 is there. MeeGo doesn't really offer anything anymore - it had a window of opportunity and missed it. The same has happened with Smartphones. MeeGo had to be released and viable last year.

Also as much as Intel keeps pushing atom and making dumb promises I don't think realistically x86 could have a place in mobile for another 2-3 years.
    Even if they can bring it in in 2-3 years, I think it's unlikely they'll be used in MeeGo phones.

Besides I can't see the point of carrying all that x86 baggage when ARM is so perfectly optimized for low power and getting more powerful every year. Heck even Windows 8 will run on it. Intel has nothing to compete with ARM so I guess they have to tell tall tales about Atom. Just like they have nothing to compete with AMD/nVidia and they tried their Larrabee thing. I respect Intel a lot but they sometimes seem like a one trick monopolistic pony.
    Intel has shown they're really good at performance and power draw going all the way back to the Pentium M, so they're more than just a one trick pony, and I think they do have a shot in the mobile space, but they need a platform that'll work for them. I guess in that case they'll make sure MeeGo does get released so there's at least one operating system running it, but I think they've got a better shot at Linux MIDs, and focusing on tablets than on smartphones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The home screen really isn't that different from what Symbian has had for ages.
    Step backwards from Symbian^3 and two steps backwards from Maemo's completely open system.

They replaced the active standby screen with the lock screen. The app screen is very familiar. Multitasking is a hell of a lot better than anything else. The notifications screen is also pretty nice, and is not all that different from more recent Symbian phones.
    Notification screen could be nice, especially if it's tied into something like Maemo notification bar.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Symbian^3's a mess. Of course if you like widgets that much, you can go with Android (which is also a mess). Harmattan is clean and efficient, actually usable for people who haven't had Symbian before.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Let's look at it this way. I had a Nokia 6620, bought an RS-MMC for it, I upgraded to a Nokia E62 and had to buy a Mini-SD for it, then went to a Nokia N95 8GB for which I couldn't expand the memory at all, and then a Nokia 5230 that used Micro-SD. Every single Nokia I've bought has used a different memory card interface, it's not convenient at all.

There's also the thing that I really have no interest in going back to any Nokia after using an N9. Who would want to use Symbian after they've used Maemo, there's only going forward. If Nokia Windows Phones also use a Micro-SIM it's all good. If they use regular SIMs, then I'd be pissed off.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, however, it's always nice to have the option to go back to a regular phone without fiddling with plastic adapters. Also, I can't see Nokia going Micro SIM-only for the foreseeable future.

(sigh) Who knows what they are thinking anymore..

Symbian^3's a mess. Of course if you like widgets that much, you can go with Android (which is also a mess). Harmattan is clean and efficient, actually usable for people who haven't had Symbian before.
    The more I use Android, the more I realize that it is truly, well, a mess. Something is always slowing my phone down; my battery is always going rogue; widgets randomly stop updating; the keyboard grows unresponsive over time; etc -- it just feels like there is just too much going on, even with 1GHz+ processors and 512MB+ of RAM. Android is fun to infinitely tweak and move stuff around, but at the end of the day, it's nice to just have your device work and prove itself to be reliable.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5