Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Xoom 4G LTE Upgrades?

Who else here has the Motorola Xoom tablet and has gotten their e-mail offer to get the 4G LTE modem upgrade yet?

I read on the news wires a few days ago that the e-mails are rumored to be arriving in user's mailboxes, but I haven't received anything yet for mine. I purchased mine pretty late in the game though, so if they have limited capacity to complete upgrades I can understand they're probably giving them out to people who bought earliest first but just hoping to get an idea of how long it might be before I get the upgrade offer.

Source: http://www.cellfanatic.com/2011/06/0...eive-an-email/

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those emails were sent in error:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/08...mail-in-error/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A guy commenting on that post "2Ceedz" is reporting that you can get upgrades by just calling Verizon and asking for it. I haven't heard a peep yet and have tried to avoid being the guy who calls every week - haha. I'm anxious as anyone, but I'm relaxed in knowing that nobody else is enjoying an LTE Android tablet just yet, so I'm relatively calm.

All I have to say though, is, if an average Joe customer manages to get their hands on a LTE enabled Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and fires it up before I've at least smelled a shipping label, I'm going to be extremely pissed.

--Kidd

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    A guy commenting on that post "2Ceedz" is reporting that you can get upgrades by just calling Verizon and asking for it.
    Not true either. The LTE upgrade for the Xoom is not ready yet, and probably won't be until July or August based on all accounts. Once it is ready, I'm sure they'll make everyone very aware of it since it's been delayed.

And having the LTE Galaxy Tab 10.1 with be released before the Xoom gets upgraded is entirely likely at this point, although Verizon has yet to start taking the pre-orders that were supposed to start on June 8. Nvidia recently pointed to it's impending release in order to attempt to refute the rumors of the Tegra 2 and LTE not playing nicely (and causing the delay of the Xoom's upgrade and the delay/redesign of the Bionic).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Why didn't they just include an LTE chip in the first place?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Because it wasn't ready. And that's why there's still no upgrade and why the Bionic was delayed and redesigned - it isn't ready. Motorola has had some sort of significant problems with it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Not true either. The LTE upgrade for the Xoom is not ready yet, and probably won't be until July or August based on all accounts. Once it is ready, I'm sure they'll make everyone very aware of it since it's been delayed.
    I may make a call or two and see what I can find out. I know the Internet has some crazies that will say anything, but it doesn't make much sense why a moderator of that site would stick their neck our and say it's available when it's not. They risk tarnishing the reputation of the site itself.

And having the LTE Galaxy Tab 10.1 with be released before the Xoom gets upgraded is entirely likely at this point, although Verizon has yet to start taking the pre-orders that were supposed to start on June 8. Nvidia recently pointed to it's impending release in order to attempt to refute the rumors of the Tegra 2 and LTE not playing nicely (and causing the delay of the Xoom's upgrade and the delay/redesign of the Bionic).
    Yes, nVidia did say that their chip was not the fault and that's pretty much it. I always thought the speculation of incompatibility between SoC (CPU) and LTE radio sounded kind-of wacky, but I come from a PC background where most things are distinct chips - these new embedded systems have so many dependencies that I had to give a satisfaction of the doubt that there could be something, but it looks like it's turned out to be nothing.

I bought the Xoom because it was advertised not only by Motorola, but by Verizon as being the world's first LTE enabled tablet. If they're beaten to the launch by Samsung, I have a great reason to be completely ticked at both of them. It's ridiculous it's taken this long to be released. I wasn't an early adopter and seeing how late I was to join the owner's club, I retrospectively feel bad for the others who've been waiting longer than me to get the upgrade.

--Kidd

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Great question. Better question is why didn't Xoom ship with a functioning MMC? The other Honeycomb tablets have it.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs, iPad (2018), Novatel 7730L
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    According to multiple sources, Android 3.X doesn't officially support SD Cards yet. The other tablets (Acer, ASUS) had to apply a hack. Which isn't that great actually. You can only access the SD card from a file explorer. Not through the gallery or music player. Which kind of destroys the point of a SD.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I called into Verizon today after seeing the pre-orders are starting for LTE Samsung Tabs. The lady wasn't able to offer me any upgrade path other than to sign up for the mailing list that I already used at http://phones.verizonwireless.com/xoom/upgrade/. I signed up again and expressed dismay that someone might be getting an LTE Samsung tab before my Xoom that I bought months ago and she agreed it's not a great situation but she didn't know any other option. I didn't press the issue, but I will grow more and more restless as the weeks go by and will undoubtedly call more until someone offers me something - this is pretty ridiculous.

--Kidd

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good news - looks like the Xoom LTE upgrade finally passed through the FCC. Now we just need Verizon to send out the letter announcing how to get our tablets upgraded:

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/07/12/a...om-passes-fcc/

--Kidd

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    I bought the Xoom because it was advertised not only by Motorola, but by Verizon as being the world's first LTE enabled tablet. If they're beaten to the launch by Samsung, I have a great reason to be completely ticked at both of them.
    Prepare to be ticked off at both. The LTE Galaxy Tab 10.1 is being released on Thursday: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/23...28-on-verizon/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Prepare to be ticked off at both. The LTE Galaxy Tab 10.1 is being released on Thursday: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/23...28-on-verizon/
    I saw that article. I will be on the phone with Verizon that day. Absurd.

--Kidd

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Should get an email today if you have one about the upgrade. Will be available in Sept. sometime.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lucky for Verizon, I've been busy enough that I just haven't felt like calling to whine about this yet. Saw this news article posted a few days ago that may be helpful to others on here:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/25/motoro...ins-next-week/

I hope they get this over quick so I can get mine upgraded soon!

--Kidd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast