Thread: Unlimited Talk plan incompatible with SIM card or postpaid? Activation hell at dealer

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Unlimited Talk plan incompatible with SIM card or postpaid? Activation hell at dealer

I was looking at the messy Solo Mobile website, and am interested in the Unlimited Talk plan for Vancouver, but only if they allow SIM card. I read somewhere (forgot where) that this plan is incompatible with the SIM card, but I couldn't get any confirmation from it.

So yesterday I phoned Solo Mobile to confirm that, and I was told that he could not confirm it either, but he doesn't think any reason why it could not. And he told me to go to a store (he said any Bell store), to confirm that.

So I went to a store, which looks like a Bell corp store, but it is actually a dealer called WorldLynx. I told the sales person / staff there that this is what I want, and if I can use SIM card with that. He said yes. And I also asked quite a few other questions. He told me that this plan is on a 2 year term, and I said I already have a phone and I don't want a term contract. Then he told me that it can be postpaid with no term, and I said ok. Then he told me that there will be a $35. activation fee, and I asked him if I activated it through the website, if there is the same $35. activation fee, and if there is, then I'll pay them. He checked and couldn't find it, and then he told me if I activated it through them under postpaid, then no activation fee, only $5. for the SIM card, but if I activated with them via prepaid, then they will charge $35. activation fee. Since he told me that the plan can be under both prepaid or postpaid, and he offered me a choice, I chose postpaid as I don't mind, and also to save the activation fee.

Then he told me that the Voice Mail is $7., but I told him that I saw it as an option as $5. on the Unlimited Plan. He didn't think so but he found that later on on Solo website. After a few more detail questions asked, I think I have everything and the sales guy asked me if I want to activate. I told him if all the conditions met: Unlimited Talk for $25., Voice Mail for $5., and can use SIM card, then I will activate.

Then he asked me for ID, credit card and proceeded to activate it. And then he hit an obstacle finding the plan and the option. Nothing he can find fits, so he phoned the Solo dealer support line, and was put on hold a few times, causing lots of delay. At the end, I have been standing at the dealer for 2 hours already. After many holds, and dealer support rep also attempted to escalate it, they came back and the final answer is:

Unlimited Talk plan is incompatible with the SIM card.

I was disappointed and I told the sales guy that that was the first question I asked at the store, and he told me yes. And then when he phoned the support line, he should have been told that also. It shouldn't have taken that long to find that out.

The account was all set up for me, even a phone number selected, and the SIM card activated, and even tested. So the final step of getting the right plan and option got stuck.

He told me that it'll be cancelled, and that's it. I walked away and thanked him anyway. I did not sign any documents, did not pay any money, did not take away the SIM card, and I got back my ID and credit card. So all is good right?

I received 3 emails from Solo Mobile, the last one today, saying that "they are pleased to confirm my activation....". So obviously the first thing I want to do is to phone Solo's Customer Service to make sure that the account activation has been reversed. But it was not the case. The rep told me that the account is active and no cancellation has been made.

I told the rep more on the whole story, and she advised that she can migrate this postpaid line to prepaid, and then I can have that plan, and she would even waive the $35. fee normally required. But she can't do it right away, and an Account Solution rep will call me back in a day or two to do that for me. After some discussion, I declined that move, and said I want to make sure that this activation is retracted (she kept using the word "cancellation" which has a hidden meaning that an actual accepted activation had occurred, which I kept correcting her on the wording). She said she cannot do it herself, and have to wait for Account Solution. She also said she asked her Help Desk if she could phone the store, and her Help Desk told her not to phone. Later on, I persuaded her to phone the store, but the store did not answer the phone on numerous tries.

But what she told me is in contrary to what the store told me (or what the store was told by their support line from Solo). She said that the Unlimited Talk is incompatible with the postpaid plan activation, not because of the SIM card. The store told me that it is because of the SIM card (similar to what I read somewhere). She said that it is (categorically after I asked her to confirm at the end of the phone call). She also checked with something / someone while on hold to find this answer too.

But why is this seemingly simple activation so difficult and complicated? Why did everyone have a different answer? Let's try to look back here:

1. Phone call to Solo Mobile, told me that he cannot confirm if Unlimited Plan is compatible with the SIM card. I need to go to a store. Why couldn't he confirm that if he works in the New Activation dept?

2. At the store, why did the sales rep tell me that the Unlimited Talk plan can be activated on both postpaid and prepaid, if it is not? Why couldn't he find that out before he activated the account?

3. On their support line, why would that take over 30 minutes for the support line staff to find out about this plan and option? And then an escalation etc? Why was the answer "Unlimited Talk incompatible with SIM card", given by them? (unless the sales guy lied to me) if it is not true?

4. Or was the rep wrong when she confirmed that Unlimited Plan is compatible with SIM card, but on prepaid?

Solo Mobile has been in business for about 6 years now, they are not a new business. They are also a brand under Bell, which is a huge company with virtually unlimited resources. Why can't they do simple things like this?

I would not have gotten myself into this, if it is not because of the hard to understand website. I could have ordered the service and SIM through the website if they allowed it, but I can only select a CDMA phone. I would not have been at the store, if the rep on the phone could have confirmed this over the phone, and not telling me to go to the store. I wouldn't have to wait over 2 hours for nothing at the store, if they know what they are doing, or the support line staff knew what he/she was doing.

I wouldn't have to phone the Solo CS, if the cancellation went through properly, or at least I will get a quick and short answer with "it's all good".

And then I wouldn't have to write this post, and then gotten the bashing from fellow members pointing at me "oh look, he's whining and ranting and on a rampage again". Everything above is true, 1st hand first person experience. I risk my personal identity to be exposed whenever I posted my own stories, only for every other members to share, and they learn from my (painful sometimes) experiences. (because obviously the store has all my personal info).

Now I wonder even if I could now get Unlimited Talk on prepaid and on SIM, should I still go ahead with it. Solo just doesn't seem trustworthy and reliable enough. It seems nobody knows what's going on, and no info is consistent. I thought Fido was bad, well, they are not alone.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't really read the whole thread, but the rep from the point of purchase can simply perform a "No Show" in the system. Takes 2 seconds, cancels all charges.
    Also, all Solo plans that are current are compatible on HSPA.
    Also, all Solo plans that are current are available without term.

Carrier(s)
    Telus, Fido, Wind, Chatr
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    I didn't really read the whole thread, but the rep from the point of purchase can simply perform a "No Show" in the system. Takes 2 seconds, cancels all charges.
    Also, all Solo plans that are current are compatible on HSPA.
    Also, all Solo plans that are current are available without term.
    Thanks!

I want to try their $35 zone plan + 1 GB data because it looks like the best plan going right now. But I keep reading Solo rants.

I am hoping it will work on a factory unlocked iPhone 4 (I cut my own sims all the time).

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    WorldIRC, since you are a very busy person, I will make an executive summary for you, no charge.

I was told Account Solution will phone me today or tomorrow (Sunday, I hope she meant the coming one, not a Sunday next nonth), and thus I will wait.

I will not pursue the store yet, I will give them a few days to sort things out. No problem. I don't want to waste my time either (wasted enough already).

After 2+ hours at WorldLynx store, the final answer from the store staff was that the Unlimited Talk plan is incompatible with HSPA (thus SIM card). It was made appeared that he received that info from their support line rep, who spent a very lengthy time (putting the store on hold), in order to find this out. But from what you said, this shouldn't be the case.

When I phoned the postpaid CS, to inquire about why it wasn't cancelled. I was told that the Unlimited Talk plan is incompatible with postpaid, and that was why the store couldn't activate it. (I don't mind prepaid or postpaid, I just want the plan and use SIM card on HSPA phone, that's all). This is also in contradiction to what you said here.

WorldIRC, I rather believe you, but for now I don't know what to believe anymore. You guys always told us not to believe what is posted on the internet, and also told us to believe the official words. The 2 above are official words!

Oh, and the reason why it took so long at the store, because the staff could not even find the plan on his computer screen (not to mention the voice mail is $7. rather than $5. which is the option I could click on Solo website, and he checked and he acknowledged that was the case on the web).

I will update once I hear from Account Solution, but may be you can tell me what I should do if I want the Unlimited Text (for $25.), and on HSPA, what should I do? It seems like it's worse than pulling teeth only wanting to give them business???

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I waited on Sat and Sun and nobody from Solo Mobile phone me, despite the rep said someone from Account Solution would do on Sat or Sun. I should have asked her which Saturday or Sunday, darn, I forgot to confirm, how stupid of me.

I went back to the dealer, and the guy who "helped" me was on the phone, and another staff served me, and I explained the situation (told them about the email and that I was there etc). She noticed that the account was indeed not closed, and she interrupted the guy to show him that he did not close the account, and that's how it should be closed. Then she printed off 2 pages for me to keep, to confirm that the account was closed, and told me that there was something wrong with the system. I didn't care about her lie, as long as she did the action that is important. But she could be honest about it also. I would give them credit if they can be at least honest about it. I also did not fault the guy completely because he was mainly ignorant, but did not seem to be trying to trick me or anything. Only his incompetence has cost me over 3.5 hours now in total (not including driving time to the store etc).

Anyone trying to do anything slightly complicated, please avoid the WorldLynx chain. They do not have trained staff. Their staff doesn't even know how to cancel an invalid activation. Be aware and caveat emptor.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @fortismo

I would have been furious had I been in your shoes. You do know that they also did a credit check when you handed over your ids. I dont know why you are not complaining about that.

Sent from my LG-P500h using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Amazing how hard it is to open the agreement, and click CANCEL. LOL

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How hard? The saga continues. After that weekend and not hearing from anybody from Solo, and definitely not from Account Solutions, so I went back to the store on Monday (4 days after the initial non-activation) to inquire about it. Another staff served me, while the original staff was there while helping some other customer (I wish them luck). She looked it up, and did a cancellation, and printed 2 pages off the status from the computer and gave the paper to me and said no worries, everything is fine. Again, I trusted her as I received some kind of cancellation confirmation as she put a highlighter to note that for me.

Fast forward a month later, I received an email from Solo yesterday, and said I have a bill that is $6.xx. So I phoned the Customer Service, and waited 20 minutes on the phone (at 2PM my time) to get to a rep. I asked why there was a charge, and I was told that that was due to the usage between activation date, and the cancellation date. I told him that I shouldn't have to pay that, and he asked me if I had returned the phone to the store. Obviously, all the time I took to tell both the store and the rep when I first phoned in, was not obvious to the rep I was talking to, because I already told the first rep that I did not take a phone nor a SIM card! And then he said he would waive the charge. I told him that I did not expect him to waive it, as if it is some kind of a "goodwill credit" but that should have never happened. As how I see it, Bell had all the info they needed to determine that there was no actual activation, no customer consent, no phones sold / SIM card taken, and no usage at all. The charge is either a mistake, or worse, fraudulent. I told him briefly how the whole story developed, etc. He eventually told me that there will be no more charges, and that charge was cancelled.

I asked a confirmation to be mailed to me or emailed, and he said there will be an email sent to me, but about 4 hours later, I still haven't received such confirmation. I did get an employee ID number though from him.

So why did the store tell me that there was nothing to worry about and gave me the whole cancellation, and then Bell would send me an email for billing me?

BTW, I found out that even though the store told me that they are only a dealer, the whole store said Bell, and they indeed process Bell warranty there.

@jattdesi, I knew there could be credit check only because I'm an avid reader of HoFo. The staff did not inform me that there was going to be a credit check (not that I mind it, as I knew that was the process).

Sure I want to complain, but I don't know how. All the higher up people are hiding behind their walled gardens.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I work for worldlynx BELLALIANT , different branch in the Atlantic ... Im sorry for the terrible service you had , trust me i know some employee like that and im very sorry for you, if the first staff would of done his job carefuly there would of been no charge billed to you... If you want to complain go ahead and talk to the manager of the store or the district manager, i hope that it will not happen again, im sorry,